13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 11:41 AM by Intel Corporation

Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH

MDV55

I just posted this question over at unix.stackexchange.com and thought I'd bring it to the attention of this community for input here or to benefit from any responses that may be contributed by the stackexchange users.

==== snip ====

I have a working Centos7 system on a NUC5CPYH. To get the drivers for video and wireless that aren't in the Centos 3.10 kernel, we're using a 4.10.9 kernel. Since the NUC5CPYH is coming up on end of life, I'm trying to migrate to the NUC6CAYH.

Our system plays video in Chrome. On the NUC5CPYH, everything runs fine. On the NUC6CAYH I'm seeing high CPU on gnome-shell which I found (atop "y" command) to have 4 threads of `llvmpipe-[0-3]` attached to gnome-shell's PID -- so we're using CPU (not GPU) rendering.

On the NUC6CAYH, glxinfo errors with message  `i965_dri.so does not support the 0x5a85 PCI ID` which looks to be a Mesa error message from `src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_device_info.c` Looking at `include/pci_ids/i965_pci_ids.h` the 5a85 PCI ID is not in the 11.2 (Centos 7 includes mesa 11.2.2-2.20160614.el7)  tree but is in the 12.0 and later.

It appears that we need a new version of Mesa. So the question is how do I do that?

- Is this analysis correct?

- Is there a better way to solve this problem?

- Intel has a nice "[recipe][1]" for a video stack, but it looks to be a daunting task to implement.

- Is there a packaged path for Centos 7 to get to Mesa 12+.

- Could this be as "simple" as building Mesa from source? I tried to build 12.0.6 and ran into a series of errors so it doesn't look so simple...

[1]: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q1-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

• 1. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In order to try to provide the most accurate response to your inquiry, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
            Intel Corporation

I just received some updates from the research we are doing on this matter, and we just wanted to check if you tried the 3D Mesa Driver ver 17.0.1 listed on the link you gave us? We just wanted to confirm that in order to continue with the research.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto

• 3. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
              MDV55

Alberto

No, I did not try to install the Mesa 17.0.1 driver. The Intel 1Q17 driver recipe contains a stack of components (libraries, kernel modules, drivers, etc.)  that likely all need to be installed together. What I was looking for was a packaged way to move forward. Since the Mesa project doesn't provide any packaged solution, I tried to make the incremental step to mesa 12.0.6 by building from source, but I couldn't find the right set of options to even complete the compilation. At that point I posted the question looking for feedback on the best path forward.

• 4. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we really appreciate that. We will continue with the research on this subject and once I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                  MDV55

Alberto

OK -- trying to build the Intel 1Q17 recipe from the bottom up (guessing that's the way the dependencies stack up)...

• Intel-gpu-tools - 1.18 - found an rpm for this one (note that the link in the recipe page gets a 404 - someone may want to fix that)
                  • Cairo - 1.15.4 - OK - built from source
                  • Libva - 1.8.0 - OK - built from source - prerequsite to vaapi
                  • vaapi intel-driver - 1.8.0 - building from source
                    • ./configure fails with "No package 'libva' found. Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable"
                    • Apparently this is a bit of a messy issue as noted here Google Groups

This is where I'm currently stuck and will continue tomorrow and let you know of any progress.

• 6. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                    rguevara

Hi ,

I work for Intel Customer Support and I would like to know if you were able to find a way to fix this issue, it will be really valuable for the community.

Intel has not officially validated the NUC6CAYH with Linux*, see the following web site for further details: Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products 

If you have not been able to resolve this issue, would you please let me know that exact issue? Especially with the drivers available here: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q1-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

Regards,

Ronny G

• 7. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                      Intel Corporation

, I hope you were able to see the last comment posted by .

Regards,
                      Alberto

• 8. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                        TurboAAA

I am looking to get this working as well. The goal is to build a VMWare Horizon thin client that simply loads the client over Openbox. So far everything is working, but the displays are mirrored with xrandr not recognizing the individual displays. So far I have been working off of a CentOS 7 minimal installation with xserver (currently using ~500MB of RAM with client running). I did briefly test with a Fedora 25 workstation live image,  this allowed me to use both screens (this could be either the newer kernel or the use of wayland).

It appears that the driver stack listed here is the way to go with CentOS 7. Any further documentation would be appreciated, and I do understand that this is not officially supported.

• 9. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                          Intel Corporation

In order to get further assistance on this matter, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for that is that every scenario is different, even if the same product is being used, so, for us to further assist you to try to fix the specific problem the NUC might have, please submit a new thread:
                          https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                          Alberto

• 10. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                            MDV55

Sorry for the delayed update on this issue -- this is a weekend project for me and I've been pretty busy.

Good news is that I successfully built the Intel 2017Q1 Graphic Stack Recipe on a Centos 7 image. I observed a number of compiler warning messages but ignored them since someone smarter than me had already seen them. The build did take few manual tweaks to paths and moving some libraries to the correct destination.

Now, running the 17Q1 stack on the NUC6CAYH seems to solve the problem of the llvmpipe threads running and burning up CPU. Indeed CPU load is moderate (as expected) which is good. Subjectively, our video app (rendered inside Google Chrome browser) seems to run "OK" but not 100% smooth. To provide some more objective data, I used glxgears to see how they compared.

NUC6CAYH - Centos 7 + 17Q1 graphics stack - glxgears 48-53 fps and stutters, top CPU: X.org 75-85%, conky refresh is very visible

NUC5CPYH - Centos 7 + included graphics stack - glxgears 60.0 fps and smooth - top CPU:  gnome-shell 38%, X.org 18%

NUC5CPYH - Centos 7 + 17Q1 graphics stack - glxgears 60.0 fps and smooth, top CPU: gnome-shell 17%, X.org 13%, conky refresh fine

It looks like I need to dig in to the X.org high CPU problem next. Does the 17Q1 Graphics stack require/prefer a particular version of X?

• 11. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                              rguevara

You may get better assistance at the following web site: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/community 

Regards,

Ronny G

• 12. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                                MDV55

I wanted to provide an update to others that may stumble across this question (I'm the original submitter).

After trying to build the various graphics components from source to update the ones included with Centos 7.3, I never did successfully get all the pieces working.

In the meantime Centos 7.4 has been released and the set of components pretty closely matches the https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q1-intel-graphics-stack-recipe. The only addition to the standard Centos 7.4 distro is to get newer kernel -- I'm using 4.13.3.

Graphics and video are now rendering cleanly and with low CPU.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions above!

Mike

• 13. Re: Centos 7 on NUC6CAYH
                                  Intel Corporation

You are welcome. Perfect, thank you for letting us know those updates. We are glad to hear the graphics and video are now rendering properly.

Regards,
                                  Alberto R