10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 5:49 AM by Traveler

NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached

Traveler

I have an Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH that is having a peculiar problem. Here are the details.

Setup:

1. Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH

2. One Internal Seagate 1 TB Hard Drive - OS is installed on this.

3. 16 GB RAM - 8 x 2 GB SO-DIMM's - Crucial

4. Two External USB 3.0 WD 2.0 TB drives connected to Rear USB Ports. Both are data drives, no boot partitions on these. These are both WD's but two different models.

5. USB Mouse and Keyboard - Connected to front USB Ports

Symptoms: The system is working fine except when cold rebooted. After a cold reboot the NUC goes into an indefinite boot loop. I just see the NUC Logo and then it reboots after a few seconds. Cannot enter the BIOS since the F2, F7 etc message does not appear on the bottom right of the monitor. The keyboard and mouse are unresponsive.

Procedure to boot: Unplug both the external hard drives and reboot. The system proceeds to boot normally. Once booted, I can then plug in the two external drives and they appear to work fine. A warm reboot causes no problem and the system works properly and boots up just fine.

Things tried to resolve the issue: Tweaked all the BIOS settings like, UEFI Boot -> disable/enable, Watchdog -> disable/enable, USB xhci mode -> disable/enable and many other parameters as discussed throughout the forum. However the problem remains. I am running the latest BIOS as well. Version RYDBWi35.86A dated 1/18/2017.

Other Observations: Have tried powering up the external USB drives with a powered USB hub which has no effect, the system still goes into a boot loop. Also noticed that when the drives are attached the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive. It seems as the whole USB bus is hung till I remove the external USB drives. If I remove "both" the drives during the boot loop, I immediately get a message on screen saying that POST has failed and I could either press F2 to go into BIOS or F9 to continue. The keyboard and mouse come alive at this stage and I can press F2 to go into BIOS and start twiddling my thumbs . Last point, I did install this system using a 16GB Pen drive so apparently pen drives may be working after a cold reboot. I think the issue is with the two external drives plugged in.

Would appreciate if Intel support can look into this matter and provide a resolution. Would be happy to provide any more details as required.

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Traveler,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

• Operating System installed:
          • Was the OS installed in Legacy or UEFI mode?
          • What happens when only one of the two external drives is connected? Test each one.
          • Have you tried connecting the external drives to the front USB ports?
          • Is there any OS image (no boot partitions) along with other data in any of the external drives?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
          JC

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
            Traveler

Thanks for your reply. Please find my responses inline .

• Operating System installed:

I am running OpenMediaVault 3.0.58 based on Debian Linux 4.3, Here is the output of the uname -a command from the machine...

Linux nas 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1~bpo8+1 (2017-02-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Was the OS installed in Legacy or UEFI mode?

The OS is installed on the Internal 1 TB drive with the BIOS at it's default values. I believe it would have installed it in the Legacy mode as all UEFI options do not seems to be active with default      BIOS setup.

• What happens when only one of the two external drives is connected? Test each one.

I had tested this already, there is no change in behavior. The system still fails to boot.

• Have you tried connecting the external drives to the front USB ports?

Yes, tried that too, absolutely no change. I connected the drives at front and the keyboard and mouse at rear with no effect. The system still reboots at the POST stage.

• Is there any OS image (no boot partitions) along with other data in any of the external drives?

No boot partitions on the external drives, Both were completely wiped and repartitioned with only one EXT4 partition that has data. They were not marked as BOOT partitions.

Also just to mention that I have already tried all the BIOS settings related to UEFI boot related to enable / disable the boot, completely disable USB boot options etc, but it still does not work.  I even turned off the Watchdog as mentioned in another thread and also changed the xhci settings to all possible values. Also played with USB Power states and Autodetect settings in BIOS.

Please let me know if you need any other information and I will be glad to provide it.

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
              Intel Corporation

Hi Traveler,

Thank you for the information.

For testing purposes, can you see if the problem persists in a Windows environment (Windows® 10 preferably)?

If yes, please load BIOS defaults (F9) before installing the OS, then disable Legacy boot and leave UEFI boot enabled, save changes and exit (F10).

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
              JC

• 4. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                Traveler

Hi JC,

I could try that, but it would mean breaking up the whole setup that I have just painstakingly installed and configured.

Let me know if you still want me to test and I will re-build the machine with Windows 10. The reason I am saying this is because the problem that I am facing is occurring before the OS bootloader is even loaded so changing the OS to Windows 10 or any other OS should not matter. The system never gets a chance to read the Internal Hard Drive to even get to the point to load the OS Bootloader. This is my opinion obviously and I may be missing something. So please let me know if you think I should rebuild with Windows 10 and post the results.

• 5. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                  Traveler

Also, the problem does not occur when doing a Warm Reboot. So if I do a reboot using the booted up Linux OS the system comes back up online without any issues. Both drives get detected and work without and problem. Just thought I would add this bit too.

• 6. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Traveler,

Thank you for the information.

Per the information you provided, you are able to see the Intel® NUC logo and then the system restarts itself, seems that the problem is right before the unit loads the OS. The reason why I asked to install Windows® 10 is because of the Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products.

Did the system use to work without any issues?
                    Did this start happening after any hardware/software change or update?

At this moment, to avoid installing the OS, I would recommend a BIOS Recovery using the security jumper method to ensure this is not happening due to BIOS corruption.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
                    JC

• 7. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                      Traveler

Thanks JC,

I will do both the BIOS recovery and install Windows 10 and post the results back. The NUC is brand new, just bought it a few days back and set it up. The problem was noticed when I powered it down to give it a cold reboot after setting it up. It has been running perfectly, apart from this issue.

• 8. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                        Traveler

Hi JC,

Here are the results.

1. I recovered the flash using the process specified and by the book. There is no change in behavior. The system till reboots at the NUC screen.

2. Using a spare Hard Drive I installed an official copy of Windows 10 Enterprise using a USB pendirve. The system installed and booted up correctly.

3. Switched off the system by doing a proper Windows Shutdows. Reconnected the external drives and switched it back on.

4. The system again went into the Boot Loop. The NUC Screen comes up but does not show the Hot keys at the bottom right corner and then the system reboots. Keyboard and mouse are unresponsive at this time as well. This is same behavior as earlier.

5. I have shot a Video of the boot process, let me know if you would like to see it and I can send you a private link to see it. Just shows the NUC screen and then an abrupt reboot.

Please let me know any next steps that we can try. Thanks a lot for all your help till now.

• 9. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Traveler,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                          JC

• 10. Re: NUC5i3RYH fails to cold reboot with external USB 3.0 drives attached
                            Traveler

Hi JC,

I was contacted by Intel Support and while that discussion is going on, I thought I will update you with something interesting.

While playing around with the BIOS, I switched off Devices -> USB Ports to "No Detect" for ports 1, 2 and 5, 6. Leaving the default of "Enable" for ports 3 and 4 (Front Ports, where I have the keyboard and Mouse attached). Voila, the problem is solved. The machines boot up beautifully now even from a cold reboot and with the drives plugged in.

So my inference is that by switching of USB Ports 1,2, 5 and 6 to "No Detect" it stops looking for any devices attached on those ports and proceeds for a bootup and is successful.

Thought I will update you. Sure seems like a BIOS Bug to me now.