2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 4:53 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison Expand Root FS

douglas.lamaster

Hey guys! I'm working on a project with Edison, and I am running at 100% of my root fs. I understand that I will need to give up some space in my /home/ directory. I know that this question has come up before, but all the info I've been able to dig up were either confusing or outdated (or both). Specifically, I am trying to run a "pip install", but it chokes every time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give a step-by-step overview of the process?

Thanks!

df h.PNG

• 1. Re: Edison Expand Root FS
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello douglas.lamaster,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

From what I have investigated, it seems that the two most popular methods to increase the size of the rootfs are presented in this documents:
          •    Increasing the Root Partition Size on Intel® Edison Boards

•    How to boot Edison from an SD card (Linux)
          You mentioned that you already did some research, so could you please share what you have tried?

I saw that the first guide was last reviewed in March 29, 2017, but since it states that the default root size is 512 MB (instead of the latest image’s 1.4 GB) I suspect the instructions may be outdated. So I’ll follow the steps and see if it can be of any help.

As soon as I have relevant information I’ll posted here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
          Andres V.
          • 2. Re: Edison Expand Root FS
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello douglas.lamaster,

After some testing, I have come to the conclusion that the Booting Your Edison From An SD (Linux) (https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-111602) is the best way to increase the size of your /dev/root directory.

The previous link has the latest guide to perform the aforementioned method (February 7, 2017). It even shows the modified size of /dev/root under the Verifying You Are Using Your SD Card section:

Untitled.jpg

I hope you find the previous information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
            Andres V.