4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 2:34 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Curie Minimal Component Design

FamousThompson

Hi All,

We would really love to use the Intel Curie module in our small wearable product but are struggling with the following:

• What is the minimum required peripheral hardware?
      • What is required to interface the module through Arduino IDE? (We think it comes with Arduino 101 bootloader)
      • What additional hardware is required to use 250mAh battery charging circuitry?
      • Is there Arduino Support for easy BLE support?

Any references to other successful minimal build boards?

JT

• 1. Re: Intel Curie Minimal Component Design
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello JT,

Thanks for reaching out!

I believe most of your design centric doubts can be cleared by reading the Design Guide for the Intel® Curie™ Module (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-curie-modules/000022331.html).

In order to use Curie's Arduino capabilities, such as those used by the Arduino 101, you’ll have to use the A-tree of Curie's ODK. You can find more information about Curie's ODK at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/674972.

What do you mean by "Is there Arduino Support for easy BLE support"? Curie indeed supports BLE, therefore I'm confused by your question. Could you please clarify on this?

I hope this information helps you,
          Pedro M.

• 2. Re: Intel Curie Minimal Component Design
            FamousThompson

Hi Pedro,

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't see anything in the Intel Curie Design guide that speaks about a minimum-component build. I'm looking for a schematic diagram outlining the connections and components required to:

• Burn Arduino 101 bootloader to IC (if needed).
            • Correctly make USB connection to the IC for programming and debugging.
            • Connect and charge a 250mAh battery from IC.

When I say minimum component build i mean for example: datasheets usually require series resistances in the Rx and Tx lines to protect the IC from surges, whereas you can almost always get away with not using series resistances. Also, alot of components require power bypass capacitors close to the VCC pin, but these aren't needed most of the time either.  In our small compact wearable device, we don't have any room for these non-critical components.

I need to have 110% confidence that these drawing will work as board assembly is very expensive.

To your BLE Support question: I'm wondering if there are already Arduino libraries developed to easily get started with the BLE hardware in the Curie module.

JT

• 3. Re: Intel Curie Minimal Component Design
              Intel Corporation

I believe I understand your doubt, there is no specific "bare-minimum" schematic as reference. This is because of how the document is written, it doesn't propose a "bare-minimum" circuit but instead it lets you decide what your design’s “bare-minimum” will be. I mean, the absolutely "bare-minimum" design in my opinion would be to just power the board, either through a USB port or a DC jack and section 3.5 provides just that. In sections 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 you will find the schematic for both of these configurations and you are free to choose which one you want to apply on your board or if you want to use both. 

I truly believe most of your doubts can be cleared by this document. For your specific questions I would recommend you the following sections:

6.1 JTAG connector or test pads: for programming and debugging purposes.
              3.5 USB port design and detection: to setup the USB port and the main power circuit.
              3.6 Battery charging and management: for battery charging purposes.

All these sections come with their suggested schematic and should be able to help you with your design. I understand you must get rid of the not-absolutely-necessary components in your design but the circuits proposed were designed for the correct and safe function of the Curie module. So, you can revise these circuits and simplify them if you must but this is not recommended and we won't be able to assure the correct function of the module if you do so.

Regarding the BLE topic, is this library: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/CurieBLE what you are looking for?

I hope this information helps clear some of your doubts.
              Pedro M.

• 4. Re: Intel Curie Minimal Component Design
                Intel Corporation

Hello JT,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.