3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 1:43 PM by Intel Corporation

Curie module to SOC mapping table.

stott1

In version 1.3 (March 2017) of the Curie Module datasheet  section 2.1, there is a table (table 1-2) that has a mapping of the Curie module to Quark SE C1000 signal mapping. There is a similar table (table 11) in the Quark SE C1000 datasheet February 2017 (Document Number: 334712-005EN).

These two tables do not match as far as what is on function 0 and function 1.

For example:

In the Curie Module datasheet table 1-2,  "Ball No" C1 is called I2S_TWS. It has the primary function as I2S_TWS and Alt function 1 as GPIO[19]. It is EXTERNAL PAD 53 Quark Ball number C9.

In the Quark SE C1000 datasheet table 11, Ball no C9 has External pad 53,  function 0 as GPIO[19] and function 1 as I2S_TWS. The function defines is the exact opposite of what the Curie table says.

I had expected the functions to be the same as what is on primary (function 0) and what is on function 1. So what am I missing or do not understand?

Graham

• 1. Re: Curie module to SOC mapping table.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Graham,

Thanks for reaching out!

I was checking the signal that you mentioned (I2S_TWS), C1 in Curie's datasheet and C9 in C1000's datasheet. As you mentioned the functions are as follows:

I2S_TWSPrimary FunctionAlt Function 1Alt Function 2
          CurieI2S_TWSGPIO[19]I2S_TWS
          C1000GPIO[19]I2S_TWS-

This indeed seems as a discrepancy, nevertheless, as you can read in C1000's datasheet: the I/Os are multiplexed with other signals in the ball list. Configurable GPIOs default to function 0 during power on. The C1000 firmware is responsible for enabling the platform specific configuration.

The last sentence is key, the firmware defines the configuration of the platform. What this means is that the default/primary function can be determined by the designer while writing the firmware. I believe this is what happens in Curie, simply the signal I2S_TWS was prioritized and GPIO19 was left as the alternate function.

I hope this information helps you,
          Pedro M.

• 2. Re: Curie module to SOC mapping table.
            stott1

Perdo,

Thanks, That did help. One last question. By firmware do you mean the Curie BIOS?

• 3. Re: Curie module to SOC mapping table.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Not quite, the firmware of the Curie is the system that manages the different I/Os and interfaces of the board, think of it as of the OS of the Curie. I say "think of it as of" because it is not a traditional OS since Curie is designed to work in real time. 

If you see it from the ODK perspective, the firmware is the different trees available in the ODK. If you don't know what the ODK is or if you want to learn more about it, you can start by checking https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/674972.

Pedro M.