1 2 3 4 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 9:27 PM by rguevara

Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK

kristwa

Hi!

I've just unpacked my new Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNK) and installed Windows 10 Creators Update along with running the Intel Driver Update tool to ensure that newest versions of drivers are installed. When connecting to my 4k monitor or my 4k TV the monitors starts acting weird resetting all the time. Almost seems like the display driver is reset, but I see no error events in Event Viewer at least. I've uploaded a video on my Onedrive which shows the problem in action on my TV.

I've tried two different cables (one of these cables was already connected running my old HTPC in 4k, though 30Hz). I've also tried connecting to another monitor I have that is 1440p, and that monitor seems to work perfect.

Is this driver issues or a faulty unit? Or anything else? Grateful for any insight.

Video showing problem on my 4k TV: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

• 1. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kristwa,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, try updating the BIOS; you can download the latest BIOS version here:
          BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A] and see F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Just to make sure you have the latest graphics driver it can be downloaded at the following link:
          Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

We have tested this unit several times and we have not experience this issue using 4K monitor, if the issue persists, make sure you are using high quality HDMI cable 2.0 and to update the firmware for the HDMI 2.0, you can download it here:
          HDMI 2.0 Firmware Update Tool for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAY and NUC7i3BN

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
            kristwa

Hi Ivan, thanks for your reply.

I've updated bios with the version you posted, along with new graphics driver versions and the HDMI 2.0 firmware.

The problem still persists.

The only thing I haven't really done is to buy a premium HDMI 2.0 cable, but I tried connecting the same cable on same monitor to my desktop with a Geforce 1080, and there I have no problems running 4k@60Hz.

Edit: Been trying around some more. Reinstalled and confirmed same behavior in 1607-version of Windows. Ended up uninstalling the graphics driver and running with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Eliminates problems with the blackouts, however not really a viable solution since 4k performance is terrible in video. Maybe a driver issue then?

• 3. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
              Intel Corporation

Well, this driver has been tested plenty of times and there is no problem when running 4k resolution.

What is the RAM part number that you are using and the TV and monitor model?

If you have the latest graphics driver, latest BIOS and Windows® up to date then try to see if there is an INF driver for your TV and monitor, you can try to get an INF file from your Monitor/TV manufacturer website.

If the problem persists, most likely you have a defective unit and it needs to be replaced, you can get a replacement either from the place of purchase or you can contact support to request a replacement.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                  kristwa

Hi,

Sorry for late reply as I've been away and unable to test. Just retested now and the problem is still the same.

My monitor is an Asus PB27UQ. On my TV it is connected via an Onkyo TX-NR747 receiver. I've pretty much decided to take the device back to the place of purchase and try with another.

• 6. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                    Intel Corporation

I’m sorry that the issue still persists after the update; if you decided to take the unit back to the place of purchase and you want to try with another one please let me know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

• 7. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                      satxSPURS

I and others have reported the same issue. A work around that has worked for me, is putting the unit to sleep and waking it back up. The problem is then eliminated till I reboot the unit.

• 8. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                        kristwa

Just tried this on my NUC, didn't seem to work unfortunately. Other than that I can also confirm that the behavior on my system is just as you described. If I manually set the refresh rate to 24Hz, there are no problems.

• 9. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                          Intel Corporation

Hello satxSPURS,

Thank you for the information; at this point let’s wait for the replacement to see how it goes, hopefully the replacement can solve the problem.

kristwa  I understand that this issue is happening after updating Windows to the latest Windows 10 Creators Update, if satxSPURS decides to replace the unit and this solves the issue I would suggest you to do the same thing if not we will need to further investigate the problem.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 10. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                            kristwa

I will try to get it replaced as soon as possible, but I see right now that the store has no replacement in stock, so it might take a few weeks before I get a new device.

I tried both on Anniversary Update (1607) and Creators Update (1703), so it shouldn't be related to the newest Windows version.

• 11. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                              Intel Corporation

Hello,

I have been testing this unit today but I have not experience this problem with the Creators Update (1703), at this point I suggest you to try with different cables.

Basically if this issue persists you will need to get a replacement for the unit, you can contact support to get a replacement.
                              You can either use the online service request or chat support to swift the process.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 12. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                                JasonAlec

Same issue, same model (NUC7i5BNK). Issue non-existent when running at 1080p/60Hz but if I wanted a 1080p display, I would've bought one instead of a 4K one. Contacted retailer and received replacement, updated everything but problem still persists.

Current Config:

Windows 10 Pro Creators Update (ver 1703)

BIOS: BNKBL357.86A.0045

HDMI 2.0 Firmware ver 1.66

Crucial 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 (CT2K4G4SFS8213)

Samsung 250GB EVO 960 NVMe SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)

Samsung 40-inch 4K TV (UN40KU6300)

AmazonBasics HDMI 2.0 Cable 6ft (HL-007306) - Used two of these to see if problem persisted after changing cable

Plugable USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Adapter - Flickers briefly instead of cutting out like the HDMI port but still in the same situations

Might I also point out that I've used the same TV and cables with a Lenovo Thinkcentre M700 and Dell XPS 13 and have had ZERO problems doing so.

EDIT: Fixed the problem for me. Go to Intel's driver download page for Intel Iris Plus 640 and download version 15.45.18.4664 (which is marked as previously released for some reason). Those of you that thought it was a driver issue were correct.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                                  Dewg

I'm having the same issue with my 7i7BNH - LG OLED TV, 4K (60Hz).  Video plays fine - YouTube, Hulu, Amazon, etc.  But when using Windows (Edge, Chrome, Notepad), any scrolling will cause the monitor to blank out for a second or two.  Keeps doing that over and over.  I've also confirmed that 4K, 10-bit video plays smooth without hiccups.

Windows 10 Creators

Latest Drivers from update utility

Latest HDMI firmware (1.66)

Now, before you say it's the cables, these are high-end 4K/60 HDMI cables.  *AND*, this 7i7BNH is replacing a 6i7 Skull Canyon unit on the same TV, which had 0 problems at the same resolution and refresh rate.

I can also confirm that if I use the Intel Graphics Panel utility to lower the refresh rate to 30Hz, the problem disappears.  Only when it's set to 59 or 60Hz does the problem happen, and only when using Windows - Video never causes it.

Something is up with the drivers, I'm guessing.

Edit:  There is also no Event Log reported with the screen blanks - so the driver isn't crashing - at least nothing Windows can see and report.

Edit 2:  My complete setup (which was identical on the Skull Canyon 6i7 unit):

NUC HDMI -> Denon 4K Receiver HDMI Input -> Monitor Out HDMI -> LG OLED 4K TV

I just unplugged the Skull Canyon NUC and plugged in the NUC7i7 unit.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Problems with 4k resolution on NUC7i5BNK
                                    kristwa

Hi Dewg, you write that Youtube video works fine. But that's not the case if you browse to Youtube on Chrome on the NUC right?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next