4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 1:39 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Skullcanyon EDRAM Frequency Indicator (XTU)

TMASHP

Hello,

I just got my Skullcanyon NUC, so far I love it, noticed this frequency indicator "EDRAM Frequency", I read that on some systems like the i7-5775C you can disable or overclock EDRAM, usually when you disable it, XTU indicates 0mhz as seen in screenshot. Thats what my NUC is reporting, is it disabled? There is no bios option for controlling edram either.

What I would like to know, does XTU support correctly reporting  6770hq/irispro580 systems?

Capture.PNG

Thank you!

i7-5775C example: eDRAM Overclocking on the Intel Core i7-5775C Broadwell CPU - Legit Reviews3DMark Cloud Gate Graphics Test Overall Perfo…

• 1. Re: Intel Skullcanyon EDRAM Frequency Indicator (XTU)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

Just to let you know, I ran the XTU on the Intel® NUC6i7KYK we have in our lab, and I also see the same value for the EDRAM frequency. So, I will do further research on this matter in order to confirm if that means that it is disable or that it is not working; and if it can be overclocked with the tool.

To answer your second question, the Intel® XTU software interface exposes a set of robust capabilities common in most enthusiast platforms along with special new features available on new Intel® Processors and Intel® Motherboards, so it should work just fine with the i7-6770HQ processor or any other Intel® processor and it should report correctly.

All the known issues are reported on the link below, I verified that document and there is no information about a problem between the tool and your processor or with EDRAM:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24075/eng/XTU-6_2-MR-ReleaseNotes.pdf

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,
          Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Skullcanyon EDRAM Frequency Indicator (XTU)
            TMASHP

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback and support!

I recently noticed this in my linux kernel log which may help:

[    2.557021] [drm] Initialized

[    2.926984] [drm] Found 128MB of eDRAM

[    2.927785] [drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 4096M

[    2.928027] fb: switching to inteldrmfb from simple

[    2.928332] [drm] Replacing VGA console driver

[    2.933848] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).

[    2.933850] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.

[    2.943439] [drm] Finished loading i915/skl_dmc_ver1_26.bin (v1.26)

[    3.216131] [drm] failed to retrieve link info, disabling eDP

[    3.230487] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20160919 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0

[    3.286888] fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device

[    3.556051] [drm:gen8_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

[    3.557665] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device

[    4.542219] [drm] RC6 on

[    4.896711] [drm:gen8_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

I'm guessing that's good news, and a way to confirm it? drm seems the i915 GPU driver by intel.

Thanks,

Regards,

Talal

• 3. Re: Intel Skullcanyon EDRAM Frequency Indicator (XTU)
              Melaniess

Isn't it XTU known issue? I use Dell NB got the same status.

• 4. Re: Intel Skullcanyon EDRAM Frequency Indicator (XTU)
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi, and . You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information.

I just received an update from the research we are doing on this regard and based that information I just wanted to let you know that the BIOS team is currently looking into this scenario, but according to them it may take several weeks until they can provide a possible solution for this matter.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
                Alberto