6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 12:35 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video

Yigal

I have DQ77KB motherboard that used to work but not anymore.

That is the HW:

Board:        Intel BLKDQ77KB Intel Q77 Express LGA1155 DDR3 Thin Mini ITX

CPU:        Intel Celeron G540T 2.1 GHz Dual-Core CPU Processor SR05L LGA 1155

CPU Fan:     Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW 95mm HTPC Low Profile CPU Cooler Intel LGA 1155 1156

RAM: Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3 - 12800) CL11 SODIMM

Power Supply: DQ77KB,DH61AG AC DC Adapter 90W 19V for Thin Mini-ITX Motherboards SSA-0901-19

I used to run pfsense(Free BSD) for the past few months, but last night the Free BSD crashed (likely I have a problem with the PCIe SSD) and while trying to recover it the mother stopped booting at some point.

1. I have removed every piece of HW - HHD, PCIe SSD and wifi PCIe

2. No POST

3. When the RAM was removed it beeps

4. The NUM LOCK turns on when I power it on

5. USB drive light doesn't turn on when I plug it

6. Moving the BIOS configuration Jumper to pins 2-3 doesn't make any chnage

7. There are no bent pins in the processor socket

8. I did not remove the CMOS battery - I need guidliness

9. Tested other RAM bot there was no chnage

What should be the next step?

• 1. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
          N.Scott.Pearson

The USB flash drive's LED may not flash if the system is not trying to boot from it. You could try forcing this issue by repeatedly hitting F10 for ~15 seconds after powering the system on. This should attempt to read the root of the flash drive.

Well, as you might expect, the next thing I would try is the removal of the CR2032 battery. Remove the battery for ~15 minutes to be absolutely sure of the CMOS clear (some devices take longer to drain than others). If it works after this, remember that you will need to set the date and time in BIOS Setup. When you restore the battery and are going to power it back on, I would try this with the BIOS Configuration jumper in the 2-3 position, so that the BIOS attempts to come up automatically in Maintenance Mode.

If the system seems to come up ok but you see no display initialization, it is possible that the video connector has failed. Presuming that your monitor is currently plugged into the HDMI connector, try connecting the monitor to the Display Port (DP) connector instead. A (passive) DP-to-HDMI adapter can be had for under US$10 - or borrowed if you know someone who has one. Another (albeit expensive) possibility is to try using a x1, x2 or x4 graphics card in the PCIe connector.

Another possibility is that the power supply is, at least, partially failing; either not generating an acceptable (and stable) voltage or not delivering enough current. This is tougher to look into since you need another PSU to verify.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
            Yigal

Thanks for your prompt response.

I have not replace the CMOS battery as I'm not sure how. I have never done that on these kind of small boards. Do you happen to have guidelines?

• 3. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
              N.Scott.Pearson

Remove A/C power (i.e. unplug the system from the wall outlet). Your board has the battery in a shielded package with cable attachment to the board. Simply unplug this cable from the board for ~15 minutes. The cable connector is keyed so that you cannot plug it in backwards. Plug the connector back in. You should not have to force it; if it seems like you are, stop and try it the other way.

Restore A/C (plug PSU back int wall outlet), move the BIOS Configuration jumper to the 2-3 position and then press power button.

...S

• 4. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
                Al Hill

Please review this document:  CMOS Battery on Desktop Boards

Doc

• 5. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
                  Yigal

The HDMI port is bad. Once I connected the display it worked.

Thank you for your help, it was prompt and accurate

• 6. Re: Intel BLKDQ77KB fails to boot, No POST no video
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you, N. Scott Pearson Al Hill for your valuable contribution.

Yigal: please don't hesitate in contacting us if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                    JC