Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz / Asus Z170-A Motherboard reboot failure

idata
Employee

On Saturday 1/4/17 the Computer failed to restart from a software reboot

It would not complete POST (stopped before the normal single Post bleeped) or display anything to screen and I could not enter BOIS etc.

My computer comprises of (All new 19/12/2016)

Asus Z170-A Motherboard

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Boxed retail

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit – Black

Corsair VS Series 550 Watt VS550 Power Supply

LiteOn iHAS124 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA – OEM

Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB

Corsair Hydro Series H45 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Using on board Graphics

Fault observations

On board LED's

3 Design LED's ON ,Standby LED Lit Green and steady

LED Turn on sequence >CPU LED on then quickly off > Dram LED On then Off Quickly

Then halt to progress

My diagnosing testing work

Tested power supply

restore BIOS setting by shorting CLRTC jumper

Removed all Hard and CD drives etc. so no externals

Still the same

I Installed an old graphic card then it would Fully POST and work normally. On removing the old graphic card to use Just the iGPU HD Graphics 530 then the fault comes back.

Q) can a CPU i5-6600K partially work, the HD Graphics 530 part fail and the rest work OK ?. As Asus customer care are trying to claim its Intel fault and I should replace the CPU but i think its the motherboard.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

PeterBrough, thank you very much for joining the Intel® processors communities.

To answer your question, yes, there have been a few cases where the graphic part of the processor fails and the rest of the features work fine.

According to the information you gave us above, it says the memory is running at 3000MHz and that speed is too high for the processor to work with it, the processor supports DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V, so please make sure the memory is running at 2133MHz tops:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=6600K http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=6600K

Now, for this scenario what we recommend to do will be to test the PC with the very basic configuration. Please test it with the power supply, processor, just one memory stick at 2133 MHZ, connected to the monitor with no hard drive and no video card, then turn it on, we should get a boot agent error or the BIOS of the board. If we get that then you can connect the hard drive and add the rest of the memory sticks one by one.

Please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

idata
Employee

Thanks for your response Alberto

To be honest I brought the memory because they were on the Asus Z170 - supported memory list and the price. I did not set the memory speed manually I loaded the default BIOS settings, and after testing I used the Asus utility to optimise the system, it has the MaxBandwidth as 2132MHz. and it was working well for 4 months but I don't know what speed that was at but it was very stable until it stopped working

With regards to your recommend testing of the PC I had done that, with the exception I did not know what the memory was set at. When I tested my PC it would not post without an dedicated GPU. I will try again tomorrow making certain of the memory speed.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to another compatible CPU or motherboard as I would like to try swapping them over as well.

Now I have your info I will try again with an eye on memory speed and will let you know of the progress

Kind Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

PeterBrough, you are welcome.

And yes, if after trying the steps above the problem persists then the next thing to do will be to swap parts, that is one of the last steps to do because sometimes that option is not available. So, please take your time and test the PC with you get the chance and let us know the results. Just to let you know the board might be able to run at a higher memory speed, but the thing is that the memory controller is located on the processor, so the processor is the one that indicates which memory will be fully compatible. If the memory RAM is running at 2133MHz then the processor should work just fine with it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alberto

Thanks for your continuing support it always nice to have fresh thoughts on a problem it also stops you going mad.

I went back to fault finding, firstly I went to the Asus BIOS tuning program in windows 10 and removed any overclocking settings, rebooted and went into BIOS and memory is running at 2132.1MHz on the default settings

Turned off mains

Removed the old graphic card (AND Radeon HD 6670)

Disconnected Hard and SSD drives

Removed all memory sticks and replaced 1 stick in default slot DIMM _A

Connected Monitor to built-in motherboard VGA port

Crossed fingers and restarted

No Luck

Just as before, it would not Post fully but you could see some progress through the on-board LEDs, it checked CPU OK > Dram OK, then halt, no beep/s, no display output on any VGA, HDMI or DISPLAY port (if all was well it would make 1 beep and then display ASUS on screen then go to bios or windows)

So, no communications with the on-board Intel® HD Graphics 530 that's on the CPU.

The question is what's at fault the "Asus" Motherboard or the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor" that contains the on-board Intel® HD Graphics 530?

I don't have access to another motherboard or CPU but if I did, could swapping them over cause damage. As I don't know what's at fault how do I ask for a warranty replacement as each may blame the other.

Help!!!

Kind regards

Peter

Ps replacing old graphic card "AND Radeon HD 6670" and it reboots

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

PeterBrough, You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those steps and the results after trying them.

There is no problem to try to swap parts, it will not caused any damage, that is actually one step that we recommend to identify if the problem is the processor or the board, just make sure if you have the option to do that, to confirm that the parts are fully compatible. You can do that by checking the compatible products for the board or processor depending on the model. As you mentioned above, it is kind of difficult at this point to make sure if the problem is the processor or the board, based on some cases we have, normally the problem is related to the board, but that is not for sure.

I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

PeterBrough, I just wanted to check if you received the private message and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Alberto

Using the information and links in your private message I have started a return under warranty, the CPU is being picked up today. When i have it returned i shall do a swap and we will know the answer to "what's at fault the "Asus" Motherboard or the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor" .

I must say that Jacqueline at Intel customer support and your good self have been most helpful.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, PeterBrough, you are welcome, perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you will be able to replace the processor, once you get the chance please let us know the results of testing the new unit.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Alberto

Today was the day I got my under warranty replacement CPU delivered from Intel via "DHL express service" all at no cost to myself, it was a bit delayed due to Easter bank holiday, my CPU was picked up from my home address and returned to Intel following day, Intel started the return to me following day, overall I must say a very good service, now I know why it pays to buy a boxed CPU and not OEM.

So to testing it.

I removed the old graphic card (AND Radeon HD 6670) put the replacement CPU into my computer crossed my finger and turned on the power and pressed the start button, it booted up without further problems. After going through the BIOS settings just to make checking all was well, it could read Intel® HD Graphics 530 that's on the CPU.

I did a burn in test using the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit" a run taking 2 Hrs and it Passed all tests.

I now know the answer to "what's at fault the "Asus" Motherboard or the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor" .it was the "Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor"

Thanks to everyone for the support and Help

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, PeterBrough, You are welcome. Excellent, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed by using the new processor, it should work from now on with no problems.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos