Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

How to improve real-time performance of i5 6440EQ?

SShi6
Beginner

Hi guys we faced a problem. During the application of EtherCAT Bus TECH in 32-bit win8.1, we found that 6 Generation Skylake CPU (i5 6440EQ) showed very bad real-time behavior, under the premise that the behavior of 4 Generation Haswell CPU (i5 4570S) was much better. We tried many methods in BIOS such as disable C1E, Speed Step, Hyper-threading and some other USB options, however the results are still disappointing.

Our suppliers suggested that maybe it was a good solution to get the real-time Pacth for PCH and integrated this block with BIOS. However, no documents were found about how to finish this job. Has Intel ever opened the access to real-time Pacth for PCH or were there any examples using this kind of method? And any suggestions to solve this problem? Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello melody_kingdom,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Would you please provide us with more detailed information about your system configuration and the project you are running?

From my end I don't have much information about this behavior and the application you are running but I can investigate for you.

Regards,

Ivan.

SShi6
Beginner

Hi Ivan, Thank you for your reply! Our applications are mainly in industrial area, focusing on laser cutting system design. At this moment our purpose is to make full use of EtherCAT. Our suppliers are Acontis in software and IEI in hardware. We used their motherboard (i5 6440EQ with QM170 PCH) to run 32-bit win8.1 as well as RTOS analysis software, and found that the real-time behavior was much worse than that of our last generation product based on J1900 CPU which is also one of Intel products.

There are some solutions we tried:

1 Disable Speed Step, C1E, Hyper-threading and some other USB options, but the improvement was too tiny;

2 Uninstall the driver of HD Graphics 530, in which case we got much better behavior, at the expense of huge decrease of FPS, which is not affordable for us.

Our hardware supplier IEI mentioned that there were some customers who had got some patch from Intel, named real-time patch for skylake to solve some similar problems. Can you help us to search for the original files or some information of this patch, since we cannot find any useful results? Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information you have kindly provided, please allow me to further investigate for you.

Once I get an answer I will post it here.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SShi6
Beginner

Okay Thank you very much Ivan! And we will be more than grateful if you can help us first, since our project is running out of time. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello melody_kingdom,

I appreciate your patience on this matter.

After further review, since this is an embedded processor, I suggest you to contact the embedded processors support path.

To get in contact with the embedded design center and where a dedicate team in Intel is available to support you better, here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center.html

Usually, embedded processor design companies are supported by FAE's directly and we can suggest you to use Intel(R) Premier Support (IPS) to submit issues. You should contact the Intel FAE directly to get the IPS account setup and activated

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SShi6
Beginner

Thank you Ivan for your kind suggestions. Can you give us some details about how to contact FAE, since we didn't find that?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What I found is this forum support; you can create a post here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

Go all the way to the bottom and create new post.

Please let me know if you can get help there if not I will investigate further for you.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SShi6
Beginner

Thank you Ivan! We will try that. And we will let you know if there are some results.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You are more than welcome and let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos