1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 1:43 PM by Intel Corporation

AHCI driver required for XP system

johnxp

I have now spent weeks trying to get my existing Windows XP system set to AHCI. I have read numerous how-tos that don't apply to my motherboard/system, followed many dead links and attempted to install numerous drivers. All to no avail. Can anyone here help point me to the correct driver please ? My system details are ;

Operating System Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz   

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P55A-UD3R

Southbridge Intel P55 Revision 06

BIOS Brand Award Software International, Inc. Version F7

My current IDE (working) controllers are ; Intel 5 series/3400 series chipset family 2 port serial ATA storage controller - 3b26

and  Intel 5 series/3400 series chipset family 4 port serial ATA storage controller - 3b20

• 1. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
          Al Hill

Use the one provided by gigabyte:  GA-P55A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

Also, support for XP ended in APRIL 2014.

If you upgrade your to something supported, like Windows 7 or above, you will not have this problem.

Doc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

I understand you are trying to install Windows XP* with the BIOS SATA mode set to AHCI.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

You can download F6 driver for your specific motherboard model from this link http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Driver/motherboard_driver_intel_sataraid_bootdisk_irst_32.exe

Bear in mind that Windows XP* requires that you load the drivers from a floppy drive.  F6 drivers cannot be loaded using flash drives or external hard drives.

This link will show you how to load the F6 drivers during operating system installation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDT40ewh90

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,
            Fred

• 3. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
              johnxp

Thank you Al. I had looked on the Gigabyte site for updated driver downloads but hadn't been able to work out the steps required to get to the page you referenced. Thank you, very handy page to know about.

I am happy with XP so am in no hurry to update.

Regards, John.

• 4. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                johnxp

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for your help.

"I understand you are trying to install Windows XP* with the BIOS SATA mode set to AHCI."

Actually, no. XP is already installed. I see on the net that a number of people have successfully added the drivers to an existing install by updating existing drivers and then enabling AHCI in the BIOS. When I try to do this it doesn't work. Even when using the file you were good enough to reference for me. :-(

As I mentioned previously I have two current IDE (working) controllers. When I try to update the 4 port serial ATA storage controller I get that listed okay in the Hardware Update Wizard and it seems to install okay. With the 2 port serial ATA storage controller it is NOT listed in the Hardware Update Wizard. I then have a list of about 9 options ranging from an ESB2 Sata AHCI controller to an ICH 9R/DO/DH Sata AHCI controller. I have no idea if any of them are correct. The ones I tried didn't appear to work. The motherboard manual makes reference to an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH Sata Raid Controller, but it isn't in the list.

Do you know if both controllers need to be updated ? It seems to me that my system is either two ports OR four. Could I delete the two port entry ?

In any case, I get an odd message in the process of things going wrong. A text message saying something like "Serial HIH HHCI Bios, version 1SRC 1.2 OE Copyright (c) 2003-2008  Intel Corporation. This version supports only hard disk and CD Rom drives".

Do you have any idea what that is meant to tell me ? Or how to fix it ? Do I need to update the BIOS before I can successfully update my drivers to AHCI ?

Any help/feedback from yourself, or anyone else here, will be appreciated.

Regards, John.

• 5. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                  Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

Thanks for the additional details you are providing to us.

What happens is that if you want to change the SATA model from IDE to AHCI then the operating system needs to be reinstalled from scratch otherwise you will most likely get a blue screen of death.  Any other procedure for changing SATA mode from IDE to AHCI has not been validated by us so we can expect any type of behavior in the computer.

If the computer is currently working fine then you can keep using it the way it is right now.  If you want to set the SATA model to AHCI the best option would be doing a clean installation of Windows*.

Regards,
                  Fred

• 6. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                    johnxp

Hi Fred,

I decided to try out an nLite install. The problem however with that is the same as every other "How-to" I was reading. It says "add driver". Obviously meaning the correct driver(s). But how does one ascertain which one(s) is/are correct ? There are 15 options !!! See my attached image.

drivers.png

Going to the motherboard page at http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55A-UD3R-rev-10#support-dl does NOT help me to find out the "correct" one to choose. Or did I miss something ?

Could you (or someone else here) please advise which of the 15 drivers I should choose, and preferably how you arrived at your answer ? I presume one isn't meant to try each one "one by one" ? When I look at the motherboard manual it doesn't help. There are no specific instructions for installing AHCI drivers.

Regards, John.

• 7. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                      johnxp

Another question someone here might be able to help me with, related to this issue, is what ports are connected to which controllers ? My system appears to have Primary controllers etc. and a Marvell 91 XX SATA 6G controller under "SCSI and RAID" controllers. How do I find out which (I have more than one) HDD is attached to the Intel/AMD controller and which items are attached to the Marvell one ?

Secondly, how could I connect one drive to the Intel driver and a different one to the other driver ?  (Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3R)

Thirdly, could I have my Primary channel set for the Intel driver and my Secondary set to the Marvell?

Any feedback on these questions welcomed.  :-)

Regards, John.

• 8. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                        Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

From the list you may use the driver named “Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller”.

Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee 3rd part tools will be able to fix the issue you are currently having with the AHCI driver.

According to Gigabyte’s website the motherboard comes with 6 Intel SATA ports and 2 Marvell* SATA ports.  Usually motherboard manufacturers use colors to identify each SATA controller.  There is a chance your motherboard may have six SATA ports of certain color and two SATA ports of different color.  If you are not able to identify SATA ports by the color the best option would be contacting Gigabyte* so they can let you know how to exactly identify them.

When you say Primary Channel, are you referring to RAM memory?  If you are referring to RAM memory most likely it cannot be dedicated to a specific SATA controller.

Regards,
                        Fred

• 9. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                          johnxp

"the motherboard comes with 6 Intel SATA ports and 2 Marvell* SATA ports"

Thank you Fred. Now a few questions to help my understanding of things.

(1) Can I have one HDD on an Intel port and another on a Marvel GSATA3_6/7 port, at the same time ?

(2) I assume that they are interchangeable and that the system would see that setup the same way as if both were on Intel SATA ports ?

Regards, John.

• 10. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                            Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

Yes, you can have hard drives on both SATA controllers at the same time.  You should be able to transfer information between them.

If the operating system is installed in one of those hard drives and you move it to the other SATA controller Windows* would not boot.  The hard drives can be interchangeable if they are being used for storage only.

Regards,
                            Fred

• 11. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                              johnxp

Being directed to the right motherboard address, and AHCI driver, here has been a huge help. I also want to add AHCI to another XP system. Can someone please direct me to the right download page(s) for the following.

Intel Pentium E5400 CPU

Motherboard ASROCK G31M-S

Chipset P35/G33/G31

Southbridge Model 82801GB (1CH7/R)

Thanks.

Regards, John.

• 12. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                                Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

Please try using the same driver during operating system installation.  The “Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller” driver should be able to work with Intel P35/G33/G31 chipsets.

Regards,
                                Fred

• 13. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello johnxp,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the F6 driver you are trying to load during Windows XP* installation.  In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,
                                  Fred

• 14. Re: AHCI driver required for XP system
                                    johnxp

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your post.  :-)

I have managed to resolve the first of my two queries. Thanks to the help provided here. With the Gigabyte P55A-UD3R motherboard I did as follows to achieve an "in place" enabling of AHCI;

I replaced the Intel 5 series/3400 series chipset family 4 port serial ATA storage controller with the Intel 5 series/3400 series SATA AHCI controller, and disabled the other 5 series/3400 series controller. I then rebooted, changing the BIOS along the way, and everything is fine.  :-)

I still however have my second query unresolved. The ASROCK G31M-S motherboard doesn't seem to have a setting in the BIOS for enabling AHCI. At least I wasn't able to find it. The motherboard page at ASRock > G31M-S didn't appear to be of any help to me. :-(  I am not 100% sure what the BIOS is but I think I saw "American Megatrends 2.61" when I went to make a note of it.

If the BIOS doesn't offer AHCI then I am thinking that updating it would help. But what to ? I don't want to upgrade the BIOS and find out that AHCI still isn't an option. I posted to the ASROCK Intel Motherboards forum but have had no replies. :-(

Regards, John.

1 2 Previous Next