Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

What manufacturers use generic Intel GPU notebook drivers?

RTice1
Beginner

What manufacturers ship notebooks with the generic Intel GPU drivers?

I'm tired of manufacturers that tweak the generic Intel GPU driver, but then don't update the driver to incorporate bug fixes and improvements.

(Yes, I'm glaring at you, HP!) This puts me at risk updating via the generic Intel driver.

Likely some manufacturer is smart enough not to mess with the GPU driver. Who?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi trayracing ,

Manufacturers modify the igpu driver simply because they also use in their laptops different components ( interfaces for monitor outputs, and sometimes they use discrete graphic together with igpu) , that need to "communicate" with driver. Each manufacturer can use other components so drivers are not identical. I think you need a laptop that has only igpu, and you need to ask manufacturers for compatibility with intel generic driver. I don't think Intel has a database with all laptops produced and what components they use

Also when you install a generic driver on a custom manufacturer laptop, you need to install it manually or forced, because some manufacturers use their specific hardware ID for the drivers, unless it's a laptop manufactured by Intel

0 Kudos
RTice1
Beginner

Hi Ronin.

Yes, certainly some systems need a custom driver for custom hardware. However, certainly some can use a vanilla driver, otherwise Intel wouldn't bother releasing a generic driver.

I was hoping someone on this forum had run across such systems. I'm not expecting Intel to keep tabs on this, nor endorse a particular vendor.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello trayracing,

I understand you would like to know what computer manufacturers use our generic drivers in their systems.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Usually each computer manufacturer customizes our components to their needs and then they make the drivers to fit the changes they have made in our hardware. We just provide the hardware to them so they can build their systems according to their needs. It is not possible for us to know the settings each computer manufacturer sets on every single computer model they release to the market.

The best option would be contacting the computer manufacturer directly and ask them if they can validate newer driver versions for the specific computer model you have.

You can also try manually installing our generic drivers. Bear in mind that you might lose functions and cause other technical issues by installing the Intel drivers. This link will provide more information about it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
RTice1
Beginner

Hi Fred,

Unfortunately for Intel, under Windows, video output and the renderer are bundled into same driver.

Video output rarely changes after shipping since the hardware doesn't change, but the hardware is often a custom setup by the OEM.

The render engine for integrated only systems is typically not changed by OEMs, but is changed by Intel, as bugs are fixed in the complex software driving it, or the APIs such as OpenCL change.

If the render engine was split into a separate driver, it could be updated independently of the OEMs custom hardware configuration.

Agreed, the best customer option would be for the OEM to update their custom driver. But the OEM is focused on selling new systems, not supporting ones that have shipped.

Given all that, I was hoping to make my next computer one that would be better supported in the graphics driver department.One route is to find a vendor that uses the unmodified Intel GPU drivers and I was hoping for suggestions from forum members.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Suggestion from a forum member: Contact the manufacturer of the device prior to purchase and ask them about their use of the graphics driver.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello trayracing,

As Doc mentioned the best option would be checking with the computer manufacturer if they have modified or not our drivers. You can provide the model number of the computer to them, and then they can check if the driver has been modified or not for that specific system model.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello trayracing,

I was wondering if you still need assistance with your inquiry. If you need anything else just let me know.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos