Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

i7-7700K - officially supported RAM speeds, O.C. etc.

JMart58
Beginner

Hi! I'm building a new DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) PC and I'm trying to find suitable RAM for it, which turned out to be harder than I thought..

Basically I would like to get RAM with the highest (officially supported) base speed, because I've never delved into overclocking RAM/CPU and for whatever reason I fear that overclocking RAM and CPU might increase the risk of system instability. My fear may be totally groundless of course. But I was looking at the specs for Intel's i7-7700K processor and under "Memory Types" it says "DDR4-2133/2400". I would be correct in assuming that both those RAM speeds are officially supported, right? But when I read the specs on my Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard it says "2133 MHz / 2400 MHz (O.C.)" and so on. I guess the "(O.C.)" means overclocked. So I find this a bit strange. If I were to install a kit of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, would the RAM then be automatically downclocked to 2133 MHz? That would kinda defeat the purpose of buying 2400 MHz RAM if I don't intend to overclock the RAM, right?

What does "officially supported" mean in this sense, regarding the Intel processor? Is it that the 7700K is guaranteed to work with those two speeds (2133/2400) but overclocking the RAM to higher speeds might void the warranty on the CPU? I hope you can excuse me for my newbie questions here.. Hehe! Just trying to figure it out. It's been a looong time since my last build (which was a Core 2 Duo!)..

I understand that the 7700K unlocked with overclocking in mind (I bought the "K" version for the slightly higher speed, but having the option to overclock is a bonus), so I'd like to ask : IF I decided to try my hand at pushing some more speed out of the processor, what would be a reasonably safe frequency, with stability in mind - AND that I have the necessary CPU cooling in place of course. I just ordered a big Noctua cooler, hoping that would suffice for both scenarios.

That was a lot of questions, so thanks for your patience if you read through it all! Hoping someone would like to share some wisdom and very much needed advice! :-)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Datamaskin,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Your right, overclocking RAM and CPU will increase the risk of system instability. For you to run this system without issue we strongly recommend running the RAM and processor at 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz.

I would be correct in assuming that both those RAM speeds are officially supported, right?

That is correct.

If I were to install a kit of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, would the RAM then be automatically downclocked to 2133 MHz?

If you run the RAM at 2133 MHz it will not be downclock, it will be running under the processor specifications which is fine.

When you read the specs from the motherboard and you can see that you can run the RAM up to 3866(O.C.) is because the motherboard most likely can support up to this frequency when overclock but this is something we have not validated for the processor since we don't support overclocking.

What does "officially supported" mean in this sense, regarding the Intel processor?

Processor supports up to 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz which is the recommended for this processor because it is what Intel has validated.

Is it that the 7700K is guaranteed to work with those two speeds (2133/2400) but overclocking the RAM to higher speeds might void the warranty on the CPU?

Yes, the warranty will be void when a processor is overclock, but if you are planning to overclock this processor and not void the warranty you will need to purchase thehttps://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan Intel® Tuning Protection Plan.

Intel® Tuning Protection Plan https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/terms-and-conditions Terms & Conditions and https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq FAQ

When a system is overclocked there is no safe frequency, the safe frequency for this processor is 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz anything above that it is under the customers' responsibility.

The CPUs we make that are unlocked and the Intel® Extreme Edition Processors have a manufacturing process that makes them more robust to support customizations. This is because there is a sector of the PC market composed of power users, gamers and computer enthusiasts who wants to take the hardware beyond the factory configurations. Intel wants to provide to these people the ability to do so with our processors, but it is pretty known by the industry that any CPU being overclocked will be always at risk and will malfunction sooner or later; they are also pretty aware that they do that under their own risk as the product warranty doesn't cover overclocking.

It is common sense, you have a truck that can carry a maximum of 5 tons (top), and you cannot expect having the same truck pulling with the same efficiency 8 tons. You might do it once in a while but if you do it every day certainly the truck will start giving you problems and will break down. It is exactly the same principle for computer hardware.

This type of processors can handle configurations above the native specifications, but depends on how far you want to take it. Intel is not in position to tell what the maximum speed is when over clocking a processor. You can grab 10 CPUs of the same model with the exact same hardware, over clock them and you'll see that not all of them will be capable to reach the same speeds, precisely because they are being used out specifications. Intel can only grant that all of the units will run at the native maximum speed.

Our overclocking web site gives some recommendations for safe overclocking. Basically all you need to do is to increase the host frequency multiplier and that will automatically raise the final clock speed. It is not recommended to touch the CPU voltage or the CPU host frequency because that will affect the entire processor structure.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html Overclocking Intel® Processors

You can also check the following links for overcloking assistance in case you needed.NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Sincerely,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Datamaskin,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Your right, overclocking RAM and CPU will increase the risk of system instability. For you to run this system without issue we strongly recommend running the RAM and processor at 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz.

I would be correct in assuming that both those RAM speeds are officially supported, right?

That is correct.

If I were to install a kit of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, would the RAM then be automatically downclocked to 2133 MHz?

If you run the RAM at 2133 MHz it will not be downclock, it will be running under the processor specifications which is fine.

When you read the specs from the motherboard and you can see that you can run the RAM up to 3866(O.C.) is because the motherboard most likely can support up to this frequency when overclock but this is something we have not validated for the processor since we don't support overclocking.

What does "officially supported" mean in this sense, regarding the Intel processor?

Processor supports up to 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz which is the recommended for this processor because it is what Intel has validated.

Is it that the 7700K is guaranteed to work with those two speeds (2133/2400) but overclocking the RAM to higher speeds might void the warranty on the CPU?

Yes, the warranty will be void when a processor is overclock, but if you are planning to overclock this processor and not void the warranty you will need to purchase thehttps://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan Intel® Tuning Protection Plan.

Intel® Tuning Protection Plan https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/terms-and-conditions Terms & Conditions and https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq FAQ

When a system is overclocked there is no safe frequency, the safe frequency for this processor is 2133 MHz / 2400 MHz anything above that it is under the customers' responsibility.

The CPUs we make that are unlocked and the Intel® Extreme Edition Processors have a manufacturing process that makes them more robust to support customizations. This is because there is a sector of the PC market composed of power users, gamers and computer enthusiasts who wants to take the hardware beyond the factory configurations. Intel wants to provide to these people the ability to do so with our processors, but it is pretty known by the industry that any CPU being overclocked will be always at risk and will malfunction sooner or later; they are also pretty aware that they do that under their own risk as the product warranty doesn't cover overclocking.

It is common sense, you have a truck that can carry a maximum of 5 tons (top), and you cannot expect having the same truck pulling with the same efficiency 8 tons. You might do it once in a while but if you do it every day certainly the truck will start giving you problems and will break down. It is exactly the same principle for computer hardware.

This type of processors can handle configurations above the native specifications, but depends on how far you want to take it. Intel is not in position to tell what the maximum speed is when over clocking a processor. You can grab 10 CPUs of the same model with the exact same hardware, over clock them and you'll see that not all of them will be capable to reach the same speeds, precisely because they are being used out specifications. Intel can only grant that all of the units will run at the native maximum speed.

Our overclocking web site gives some recommendations for safe overclocking. Basically all you need to do is to increase the host frequency multiplier and that will automatically raise the final clock speed. It is not recommended to touch the CPU voltage or the CPU host frequency because that will affect the entire processor structure.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html Overclocking Intel® Processors

You can also check the following links for overcloking assistance in case you needed.NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Sincerely,

Ivan.

idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
McRoman
Beginner

THX for clearing this out, I was close to buy 3200 MHz , but this article save my day...

THX a lot,

/// McRoman /// SWEDEN

0 Kudos