8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 5:20 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run

PlanoNUCuser

System = NUC6CAYS

Attempting to boot from restore media created by Acronis True Image 2014, 2016, or 2017. 

2 problems

#1 I can't get any version of the Linux based recovery to load on the NUC

a.  2014  Linux based CD image on an external DVD drive.  Starts to load, displays applicable patents, screen changes to:  "Loading Please,  wait ..." and hangs

b.  2017 Linux based CD image on an external DVD drive.  Starts to load, displays applicable patents, screen turns black, and activity stops

#2 I can't get a boot on Acronis Recovery Media on a Thumb Drive to even start loading

a1.  2014, 2017  Linux Thumb drive works on Dell (intel based) E4310, and two different ASUS AMD based motherboards.  I click on F10 during startup to get a list of eligible boot items.  The thumb drive shows up in the list of choices.  If you choose it, the screen flashes blank, and comes back to the same list, but no action is taken. 

a2.  Acronis True Image 2017 also will build a Recovery Media based on WinPE instead of Linux  As a thumb drive, it gets the same treatement.  It boots on the other machines listed above.  Thumb drive appears in the NUC boot list, but choosing it causes the screen to flash and go back to the list with no action taken.

The only form of Acronis True Image Recovery Media I can get loaded on the NUC is the 2017 WinPE on a CD. 

Secure boot is off, EUFI boot is active.

2014 Form      CD       | ThumbDrive       2017 Form      CD      | Thumb Drive

-----------------------------                          -----------------------------------

Linux            NoLoad   |    NoStart            Linux             NoLoad  |     NoStart      

WinPE         Unavail    |    Unavail             WinPE           Loads    |    NoStart

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS:  AYAPLCEL.86A.0038.2017.0310.1633, 3/10/2017

I also let it update to all the latest drivers, though I suspect that the BIOS is mainly involved in the boot process.

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello PlanoNUCuser,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

You may be having the problem installing Linux because there is an operating system already installed on the embedded storage (If the recovery partition is damaged by installing another OS, you may lose the Windows® 10 product key code and may void the warranty).

My recommendation is to disable the embedded storage in the BIOS and install an HDD/SSD and install the OS there.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
          JC

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
            svenry

i have the NUC6CAYH and i can confirm the Linux Boot CD takes 15 minutes to load and the mouse doesnt work properly.

With the WinPE a few seconds and no issues.

The Linux Boot CD works on my i5 4570 fine, so something is causing the NUC issue...

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
              Intel Corporation

Hello svenry,

In this case, I would recommend testing the unit with a supported operating system (for this product), you can refer to the following link for further information:

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

According to the article above, this product is validated to work only with Windows® 10.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
              JC

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
                Intel Corporation

Hello PlanoNUCuser,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,
                JC

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
                  PlanoNUCuser

I've found the no-boot-on-thumb-drive was a red herring.  More training, or experimentation was required.  In the F10 menu, there were several entries for things connected via USB, and I hadn't tried all of them when I posted this question.

I am Intrigued by your "OS not supported" answer.  I understand the corporate answer; I've had to give out some myself in my earlier career(s).  However to an outsider looking in, it always sounds like someone having car trouble in Colorado being told by GM that their cars were only tested on roads in Michigan.  Why, in an era of declining PC sales, would you so focus a design such that it would only run Win10 Home 64, and not even the Pro version?  Many of the utility disks given out for free use a Linux base, and in one step you have taken them all away from folks trying to debug things.  I'd bet that for the low price of one NUC, someone in the Linux community would get RedHat(R) or Ubuntu(R) running on it, or at least tell you what needed to change.

If you need to close this as answered, please do.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Dave,

This is two separate issues.

First of all, from the Windows standpoint, Microsoft offers OEM's significant discounts on Windows 10 Home licenses for new PCs. You can bet that Intel uses these discounts to hold down the prices of their system-level products. [Aside: one of the requirements for the lowest price bracket is shipping with 2GB (or less) of memory; I am sure that's why the NUC5PGYH, NUC6CAYS and the various Intel Compute Stick models only ship with 2GB.] To include a Windows 10 Pro license (which doesn't come with the same discounts) would add *significantly* to the cost of the system.

Secondly, there are so many different Linux (or Linux-like) distributions out there and so many different versions of these distributions and so many patch updates for these versions that supporting them, at least from a validation standpoint, is simply too costly to consider. Would you want to pay $100 more per unit (and this is a conservative estimate) to have this validation included? I wouldn't think so. If you aren't going to use something, you certainly don't want to pay for it being included. There is a *huge* difference between some engineer getting a distribution running and Intel doing the system-level validation that would be required before they could claim that they supported it (Intel's rule is, if Intel does not fully validate it, Intel cannot claim support for it (even if they know it works)).

Bottom line, while I don't like some of them, I completely understand and agree with the decisions that Intel has made. Windows 10 Pro runs just fine BTW; you can upgrade to it - at your expense, of course - if you so wish. Similarly, most of the Linux distributions can be gotten to work as well, but that is up to the community to deliver and the community to support (such is the anchor attached to open-source software).

...S

• 7. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
                      Intel Corporation

Hello PlanoNUCuser,

The last setting to confirm is to check if Linux is set as OS in the BIOS (this won't assure the OS will run without any issues).

In addition, it would be good to wait for new distros to be available to check the behavior with the Intel® NUC.

Regards,
                      JC

• 8. Re: NUC6CAYS - trouble getting Acronis True Image Recovery Media to load and run
                        Intel Corporation

Hello PlanoNUCuser,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,
                        JC