1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 11:47 AM by Intel Corporation

Ubuntu on NUC7i3BNH

rcg1950

Just wanted to let people in the Linux/Ubuntu community know that I had a very successful build/install.

Hardware:

2 x 4GB G-SKILL Ripjaws

Samsung EVO 850 M2.Sata 512GB  (boot drive)

SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda HDD (data only)

Logitech Wireless Mouse & Keyboard (MK270) 

this is the only hardware that's a little glitchy. Sometimes mouse or keyboard quits for a few seconds.

It may not have much to do with the NUC. Not sure. Will probably replace.

The NUC Does get the wireless signal on these during POST so I can enter the BIOS with these wireless peripherals,
         something I couldn't do on my old  ACER

Software:

Running BIOS 0036. (no need to update to 42 for my set up)

UBUNTU 16.04.2 running Linux kernal 4.8.0.x

I've also run various live USB sticks for Mint, LUbuntu, XUbuntu all with LInux Kernal 4.4.0.x  and all worked flawlessly.

Do Not load the proprietary driver for the Intel Microcode update. Almost thought I'd have to run in recovery mode

to get it running again after loading that driver but somehow did get back to a boot and took the driver out. Only scary moment.

I run my monitor (a pretty generic 23" LG monitor) on HDMI.

I pull my audio out of the back of monitor's 3mm audio jack for analog stereo.

Can't play the Intel jingle or an Ubuntu startup sound like this, but those do play if the audio jack is plugged into NUC's  front 3MM sound port.

Love the Ubunto on this NUC.

• 1. Re: Ubuntu on NUC7i3BNH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

Perfect, it is great to hear that you were able to install Ubunto with no problems on the NUC.
          Thank you very much for sharing that information in our Intel® communities, we really appreciate that and I am sure it will be very helpful to all the peers viewing this thread that are trying to use Linux/Ubuntu with  the NUC.

Regards,
          Alberto