13 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 3:28 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS

Antonino

Dear Alberto
      i am folloving your suggestions in order to solve the problem of chipset driver not updating.
      For first thing i did updated bios to 0042 new version but at the startup my sistem give the message in the object: it's OK? or i must return to old bios?

Thanks for your answer, i will wait your answer before proceede with other actions

Antonino

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
          Antonino

Dear Alberto; waiting for you answer before to try to reinstall windows 10 i do the following actions:

1 - I check bios version. Now is the new one 0042 ande the messagga that is un unsopported legacy bios do not shows anymore at start-up (only at the fisrt start-up after update was showed

2 - Intel update driver utility in the scan continues to give chipset driver as old type 10.1.1.38 intead of new one 10.1.1.42. I did tried another time to update but nothing.
          I remeber you that yestarday i did made a manual update going in the "resorce manager" and testing driver configuration of each component and i force update where i found 10.1.1.38 using your file extracted in my NUC HD. Now there is only version 10.1.1.42. If i remember are 3-4 devices

3 - Now i did made the same thing with intel management engine but only in the device named "Intel(R) Management engine interface" . Infact also this driver was nou update by Inetl utility. With manual procedure at the first attempt the system say tha the installe one is the correct one , Burt in the second attempt show the two alternatives: the old one 11.0.6.1032 and the new one 11.0.6.1136 and give the capability to update. Now in my system is 11.0.6.1136.

4 - Running Intel driver update utility this shows always chipset and management engine needs to update

My System apparently works well

Thanks
          Antonino

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
            Antonino

Alberto
            some information and detail about my system
            In My NUC7i3BNH is installed
            1 - Samsung SM961 128GB SSD M.2 PCIe x4 NVMe as System and OS

2 - Hitachi 1TB 2.5" SATA 7200rpm 32MB E630 as secondary HD for file and back-up

3 - 2 X Kingston 4GB SoDimm DDR4 2133Mhz-15
            The other is INTEL
            BYE
            Antonino

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
              lw1948

Hello Antonino

1. As was already explained in other threads, the Intel Driver Update application isn't work correctly and therefore shall not be used yet for driver update.

2. Instead of automatically updating driver using the above mentioned program, you shall download the drivers from Intel Download site to your PC:Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH  .  Before you are downloading, you  shall mark in first line your Operating System: Windows 10 64bit. You shall download only those drivers marked in Version column by word "Latest". You can also press "Download driver bundle"  if you prefer, to download all the latest drivers at once.

3. Now, to install each drivers - if it is an .exe file, double click on it to install it or if the driver is packed in an .zip file, extract it first and then run a install.exe file.

4. The sequence of installing is not important. You don't need to reboot your NUC after each driver installation. You can reboot in the end after all driver are installed.

Hope this help

Leon

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                Antonino

Dear lw19498 Leon
                thanks very much for your answer:
                OK Intel driver is not so smart as Intel says; i agree, but is useful to understand what is scenario of intel driver in our PC.
                I did tried your method but for the two driver...chipset and amnagement engine ...no helps from this.

I was able to install only in manual: i try to explai better:

you will expand driver package in your PC in a directory and you mu rimember where is
                then you must find the resorces that uses this driver; this is not very easy; for chipset i open "all" devices present (about 30 minutes)
                then you clik on update drivere and indicates the direcory where have you put the extract
                You will see the compatible device and you can select the new version of driver.

In the case of management engine the first time the new driver was not showed enad i must reapeat the procedure.

However i hope Intel can be able to fix problem.

Bye and thanks

Antonino

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                  lw1948

Hi Antonino

Yes you are right, it shall be fixed in Intel. I saw that you are aware about similar problem as detailed here: Intel Driver Update Utitlity fails to update Intel Chipset Device Software for Intel NUC7i3BNK

Regards

Leon

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Antonino,

At this point, I suggest you to update the drivers manually; you can download them for the link posted above by lw1948, hopefully the Intel® Driver Update Utility will be fix soon but for now installing the drivers manually is the best way to go.

If you need anything else please let me know and I will be more than glad to assist you.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                      dougho

I am not from Intel and I am not clear that anyone has answered your specific question.

My experience with many different NUC BIOS updates is that every once in awhile after a proper update, Intel's message window which pops up upon login will say that (unsupported Legacy BIOS), instead of the normal window which says something like BIOS update successful.  However, in all cases I have encountered, the BIOS was updated successfully.  It is just a mistake that Intel displays that message sometimes on the first boot after the BIOS update.

I have never been able to narrow down the particular conditions which causes the wrong message to appear.  Seems like an intermittent bug to me that is "cosmetic" (functioned properly, but wrong message displayed) so it does not get fixed.

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                        Antonino

Dear dougho,

Thank you for your reply that on the one hand calms me but on the other it frightens me because I thought that buying an Intel product could have a more homogeneous and more stable environment instead of encountering more problems when assembling a PC with components of different builders .
                        I also chose the NUC solution for the HTPC because I thought it was better than the many "ad hoc" products on the market and above all easier to use.
                        Instead, I find that if on the one hand there is the advantage of having a real miniPC with a very high flexibility on the other, the complications and variables are so many and there are inexplicable shortages: from the optical audio output (not present) to the bug that is not allows True HD audio to pass through the HDMI port

By Antonino

• 9. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Antonino,

I’m sorry if you still have issues with your system, in order to fix this issue I would suggest the following:

To get rid of the unsupported Legacy BIOS my recommendation is to do a BIOS recovery, please check BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

You can download the latest BIOS version here:
                          BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

Also, if you are experiencing some audio issues, there is a HDMI 2.0 Firmware Update Tool that you can try in order to fix audio issues, also make sure you have the latest graphics driver installed, you can download it here:
                          Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

Please let me know if you need anything else and I will be more than happy to help you.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 10. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                            Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 11. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                              Antonino

Dear Ivan,

as written in the first post i did had the problem of error only in the first re-start after bios update; after this no more error messages and no problem seems related to bios.
                              It is strange that your NUC gives error message at first restart, also for only one time. Thaht's all

Tahnks

Antonino

• 12. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                                N.Scott.Pearson

This message appearing during the first boot after updating the BIOS happens because of a bug in the support for initiating the BIOS update process from within the Windows environment. It is a false-positive message; unless the wrong update package was used, the BIOS update most likely succeeded. If you want to avoid the chance of seeing this issue, simply install BIOS updates using the iFlash, F7 or Recovery methods (I recommend the F7 method).

...S

• 13. Re: NUC7i3BNH bios 0042 unsupported legacy BIOS
                                  Intel Corporation

You are more than welcome!

N. Scott Pearson is right about it and I hope you can have a good experience with the unit from now on.

Best regards,

Ivan.