3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 3:20 PM by Intel Corporation

Joule boot is very slow

zach_harvey

Hello,

I just recently updated my the BIOS on my Joule board to the latest (1d1) and the boot time is significantly longer. The boot time is now 3 to 5 minutes. Given that we are constantly rebooting while debugging, this adds up to a significant amount of wasted time. I see under the system setup -> boot menu in the BIOS there is an option for "Fast Boot" but it is disabled and the BIOS wont let me enable it again. Is there any way to improve the boot performance?

Thanks,

Zach

• 1. Re: Joule boot is very slow
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule platform.

That is very strange that your board takes 3 to 5 minutes to boot. I have updated the BIOS to the latest one and it just takes approximately 12 seconds to boot. Could you please let me know which OS and version you are using? Also, I would like to know more details about your issue.

Additionally, looking at the release notes it also indicates that enabling Kernel Debugger causes the BIOS to hang, so I’d suggest to check if it is disable (System Setup -> Debug Configuration).

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Joule boot is very slow
            zach_harvey

Hi Yermi,

We are using Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop.

With previous versions of the BIOS, the boot time to get to grub was relatively fast. After upgrading to the latest version, the boot time is significantly slower. When I looked at the debug output from the USB serial connection on the development board during boot, I can see that there is tons of system tests being run. I double checked the debug configuration and the kernel debugger is disabled. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Zach

• 3. Re: Joule boot is very slow
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Zach,

I have tested that BIOS version using the Ref-OS-IoT, which is the official OS. Ubuntu OS is out of our support scope, however, I was looking at the Intel Joule - Install Ubuntu 16.04, and it states that the Joule needs to have the BIOS updated to version #174. In case you need to use the latest BIOS version, I’d suggest you to contact Ubuntu support: https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/intel-joule/, since they can provide you a more accurate answer about this behavior.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.