11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 5:06 PM by Intel Corporation

Fast boot and low power consumption

ThomasMaintz

Hey there,

for my current project I want to reduce the power consumption of the Intel Edison and speed the boot process. My device will be powered by battery and needs therefore lowest power settings possible.

Here is what I do: I want to monitor the UART and I2C connections and send measured data from there to a remote host by using the WiFi of the Edison. Therefore I only need the UART,I2C,WiFi (and underlaying network) layers for the flashed Linux Yocto to get the job done. Things like Pulseaudio, Bluetooth or else are not needed and should be shut off during runtime. Is there any way to do so? I found a way to power down these connections when linux is booted via the method described in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2326395 Because I want to use the configured Linux for many devices it would be nice if I can disable unused connections from default. Is there any way to?

Another problem I've got is the startup time for the Edison. When monitoring the console output via TeraTerm I see the usual Linux Bootloading process by using U-Boot. This process takes quite some time and it would be very nice for the user to get the boot process as fast as possible done. Is there any way to get the system faster within the boot process (e.g. custom Linux build, custom Kernel or else and way more important: where to start!)? If I observe some services by systemctl after booting most are loaded but inactive (and slow down the boot process I guess).

In general I want to use a single-user system with I2C, UART and WiFi. There is no need for any extra functions or else (unless some packages require specific ones).

I'm quite familiar with Linux Ubuntu and Debian but never built a custom kernel or edited the bootloader. Are there any places to get a start for a dummie like me ?

Thanks a lot

Thomas