8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2012 10:25 AM by geogherkins

DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz

adi_vastava

I have two "transcend 2GB 800 Mhz" RAM sticks. When I put each one of them at a time on board (intel DG31PR), BIOS shows that its 800 Mhz for both of them respectively. But when I put both the sticks together BIOS reports them as 667 Mhz. I wonder what is going wrong and how could I rectify it if possible on this board.

Any suggestions/pointers.

Thanks

Aditya

In case important my processor is E8200 and I have latest BIOS revison installed.

• 1. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
          Aryan2411

Hello,

From board point of view, you have a compatible processor and assuming you are running with the latest board bios firmware, the only thing that you need to check will be the memory specs.

Make sure that the memory that you are using meets these criteria.

If possible, we always recommend to use the memory that are on the list as it has been validated by Intel.

System Memory Features
          The board has two DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

• 1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
          • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
          • 4 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
          • Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
          • Non-ECC DIMMs
          • Serial Presence Detect
          • DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
          • DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
          • DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

Last thing, if you have option to change the memory settings in the bios, you can try this at your own risk. Bear in mind that this may invalidate your board warranty if it gets defective.

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
            adi_vastava

Thanks for reply.

I said that when I put thoose RAMs individually on board than it shows 800 Mhz for each of them.

So

with only stick 1, BIOS says 800 Mhz

with only stick 2, BIOS says 800 Mhz

with both Stick1 & Stick2 it says *667* Mhz

Considering this I do not think it is a compatibility issue additionally as I mentioned I am on latest BIOS revison.

Now I am not crazy abt this few Mhz and its been a while when I purchased and noticed it (several months), I just wondered that if every thing is intact what makes MB take this decision to restrict RAMs at 667 Mhz.

Aditya

• 3. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
              Aryan2411

Hello Aditya,

Indeed, it is a bit weird.

I know that when you mix different memory module model, you may experience this.

I have seen this on desktop board and server board as well. Now, regarding compatiblity, on most of the server boards for example, when using untested or unvalidated memory you may see this as well.

Apart from this, i dont know what to say.

Hopefully someone else can help you.

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 4. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
                Leito70

Hi Aditya, I have a similar problem, but I find no solution. I have a DG31PR with a Q6600 (quad core 2) are the DIMM Kingston 1GB 800Mhz (I have two) but I recognize them as BIOS 512Mb, DIMMs work fine on another computer, and update the BIOS and still the same. Any suggestions. Thanks

• 5. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
                  aaraodeo

Check the supported memory voltage by the board and the RAM SPD timings. I also faced similar issue. I had bought kingston 2 GB DDR2 800Mhz single stick RAM but it used to work at 667Mhz speed as autodetected by the Intel BIOS. I had DG965WH motherboard at that time. After a bit research i came to know that this particular RAM stick is designed for 2V which is not supported by the board and it need to be 1.8V make, the SPD timings were fine i.e 5-5-5. I tried manually changing the memory configuration in bios but after setting it at 800Mhz my system used to go in infinite reboot cycle.

• 6. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
                    geogherkins

Similar to DG31PR, I have same question for DG965WH board.

I see the specification for my board (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15052/eng/DG965WH_TechProdSpec.pdf) shows that if I use qualified DDR2 800MHz DIMMs I can run at 800MHz as long as I have only 1-GB DIMMs for a total of 4GB maximum. If I use 2-GB DIMMs then the desktop board down-cycles to 667MHz and I can get up to 8GB total RAM. Since specification-compliant 800MHz RAM will work at 667MHz, this is not a problem other than the loss of some FSB performance.

WHY does the design of a chipset support 800MHz for 4GB but only 667MHz for 8GB?

My question is academic. Very curious. Anyone out there know the answer to WHY?!?!   

I would like to have 8GB (planning to use a 64bit operating system). Looks like it will work, just at 667MHz, not 800MHz.  Thanks.

• 7. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
                      geogherkins

So much for an "academic" answer to my question (no replies)! Instead here's an empercal answer?    Reporting progress:

I successfully upgraded my DG965WH board to the latest BIOS image (1754). For some reason the Intel MQ96510J.86A.1754.EB.EXE Windows XP executable did not function. Instead I used the download MQ96510J.86A.1754.BI.zip (extracted file MQ1754P.ISO) ISO image and boot from a CD in order to flash the BIOS update. Perhaps it is coded to require some specific version of Windows - just not Windows XP Professional SP3?

I purchased 4 2GB sticks of DDR2 800MHz RAM (8GB total). (Corsair VS2GB800D2 PC2-6400). This memory has specifications that match the requirements listed in the DG965WH. Interestingly, the DG965WH indicates that the bus speed will be stepped down to 667MHz. I find that both the BIOS and the Intel Desktop Utilities reports the 8GB RAM running at 800MHz. Perhaps a BIOS improvement allows the higher clocking (and the documentation is out of date)? There is no specific mention of this in the BIOS upgrade readme files. Another strange thing: the Intel Desktop Utilities (version 3.0.14.19) reports total RAM as "8MB" instead of "8GB". Before my upgrade it may have reported "2MB" instead of "2GB", but I had never noticed this reporting error prior to today. Funny. Control Panel > System correctly reports the available RAM to the 32bit OS as 3.24GB.

I have not yet upgraded to a 64bit operating system, that is coming later.

• 8. Re: DG31PR board showing 800 Mhz Rams as 667 Mhz
                        geogherkins

Both VMware ESXi 5.0 and Windows Home Server 2011 are 64bit operating systems and they are working fine and detecting 8GB RAM at 800MHz on my desktop board DG965WH.