6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 11:06 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB

CornFly

Hi,

While troubleshooting a BCD configuration error on windows 10 (for an unknown reason it got corrupted somehow), I've noticed that while my BIOS had "Fastboot enabled, and Secureboot enabled", there was no USB port that was active. That meant that i could not connect any keyboard / mouse and troubleshoot my windows issue.

Do note that i already found a workaround by removing the security jumper, the bios allowed me to bypass the fastboot, and enter the visual bios safely. This allowed me to boot from an USB stick, and rebuild the BCD.

Do note, that i'm already using the latest available bios (46).

Regards,

Avi

• 1. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
          N.Scott.Pearson

This is normal and expected behavior. When you enable Fast Boot, BIOS initialization and enumeration of USB is disabled and does not occur until after the O/S is loaded. This workaround you found, as well as the use of the Power Button menu, are how you get into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) with Fast Boot enabled...

My opinion: enabling Fast Boot does not really speed up boot time enough to offset the hassles is creates. Just leave it disabled.

...S

• 2. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
            CornFly

In case the OS is un-bootable this cannot be the expected behavior, especially when the BIOS detects "No boot device found".

Furthermore, even the windows 10 message "Press ESC" to start recovery or enter the visual bios is impossible since no keyboard is present.

• 3. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
              N.Scott.Pearson

Right, hassles, disable the feature.

• 4. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you very much to for the information provided above.

Hi, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

I hope the information posted previously was useful and I just wanted to confirm it as correct, it is expected that the USB port will  not work until the NUC boot to Windows when fast boot is enable in the BIOS.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
                  CornFly

As i said, it will also not work when windows shows its BCD configuration error, and expect the ESC to be pressed by the user in order to proceed with recovery. (Since no USB devices are enabled, it is impossible to connect a keyboard at this point)

If you consider this as "Normal" behavior, than there is nothing i can add

• 6. Re: Skull Canyon NUC with bios update 46 will not enable USB
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, this has to be considered normal. Remember that you, the user, have chosen to enable a feature that helps speed up boot times. One of the methods used by this feature is to disable BIOS initialization and enumeration of USB. This will result in issues (and only some of these issues have workarounds) if you need a keyboard before the O/S has loaded its driver stack. If this is within the realm of possibilities, you shouldn't be enabling this feature. A presumption of this feature is that, before you enable it, you have already reached a point where your BIOS configuration is static and your O/S image is stable. If you are going to be playing with things like BCD configuration, then you are removing your O/S from the stable state and you should not be doing so with this feature enabled, plain and simple.

There was a time, years ago, when this feature made a *huge* difference in boot times. With the advancements that have occurred in CPU and Chipset performance, in firmware (BIOS) architecture and performance, etc. and etc., this feature really doesn't have that much of an impact at all. In my opinion, there is thus no compelling reason to enable this feature (especially considering the caveats that it incurs).

...S