4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 1:33 PM by Intel Corporation

Compare CPU of 7700 K V.S. E5-1650 V2

rockman413

hi There!

So with the price drop (no upgarde) I'm deciding if I should buy the trash can. I'm a traveler so I consider only laptop PC and trashcan, desktop PC or Mac tower is too big for me to travel with.
      I'm a heavily CPU user , GPU is not much my care.

I can get a 7700K CPU laptop PC at around $2500 , or a $2999 nMP with E5-1650 v2, the score at PassMark benchmark is very very close.
      But isn't the 7700 K the newest while E5-1650 V2 very very old (goes back to 2013...)

Which one is more powerful for heavy CPU usage?

• 1. Re: Compare CPU of 7700 K V.S. E5-1650 V2
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello rockman413,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

You can check the difference between these two processors here:
          https://ark.intel.com/compare/75780,97129

Please bear in mind that if you are planning to buy a laptop the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v2 is mostly for server systems.

At the link I’m posting here you can see the difference with the cores, the size 22nm & 14nm and you can see the number of threads, also you will see the difference in GHz.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Compare CPU of 7700 K V.S. E5-1650 V2
            rockman413

Thank you. actually I'm deciding between a 7700K laptop or a Xeon 1650 V2 Mac Pro, which is more expensive.

So regarding computing power, which one is more powerful? I'm seeing cpu benchmark that 1650 V2 has a significant higher score but isn't old and 7700K is very new?

• 3. Re: Compare CPU of 7700 K V.S. E5-1650 V2
              TGrable

The reason behind this is fairly simple.

The e5 is a 6 core 12 thread processor.

The 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor

The 7700k has much higher single thread performance

The e5 has lower single thread performance but more multi threaded performance due to 50% more cores.

So while yes the 7700k is actually faster per core. It also has 2 less cores than the e5, which will give the e5 more total processing power.

• 4. Re: Compare CPU of 7700 K V.S. E5-1650 V2
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

This depends on what you need the system for, the Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 has more CPU cores to help processing multiple tasks or heavily multi-threaded applications, it can support up to 256 GB of ram and the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor supports up to 64 GB of ram.  

The Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor is unlocked clock multiplier. To get more performance from the processor, it can be easily overclocked even though is not recommended by Intel.

Regards,

Ivan.