4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 10:53 PM by rguevara

NUC7i3BNH + HyperX DDR4L-2133 CL13 latency issue

jaw

I have a question, I have the NUC7i3BNH with the 2×4 GB HyperX DDR4L-2133 Memory Modules (HX421S13IBK2/8) which are CL13, so really low latency.  Now here my Geekbench 4.1 results for Linux and Windows 10: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/2455073?baseline=2457960  shows a really bad latency score in the Linux run, and still a quite bad latency for windows compared to my desktop system with Skylake and CL15 memory:  https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/2331140?baseline=2455073  so even the better Windows 10 latency on the NUC with CL13 memory is much worse than my CL15 memory on the linux workstation. Anyone knows why? Or can compare their NUC's with my Geekbench results and see if it's similar?

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNH + HyperX DDR4L-2133 CL13 latency issue
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello jaw,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC community.

I would like to let you know that Linux has not been officially validated to work with this Intel® NUC Kit model. One more thing I would like to share with you is that benchmark tools are our of our scope since they may not provide accurate results when performing them. Based on your results I will try to do a research, and I will keep you posted as soon as possible.

More information about benchmark can be found here; Performance Benchmark Test Disclosure.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNH + HyperX DDR4L-2133 CL13 latency issue
            rguevara

Hello jaw,

I work for Intel Customer Support and I see what you are talking about but we officially cannot provide comments about it because the application that you are running is not Intel own and neither the memory.

I would encourage other fellow members to share their results so that you can compare and come up with your own conclusions.

I do recommend that you check the following article for further information (it is also from a third party source so content is not controlled by Intel but it is very educational).

Here is the URL: Memory - RAM Performance: Speed vs. CAS latency | Crucial.com

I hope this helps,

Ronny G 

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNH + HyperX DDR4L-2133 CL13 latency issue
              jaw

Well, what I've asked has nothing much to do with Linux. On Windows 10 it's the same story. More wanted to know if those latency issues could be a memory issue or a NUC7 issue... I'm familiar with the the facts behind the link you sent me. Thank you anyways. I'm sure you have tested the NUC's thoroughly and should be aware of any issue if it's on the NUC side, or with particular memory combinations, as you also give memory compatibility recommandations...

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNH + HyperX DDR4L-2133 CL13 latency issue
                rguevara

Hello jaw,

I really have very little to add to this topic, the system has only 2 memory slots (very limited in terms of options to play with memory configurations) and the memory controller is part of the processor. I cannot give you any specific recommendation about brands or models but only refer you back to our specifications and validation list but again I would encourage other community members to share their results so that you can compare.

Memory.jpg

Regards,

Ronny G