8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 12:41 PM by Intel Corporation

flashing Edison - not detected on Mac

kenneth456

Hey all,

I'm new to Edison- but have worked with Pi and Arduino enough to know something is wrong.

Here's the deal:

I have an Intel Edison board on a breakout board (specifically- this one: Amazon.com: Intel Edison Breakout Board Kit [Dual Core Intel Atom IA-32 500MHz, 4GB eMMC Storage, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi En… )

I've tried manually flashing the board on 2 different macs. Initially my comp mounted the board but the flash seems to have failed.Here is as far as it got:

>> ./flashall.sh

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Now the board will not mount nor can I get past the above.

Help!

Thank you,

K

• 1. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
          kenneth456

Just tried with the Intel Board Config Tool. Screenshot below

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.28.19 AM.png

• 2. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kenneth456,

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you please let us know which guide you were using to flash your board? And if you haven't tried the one found in https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154, I suggest you to do so.

Also, do you have access to PC? I've noticed, that sometimes the issue is on the PC and not the board. For example, I can't flash my Edison on my PC, it just fails, but if I use a different PC, the board will flash with no problems. So, you might want to try using a different PC to see if you get different results.

I hope this information helps you,
            Pedro M.

• 3. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
              kenneth456

Thanks,

Yes, those are the directions I followed.

I tried on 3 Macs. I do not have access to Win or Linux.

Help!

• 4. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
                SpiderKenny

Here is some info to see if your Edison is connecting via USB or not...

On your Mac, please try the following:

Open the "Terminal" app.

Unplug your edison completely.

In the terminal app enter the following command:

ioreg -p IOUSB

Now plug in your edison and do the same command again:

ioreg -p IOUSB

Now copy and paste the results from the terminal window into a reply here.

• 5. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
                  kenneth456

Thank you for the reply. Below are my results:

//with powered usb hub

Script started on Wed Apr 19 08:29:02 2017

[?1034h>> ioreg -p IOUSB

+-o Root  <class IORegistryEntry, id 0x100000100, retain 17>

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@14000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000003e5, regist$

| +-o iBridge@14200000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000baff, registered, matched, active, busy $

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@00000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x100002455, regist$

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@01000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000079f7, regist$

>> ioreg -p IOUSB

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@14000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000003e5, regist$

| +-o iBridge@14200000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000baff, registered, matched, active, busy $

| +-o IOUSBHostDevice@14100000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000bb87, registered, matched, activ$

|   +-o FT232R USB UART@14110000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000bb9f, registered, matched, act$

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@00000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x100002455, regist$

+-o Root Hub Simulation Simulation@01000000  <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000079f7, regist$

>> ex  [K  [Kexit

exit

Script done on Wed Apr 19 08:30:17 2017

//without usb hub

Script started on Wed Apr 19 08:31:25 2017

[?1034h>>     ioreg -p IOUSB

>> ioreg -p IOUSB

>> exit

exit

Script done on Wed Apr 19 08:32:20 2017

• 6. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
                    SpiderKenny

Looks to me like your Edison is there, but is connected with the RS232 Port, not the flash port.

Do you have BOTH USB Cables attached to the mac or just one?

For flashall.sh to work you only need to connect the breakout board using J16. Plug and Unplug this port when asked by Flashall.

If you have both USB cables connected, then only one is being detected. This could mean there is a problem with the Edison, the Breakout board, or both - or the USB cables.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 17.02.52.png

• 7. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
                      kenneth456

On the try WITH usb hub, I had both plugged in.

On try WITHOUT hub, only J16 was plugged in.

I have tried 4 different usb cables from 3 manufacturers, each works for data with other drives.

Just tried again (without usb hub) and below is where it hangs. I wait 5 min (when it says 2) then reboot with breakout board button:

>> ./flashall.sh 

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Please plug and reboot the board

dfu-util: Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor

Flashing IFWI

Flashing U-Boot

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Rebooting to apply partition changes

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 10 minutes... Please be patient)

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

>>

What next?

Thanks,
                      Ken

• 8. Re: flashing Edison - not detected on Mac
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kenneth456,

If you still have issues with Edison, I'd suggest you to submit an email to the following form https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US. We might be able to provide further assistance there.

Pedro M.