5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 5:31 PM by Intel Corporation

No USB Post Win 7 install.

KBERG

I bought a Skull Canyon NUC intending to run Win7 Pro unaware of the
      issues involved. After much research and trial and error, I’m to a point where
      windows 7 pro finishes the initial install and upon rebooting displays a screen
      prompting me for a computer name and a user id. Unfortunately now, as with my
      first attempt to install win7, I’ve again lost USB connectivity to the kb and mouse.

Any ideas?

Two of the three work arounds I’ve used are these: 

https://communities.intel.com/thread/108497

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-kits/000017241.html

I believe the above both ultimately boot on the legacy bios, not UEFI.
      All attempts at a forced UEFI boot have failed. Another work around I looked at
      talked about preparing the bootable usb drive on a win 8 pc with an SMBIOS
      version of 2.7 or higher. It was somehow ties to UEFI and underling win 8
      support. The guy is British and had kind of a heavy accent. Any validity to
      this?

All input is welcome and appreciated.

Hardware:

SAMSUNG – SSD 950 PRO NVMe M.2 - 512GB

Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2400

• 1. Re: No USB Post Win 7 install.
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, because you are using a NVMe SSD, you *must* use UEFI mode. In order to boot the Windows 7 in UEFI mode, you need to use a special tool to create the USB image. The Microsoft tools are no good for this. I recommend you use RUFUS.

Second, if you have created any partitions on the SSD already, it is likely that they are the wrong type. You need to delete them all during the Windows install process.

Third, while you can do so elsewhere, the most trouble-free environment to run the Windows 7 USB 3.0 Update package is on Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: No USB Post Win 7 install.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you, N. Scott Pearson for your contribution.

KBERG: I would recommend following Scott's advice.

Also, you can check the following guide:

[Guide] Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive) - NotebookReview

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
            JC

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No USB Post Win 7 install.
              KBERG

Thanks Scott,

In all I’ve read, I’d yet to glean that UEFI mode is mandatory for NVMe SSD’s -- So Good to Know.

Though I started out using the MS tools, as of late I’ve been using Rufus and a GPT partition scheme.

When I have created partitions it’s been during the windows install,if it matters.

Currently I don’t have access to Windows 8.1, but will rectify that shortly.

Thanks Again.

• 4. Re: No USB Post Win 7 install.
                N.Scott.Pearson

I have found that the update process used by the Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator v3 package works most consistently on Windows 8.1. If you only have Windows 7 machines to work with, however, I suggest that you do the update manually (i.e. run the DISM commands yourself). To this end, I am attaching the contents of a script (batch) file that I created to do the DISM operations:

@echo off

rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem rem

rem                                                                         rem

rem   File:         USB3WIMUpdate.bat                                       rem

rem   Purpose:      Updates WIM files BOOT.WIM and INSTALL.WIM (if present) rem

rem                 with the USB 3.0 driver files.                          rem

rem   Notes:    1.  Presumes USB 3.0 driver files are present within        rem

rem                 subfolder USB3.                                         rem

rem             2.  Presumes correct version of DISM is present in the      rem

rem                 current folder (bring it from the ISO image along with  rem

rem                 the BOOT.WIM and INSTALL.WIM files).                    rem

rem             3.  If the mount subfolder does not exist, it will be       rem

rem                 created. If the mount subfolder already exists, it      rem

rem                 will be cleared out before proceeding.                  rem

rem             4.  Ping commands implement a 120 second sleep. This is to  rem

rem                 allow the DISM background processes time to complete.   rem

rem Clear out the mount subfolder

if exist mount rmdir /s /q mount

mkdir mount

rem Update the drivers in the boot.wim file

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:mount

dism /image:mount /add-driver:"usb3" /recurse

ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 120000 >NUL

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:mount /commit

rem Update the drivers in the install.wim file for Windows 7 Home Basic

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:mount

rem Update the drivers in the install.wim file for Windows 7 Premium

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:2 /mountdir:mount

rem Update the drivers in the install.wim file for Windows 7 Professional

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:3 /mountdir:mount

rem Update the drivers in the install.wim file for Windows 7 Ultimate

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:4 /mountdir:mount

Now, I must warn you that have had some issues running this script. The WIM file unmount will sometimes fail and a manual cleanup is necessary. I added the 2-minute delay operations to try and overcome this, but ti doesn't always work. For this reason, I suggest that you manually execute the commands in the script file (i.e. type them in by hand and execute them one-by-one).

My recommendation is that, during the Windows installation process, you always delete any existing partitions and you tell Windows to install to the (singular) unpartitioned space. If you booted in UEFI mode, this will result in Windows creating a fresh GPT partition table and an optimal (well, in their opinion) partition layout.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 5. Re: No USB Post Win 7 install.
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello KBERG,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance.

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,
                  JC