Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Replace cpu B940 with i5-2520M

TTuan
Beginner

Hi every one, my Laptop use cpu B940 but I feel it's so weak, now I want to replace it by a new one I5-2520M. But the master here:

1. Could the cpu's socket PGA988 compatible with PPGA988 of I5-2520M?

2. About heat excharger, the old B940 is ok with new I5-2520M?

3. How's about BIOS? Should we upgrade BIOS too and which version is best?

Thank for viewing my thread! Waiting for ur help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

These are the two processors:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52229,55626 Intel® Product Specification Comparison

While they use the same socket, that is not enough. An upgrade cpu must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

This means you will have to contact the manufacturer of your motherboard/system and ask them what processors are supported by THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those processors.

Also, you are not doing yourself any favours by upgrading to an i5-2520m. It is more than six years old, and its graphics (Intel HD 3000) are not supported on Windows 10, if that is your goal:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

And, the processor itself is not supported on Windows 10: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000006105.html Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

And, in my opinion, the minimal performance gain is simply not worth the effort.

Spend your time and money on a new or newer system, that still has support.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information provided above.

TuanTrinh, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

If you are planning to upgrade the processor, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop, they should have a list of compatible processors for it and then you can choose the best one from that list. As it was mentioned before, besides the fact the socket needs to be the same the processor also needs to be compatible with the BIOS in the laptop so the best thing will be to check with them before doing any changes on the system.

I hope the information above was useful for you.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
TTuan
Beginner

Thank you very much Al_Hill and intel_admin!

Maybe this upgrade is not simple as I think.

I usually upgrade the system for desktop so I think it's same with laptop but in fact, there are a lot of master when do it.

Like Al_Hill said: "Spend your time and money on a new or newer system, that still has support", I think now I will buy a new one which newer systems.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

TuanTrinh, You are welcome. Yes, at this point that will be a very good thing to do.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos