6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 3:20 PM by Intel Corporation

Problems installing REF-IOT-OS

griz11

Been working with ubuntu but decided to try ref-iot-os. But it won't install on the emmc. I get lots of errors like this when trying to install it.

[  290.351262] mmc1: tuning execution failed

[  290.361562] mmc1: tried to reset card, got error -5

[  290.372780] mmcblk0: retrying using single block read

[  290.390888] mmcblk0: error -110 sending status command, retrying

[  290.403455] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x800900

[  290.419437] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x800900

[  290.435458] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x800900

[  290.456856] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x800900

[  290.473711] mmcblk0: timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x80090

Then it finally says installation failed reboot or shell. Which doesn't work either it just keeps pumping out the prompt. I've used a usb stick and ssd to try to install. Even bought a new usbstick. Nothing works. Tried it without the monitor keyboard and mouse attached just using the serial console still no workie. It acts like it can't find sectors properly. I did see one message about not being able to find the alt-block for gpt. Tried reinstalling the bios. Ran REF-IOT-OS from the usb stick and used fdisk to look at the memory it all looks good. Partitions are there gpt partition is there. Fsck didn't show up any problems. Even rebuilt a copy of REF-IOT-OS and tried installing that just in case the file I downloaded was broken. Also putting a usb-c hub on the usb-c port allows you to use usb-sticks but not usb-drives in host mode. The usb drive just bangs the head against the stop continuously when you attach it.

• 1. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi griz11,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule™ Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues installing the Ref IoT OS. I was able to flash the image two weeks ago by following these steps:

1) Download the latest image Index of /ref-os-iot/releases/1703/5xx .

2) Create a bootable device IoT .

3) Flash the image following these guides:

- IoT
          - IoT

Also, be careful which boot device you choose in your BIOS.

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

• 2. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
            Intel Corporation

Hi griz11,

Were you able to install Ref IoT OS on your Joule? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
            -Jose P.

• 3. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
              griz11

No I wasn't able to reinstall it. But I found all the software for linux so no biggie. Its not wiping the boot and reinstalling the proper files looks like. In the install script it looks for an EFI partition for boot and if found wipes it and redoes it. However if its gpt it skips it and just writes the userspace files from what I can tell. Needs to redo the boot every time. Flash everything. Ubuntu puts the original files in a tar file. If something happens where that isn't able to be redone the boot partition is useless to ref-iot. And when you try and reinstall it doesn't rewrite it since its GPT. Didn't look at it that long but those things caught my attention. It also thinks the alt-block sector is in the wrong place. The driver reports 2048 bytes per block but ubuntu uses 512. Makes sense if it thinks the blocks are 2048 then when it looks for the alt-block that resides at the end of the filesystem it doesn't find it. All the calculations are off. Realsense SDK was what I needed for the slam package. Its all working on Ubuntu now that I found the libs. Yea I noticed when you insert a ssd its not the number you would think its going to be. Usually they are mmcblk1 not 0. Its hooked up to a Pixhawk as a companion computer. Getting close to having it up and running in my rover.

• 4. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
                Intel Corporation

Hi griz11,

I'm glad to know that you were able to obtain the libraries that you needed using Ubuntu. Thanks for sharing in just a detailed manner your experience, we will investigate more about this issue and share any results in here since it might be beneficial for other users wanting to change from Ubuntu to the Ref IoT OS.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                -Jose P.

• 5. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
                  Intel Corporation

Hi griz11,

We have done our own tests  going from Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 and Ubuntu Core to the Ref OS Image. However, we didn't encounter any issues, we have our Joule board with the latest BIOS 1D1, could you be so kind to tell us which BIOS version are you using?

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                  -Jose P.

• 6. Re: Problems installing REF-IOT-OS
                    Intel Corporation

Hi griz11,

We would like to follow up this case. Could you be so kind to provide us your BIOS version, so that we can attempt to replicate your issue.

We will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                    -Jose P.