5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 1:19 PM by Intel Corporation

/dev/ttyMFD1, pin 0 (rx, gpio 130), pin 1 (tx, gpio 131)

Bill.

Hi,

If you are new to this GPIO stuff read the following:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/edison/sb/edison-arduino-hardware-guide.pdf

I am trying to echo text to /dev/ttyMFD1 and use cat /dev/ttyMFD1 to display it, but cat doesn't show anything.

My setup is:

# cat /etc/version: 201606061707

Windows 10 PC with putty installed

This is what I have tried ...

Step 1: Booted Edison

Step 2: Displayed the direction file for the GPIOs associated with pin 0 (rx) and pin 1 (tx):

Looking at /sys/class/gpio

and /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug

pin     GPIO    Direction       Value   current_pinmux  current_pullstrength

0       130             in                    0       mode1                          2k

216            out                  0       *no file*                      *no file*

248           out                  0       *no file*                      *no file*

1       131            out                  1        mode1                          50k

217            in                     1        *no file*                      *no file*

249           out                   1        *no file*                      *no file*

Step 3: run the script to do the echos

I used the code in the following:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/57358

I changed the code so that only "in" and "out" were used.

For my rational see my post #17 and Yermi's post #18 here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/111658?start=15&tstart=0

Step 4: Display the direction files again

Looking at /sys/class/gpio

and /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug

pin     GPIO    Direction       Value   current_pinmux  current_pullstrength

0       130          in                   0            mode1                   2k

216          in                   0            *no file*                 *no file*

248          in                   0            *no file*                 *no file*

1       131          out                1            mode1                  50k

217          in                  0            *no file*                 *no file*

249          out                0            *no file*                 *no file*

The contents of the Direction file (eg: /sys/class/gpio/gpio130/direction ) match what the echo script wanted to do.

Step 4: Use PuTTY to open an ssh window on edison

Step 5: In the ssh window: cat /dev/ttyMFD1

There is no command prompt, which makes sense, since Linux is waiting for something to be displayed.

Step 6: in the PuTTY com4 window: echo Edison > /dev/ttyMFD1

Observation:

Nothing is displayed in the PuTTY ssh window after the cat line (Step 5).

I have spent a long time reading a bunch of discussions trying to figure out how to get this to work.

Question: any idea what I am not doing or doing wrong?

Thanks,

Bill