13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 2:15 AM by michael_p

OpenCL support

michael_p

Dear all,

Is OpenCL supported on the GPU of the Joule? If so, which version of OpenCL?

I do not yet own a Joule but would like to be sure on this point before I purchase one. Sadly I could not find any definite answer to this question in this forum and the wider internets, so if anyone could clarify that would be great!

Best

Michael

• 1. Re: OpenCL support
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Michael,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Joule™ Products.

I’m aware that community member Javiwolf was able to install OpenCL on a Joule running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (https://communities.intel.com/thread/108348). 

And this guide has helped other users install OpenCL on a Joule running Ubuntu 12.04: https://gist.github.com/rmcgibbo/6314452

I personally haven’t tested OpenCL with the Ref-OS-IoT (a new distribution based on Yocto), so I can’t confirm, neither deny, if it can be installed.

What I can tell you is that you should keep in mind that any issue that arises from using OpenCL in the Joule is out of the scope of this technical support team.

I hope you find the previous information useful.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: OpenCL support
            michael_p

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your quick reply! Sadly, that does not address my question. I asked specifically about the GPU, both links you provided only talk about the CPU version.

I understand that you cannot support Ubuntu but I would be fine with Intel's Ostro Linux if that's necessary to use the GPU. Is that possible?

I'm not sure what you mean with your last paragraph stating that OpenCL on Joule is outside of the scope of Intel's support? I mean, it's a board from intel, using a processor from Intel, a GPU from Intel, an operating system from Intel, and a technology (OpenCL) where Intel is the main supporter (according to your own website). Sorry for being so sarcastic but if even Intel does not know whether the GPU supports OpenCL then who on earth should?!

Best regards

Michael

• 3. Re: OpenCL support
              Intel Corporation

Hello Michael,

I’m sorry, I think I misunderstood your question.

Please check the following chart from Intel® Joule™ Module – Datasheet (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/joule-products/intel-joule-module-datasheet.pdf):

Untitled.jpg

In it you can see that OpenCL 2.0 is part of the supported open graphics libraries on the Joule compute module.

This is mentioned again in the Graphics Specifications section:

Untitled2.jpg

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,
              Andres V.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: OpenCL support
                michael_p

Dear Andres,

That does indeed answer my question, thank you very much!

Best

Michael

• 5. Re: OpenCL support
                  fnoop

Hi Andres

Can you point to how to actually implement, or anyone or anywhere that actually has OpenCL 2.0 working on the joule?  The Intel closed source sdks/ICDs seem to support both GPU and CPU but I can't see anyway of actually implementing this on the joule as it requires kernel recompile (which isn't possible yet on ubuntu as they haven't released the kernel source).  The latest version of beignet supports the GPU but it has to be compiled from source, and it only looks to support OpenCL <2.0.

• 6. Re: OpenCL support
                    Intel Corporation

Hello fnoop,

Since OpenCL is supported by a wide range of CPUs and GPUs, the official tutorials and resources are aren’t Joule-oriented, so it may or may not be possible to implement them in the Joule compute module, is up to the developers to try and adapt this information to their projects:

OpenCL™ Tutorials
                    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-tutorials 

The community threads previously shared in this post is what I could find regarding the installation of OpenCL on the Joule compute module.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                    Andres V.

• 7. Re: OpenCL support
                      michael_p

In the meantime I received my Joule module, and the most recent version of Intel Ref-OS-IoT Linux (great name, btw! comes with Beignet preinstalled which partially supports OpenCL 1.2 (but reportedly has some other problems).

I also tried installing the official Intel OpenCL driver+runtime and till now it looks like it works, although I did not patch the kernel but simply copied the libraries over.

Are there any plans to update the Ref-IoT-Linux-thingy to include the official Intel OpenCL drivers? For someone with experience with Yocto that would probably not be such a huge thing to do but would be very helpful for others! (like me!

Thanks a lot,

Michael

• 8. Re: OpenCL support
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Michael,

I’m glad to hear that you received your Joule module and that you have been able to install the Intel OpenCL driver.

Regarding your question, there hasn’t been an official statement regarding the next update for the Ref-OS-IoT, so I can’t confirm, neither deny, if that feature (inclusion of Intel OpenCL drivers) will be available.

Please keep checking the community for the latest news.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                        Andres V.

• 9. Re: OpenCL support
                          michael_p

Thanks Andres for your help! It would be great if you could forward this feature request to the IoT-Ref-Linux-OS product team! I also opened an issue in the Github repository but everything seems pretty dead there.

Best

Michael

• 10. Re: OpenCL support
                            Intel Corporation

Hello Michael,

We take very seriously this kind of requests, we will send your request to the corresponding team.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                            Andres V.

• 11. Re: OpenCL support
                              michael_p

Dear fnoop,

did you test OpenCL support also using the latest release of the Ubuntu image (released March 17) ? It would be great if you could briefly let me know what your experience was with OpenCL on Joule+Ubuntu, as we are currently considering switching to Ubuntu and it would be very helpful to have your opinion. Sadly, Ref-IoT-OS-Thingy is a total pain to work with...

Best

Michael

• 12. Re: OpenCL support
                                fnoop

Sorry @michael_p I haven't had time yet to delve into opencl.  You have to compile the latest beignet (1.3 I think) to get gpu opencl support, but it doesn't support the cpu.  And on the joule, the cpu is far more powerful than the gpu.  Still, the gpu is capable and would be nice to have support for both.  If you go through the pain of downloading and installing Intel's closed source OpenCL drivers, it does appear to support both CPU and GPU.  Why the ICDs at least aren't installed automatically to the woeful Ref-IoT and Joule Ubuntu is a mystery - it's as if Intel don't want people to see their hardware actually doing something useful.  Trying to get people to use the Ref-IoT is an excellent start to putting people off the hardware for good, and then refusing to support or even discuss using the Joule on Ubuntu here is an excellent follow-up strategy to suppressing any potential community for what is otherwise a great product.

• 13. Re: OpenCL support
                                  michael_p

Thanks for the reply! We're using OpenCL only on the GPU so might give it a shot.

Interestingly I had the exact same impression about the Joule and its ecosystem as you describe it: it's an amazing product with superb performance-per-weight but it seems like Intel does not want people to actually use it... it feels like driving a Porsche but being able to only use the first two gears.

Let's hope that Intel wakes up soon and realizes that it's not enough to just throw some piece of hardware on the market and hope for the best. I'm still optimistic about the Joule but honestly, after working with it for the last few month (on a robotics product) I'm quite disappointed.