7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 6:34 AM by Kmatsu

Return from Sleep mode

Kmatsu

Dear expert,

I have faced with the problem on custom board.
      When the Edison is waked by PWRBTN# pin input from Sleep mode, the Sleep mode is not release quickly.
      Why is this situation happen ?

I tell you this situation in more detail.

A command is also set to wake but the Sleep mode is not released.
      Used command : systemctl stop wpa_supplicant; echo mem > /sys/power/state

In the case of 2 minutes of Sleep time and PWRBTN# interrupt, the OS starts after approx. 4 minutes.

This is a dmesg log when the PWRBTN# was pushed at 18:39.

===============================
      [Tue Apr  4 18:37:01 2017] Cannot set affinity for irq 317 [Tue Apr  4 18:37:01 2017] smpboot: CPU 1 is now offline [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] wakeup from  IRQ 30 [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] IRQ 30,action name:msic_power_btn [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] [mid_powerbtn] power button pressed [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
      [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 1 APIC 0x2 [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] Initializing CPU#1 [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] Skipped synchronization checks as TSC is reliable.
      [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] Num p-states 2 [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] State [0]: core_frequency[500] transition_latency[100] control[0x52b] [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] State [1]: core_frequency[500] transition_latency[100] control[0x52b] [Tue Apr  4 18:42:57 2017] CPU1 is up [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] PM: noirq resume of devices complete after 212.167 msecs [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] PM: early resume of devices complete after 0.918 msecs [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] bcmsdh_sdmmc_resume Enter [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] bcmsdh_sdmmc_resume Enter [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] bcmsdh_sdmmc_resume Enter [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] bcove_thrm bcove_thrm: resume called.
      [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] snd_intel_sst: runtime_resume called [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] PM: resume of devices complete after 110.104 msecs [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] PM: Finishing wakeup.
      [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] snd_intel_sst: runtime_idle called [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] snd_intel_sst: runtime_suspend called [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] Restarting tasks ... done.
      [Tue Apr  4 18:42:58 2017] [mid_powerbtn] power button released ===============================

Linux version is "Linux edison3 3.10.98-poky-edison+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 6 14:32:08 PDT 2016 i686 GNU/Linux".

Could you help me to solve this problem ?.

Best regards,

• 1. Re: Return from Sleep mode
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Kmatsu,

Thanks for reaching out!

I just tested this and I'm having no issues, when I try to wake the Edison, using the power button or otherwise, the board wakes up almost immediately. Therefore, I would think that there might be something strange on your board's image. So, my suggestion is that you flash your board to the latest image and then try again. Let us know if the issue persists.

I hope this information helps you,
          Pedro M.

• 2. Re: Return from Sleep mode
            Intel Corporation

Hello Kmatsu,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.

• 3. Re: Return from Sleep mode
              Kmatsu

Hi Pedro M.,

I have found the cause of delayed behavior which is to return from sleep mode. The cause is USB_VBUS handling on our product board using Edison module(I called custom board in previouse sentence several days ago) . Our product is not used USB function and the USB_VBUS pin is "OPEN". When I have confirmed with connect 5V voltage to the USB_VBUS pin. Then, Sleep mode is released quickly by interrupt. 

Does OS check the USB signal or something when the sleep mode is released using interrupt ?

Kmatsu

• 4. Re: Return from Sleep mode
                Intel Corporation

I'm not certain about this since, as far as I know, it is not detailed on the official documentation. Nevertheless, if you are using a custom board and you indeed determined that this unexpected behavior is caused when Edison is on this board, I would suggest you to follow the configuration used on the official expansion boards in order to avoid this unexpected behavior. 

Keep us updated on your project. But please be aware that custom board issues are out of the scope of the support, nevertheless, if you do have issues we'll do our best effort to help you.

Pedro M.

• 5. Re: Return from Sleep mode
                  Kmatsu

Hi Pedro M.

I have confirmed for USB_VBUS on Breakout board which is not supplied from USB ( Thatt's why, using stabilized power supply ). On this situation, the delayed release from sleep mode is happen on Breakout board same as our product board. If the 0V level is applied to the USB_VBUS, I also see the delay on Breakout board. I guess that the USB_VBUS is need to power supply both of USB funtiion is used and not used.

So, I changed the USB_VBUS handling on our product board from OPEN to 5V input.

>Keep us updated on your project. But please be aware that custom board issues are out of the scope of the support, nevertheless, if you do have issues we'll do our >best effort to help you.

Thanks a lot.

Kmatsu

• 6. Re: Return from Sleep mode
                    Intel Corporation

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find the root of the issue. 

We are glad to help! If you ever have any other doubts or questions, please don't hesitate to come back to the community, we'll do our best to help you.

Pedro M.

• 7. Re: Return from Sleep mode
                      Kmatsu

Hi Pedro M.,

Thanks a million!.

Please close this thread.

Kmatsu