5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 4:08 PM by Intel Corporation

Blinking screen

Avishay

Hi,

I have Intel NUC5i5RYH, using Windows 10.

In the last few months I'm experiencing screen flickering randomly.

Restarting the machine helps for some time and then again it start flickering  - the flickering rate varies from once in every few minutes to (sometimes) very frequently, and then I have to restart my PC.

I have tried a fresh clean install of Windows 10 lately but the problem got worse.

The latest Graphics Driver after Win10 installation was 15.40.28.4501.

I tried to update the driver manually to the latest Beta 15.40.4539 (which identifies on my PC as 20.19.15.4539) which helps a bit, and brings me to the state before, when the flickering has occurred but less frequently.

Could you advise me how to solve this issue?

Thanks & BR,

Avishay

• 1. Re: Blinking screen
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello , thank you very much for joining the Intel NUC communities.

To install drivers 4501 and 4539 was a really good thing to do in order to try to fix this problem.

Another step to do will be a BIOS update to the latest version, please verify the link below for instructions about how to do that using the F7 method:
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html
          This is the .BIO file needed, version 0362:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26541/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-

Just to get a better understanding of this scenario:

This problem is it recently or it happened since the first day you use the NUC?
          Which is the video port you are using? Are you using adapters or converters?
          Do you have the chance, depending on the video port that you are using to use a different cable? Just to rule out a possible problem with the cable itself.
          Do you have the option to test the NUC on a different monitor? The problem could be related to the monitor as well.

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

• 2. Re: Blinking screen
            Intel Corporation

, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto

• 3. Re: Blinking screen
              Avishay

Dear Alberto, thank you for your kind assistance.

I have tried to update the BIOS, it showed that it is updating, and after a few minutes I was requested to restart my PC.

From that point the PC was stuck on the Intel NUC logo for a very long (and stressful) time without even showing the F2/F7 bios options.

After a long (and stressful) Google research I found out that it might be the USB3 hard drive connected to the PC, after removing it, the computer is booting properly.

Moreover, each time I enter the Visual BIOS, after exiting it, the computer wouldn't boot if the USB3 hard drive is connected.

Regrading the instructions you gave me for BIOS updating, it was unclear and confusing.

1. You pointed me to the F7 instructions that also contained a .bio file for other system, luckily I'm experienced enough not to be confused with that.

2. In the F7 instructions it is not necessary to save the .bio file to a thumb USB drive, it can be saved on the system hard drive.

3. Why did you point me in the beginning to the F7 method instead for the simple Express BIOS update with .exe file?

Regarding my initial query, I will check it for a day or two and update if there is any improvement about screen blinking.

Thanks & BR,

Avishay.

• 4. Re: Blinking screen
                Intel Corporation

You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know those details. The reason why the NUC is showing this behavior could be related to compatibility  between the NUC and the USB 3.0 hard drive.
                If you connect any other USB 3.0 device like a flash drive, is the problem the same?
                One of the things we can try to fix this problem, will be to get in the BIOS, look for “Boot”, the look for “Boot Devices”, then “ Boot Configuration” and unchecked where it says “USB”.

Now, the .BIO file for version 0362 provided previously is the right one for your NUC, that is the latest BIOS version available for it, it is compatible with different NUCs including yours.
                Based in our experienced, the most reliable method to do a BIOS update is the F7 method with a USB flash drive, since, unlike the express method, it has nothing to do with Windows and it does the update directly to the BIOS, that way you do not even need to boot to Windows. Just like any other procedure there are different methods to do it, we are just giving you the most effective one but at the end is your decision which one to use.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: Blinking screen
                  Intel Corporation

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,
                  Alberto