4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 7:44 AM by krisclarkdev

intel galileo lipo power source

krisclarkdev

Hi all,

I just purchased an Intel Edison + the Galileo breakout board.  I have some confusion on how to provide an external power source not using the barrel connector.

I have a three cell lithium polymer battery for a total of 11.1v.

1. Is 11.1v (3 cells) too much voltage when providing power to the Galileo via the pins

2. Which set of pins is the correct location for my lipo?

3. Will providing power to the pins  also power the Edison or is providing power to the Galileo pins for peripheral sensors/items only?

I'm sure the answers are in the documentation, I'm just hesitant because I'm on my second set of Intel parts in 48 hours after I incorrectly set this up initially and fried the hardware.

Thank you,

Kris

• 1. Re: intel galileo lipo power source
          FGT

Hi Kris,

I think this is a question for the Intel Edison people, but maybe I'm missing something... what do you mean by " Intel Edison + the Galileo breakout"? Maybe sending a picture will make things clear.

Fernando.

• 2. Re: intel galileo lipo power source
            krisclarkdev

Yes, this is an Intel Edison.  I think I might be getting my product names confused between all the hardware I'm using right now

I mean I have the Edison (SoC) and it's plugged into the Arduino development board.  I'm trying to figure out what the right way to power the entire unit is off a lipo battery.  Sorry for the n00b question.

• 3. Re: intel galileo lipo power source
              FGT

krisclarkdev wrote:

Yes, this is an Intel Edison. I think I might be getting my product names confused between all the hardware I'm using right now

I mean I have the Edison (SoC) and it's plugged into the Arduino development board. I'm trying to figure out what the right way to power the entire unit is off a lipo battery. Sorry for the n00b question.

Don´t worry about, I´m kind of noob too : )

I´d suggest you post your question in the Edison forum, they should know better.

BR,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: intel galileo lipo power source
                krisclarkdev

Thank you, Fernando.  I marked your reply as the correct answer since this post belongs in the correct forum.  Much appreciated.