Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

"Turbo Mode" causing system not to boot on 7700K

JNick1
Beginner

I built a new computer 2 weeks ago and was completely stable until Tuesday night. I turned my PC and it froze on the last screen before posting. I hit the reset and it then went into a boot cycle without posting or it would start to post then go straight BSOD "whea_uncorrectable_error". After hours of tinkering in the BIOS I finally got my system to boot after I disabled "turbo mode" in the Internal CPU Power Management under Extreme Tweaker menu. I made sure all my drivers were up to date, flashed my bios, and put a fresh install of Windows 10, but still if the "turbo mode" is Enabled my system will not boot up. If "turbo mode" is disabled again it will boot but my CPU is throttled to 4200ghzs and wont even boost to the stock 4500ghz OC. Any help will be grateful. I have already contacted the company I bought the 7700k from and hopefully I can get a new one if indeed my chip is defective.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.s. Who's Tech Support closes at 5pm?

Specs:

intel i7 7700k

Maximus IX Code

Corsair 100H water cooler (temps were 28C idle, 55c under load)

Aorus Gtx 1080ti

16g (2 sticks of 8) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz Memory

Samsung 960 Evo m.2 SSD 500G

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500G

Asus DX sound card

1300 watt psu (I had a lot larger system at one point)

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

xx64bugxx, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

The PC should boot with the "Turbo Mode" enable or disable. Based on the information you gave us, the memory you are using is capable to run at 3200MHz, but the processor supports: DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V, the memory controller is located in the processor, so the processor is the one that indicates which memory speed to use, in this case the max memory speed is 2400MHz., could you please confirm if the memory RAM is set to run at that speed?

To try a BIOS update is always an option for this scenario:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-CODE/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-CODE/HelpDesk_Download/

Besides that, you mentioned you are using a video card, just for testing purposes, if you disconnect the video card and use the onboard graphics, is the problem the same? This is just to rule out a possible problem with the video card.

At this point it is not for sure that there is a problem with the processor, but if you have the chance to replace it you can always do that, that way we can confirm if the issue is related to a different component.

The Intel support hours are: Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

xx64bugxx, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
JNick1
Beginner

I contacted the deal who sold me the CPU and they issued me an immediate RMA and refund once they receive the old CPU. I ordered a new 7700k from a different dealer and it arrived today. New CPU is in and Turbo Mode seems to be working as advertised again. Thank you for you concern and I have been very impressed with Intel's products outside this event.

Thanks again,

Joe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

xx64bugxx, You are welcome, perfect, thank you very much for your feedback, it is great to hear that you were able to get e new processor and the turbo boost is working properly, it should work just fine from now on.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos