1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 6:23 AM by Electrumpet

startup script won't run while application does

Electrumpet

Dear list,

Reaching out again.

My last step toward a running application and of course I run into problems again...

I have a program that runs without any problems when I run it with eclipse from my computer (MacOsX 10.9.5).

When I copy the compiled version to the Edison I can run that program also on the Edison and it works again flawlessly:

./mergeGesticUDP

Then when I try to make a startup service out of it it fails. It seems that everything goes as expected until I am already running the program. It seems that a certain action is not working.

The proces goes wrong on this portion of the code:

/* Initialize all variables and required resources of gestic */

gestic_initialize(&gestic);

/* Try to open a connection to the device */

if(gestic_open(&gestic) < 0) {

fprintf(stderr, "Could not open connection to GestIC.\n");

return -1;

}

When I run:

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl status mergeGesticUDP.service

● mergeGesticUDP.service - GestIC data in OSC to computer

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mergeGesticUDP.service; enabled)

Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-03-31 22:22:01 UTC; 9s ago

Process: 621 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mergeGesticUDP (code=exited, status=255)

Main PID: 621 (code=exited, status=255)

Mar 31 22:22:01 ediElectrumpet systemd[1]: mergeGesticUDP.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a

Mar 31 22:22:01 ediElectrumpet systemd[1]: Unit mergeGesticUDP.service entered failed state.

Mar 31 22:22:01 ediElectrumpet mergeGesticUDP[621]: Could not open connection to GestIC.

Mar 31 22:22:01 ediElectrumpet mergeGesticUDP[621]: GestIC-Stream-Demo version 1.2.0

It is clear that there is a problem when the program tries to make a connection to the GestIC device. This device is connected through the OTG USB connection on the Edison.

Should I include something in the .service script that says that using the USB connection is ok?

At the moment it looks like this (based on https://www.losant.com/blog/edison-automatic-process-startup ):

[Unit]

Description=GestIC data in OSC to computer

Wants=network-online.target

After=network-online.target

[Service]

ExecStart=/usr/local/mergeGesticUDP/mergeGesticUDP

User=nobody

Restart=on-failure

RestartSec=10

WorkingDirectory=/usr/local/mergeGesticUDP/

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

At the moment I am without a clue and I can't find related issues on the internet either...

Best, Hans.

• 1. Re: startup script won't run while application does
          Electrumpet

Dear all,

Finally this turned out to be very easy. The problem was in the User. It turned out that it should not be 'nobody'. Found that here:

Sonarr.service Error Sonarr Won't Autostart - Help & Support - sonarr :: forums

root@ediElectrumpet:~# whoami; id -g -n

root

root

root@ediElectrumpet:~# cd /lib/systemd/system

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# vi mergeGesticUDP.service

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# chmod 755 /lib/systemd/system/mergeGesticUDP.service

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# chown root:root /lib/systemd/system/mergeGesticUDP.service

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl daemon-reload

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl start mergeGesticUDP.service

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl status mergeGesticUDP.service

mergeGesticUDP.service - GestIC data in OSC to computer

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mergeGesticUDP.service; enabled)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-03-31 22:12:27 UTC; 6s ago

Main PID: 542 (mergeGesticUDP)

CGroup: /system.slice/mergeGesticUDP.service

└─542 /usr/local/mergeGesticUDP/mergeGesticUDP

Mar 31 22:12:27 ediElectrumpet systemd[1]: Started GestIC data in OSC to computer.

Mar 31 22:12:27 ediElectrumpet libmraa[542]: libmraa version v1.0.0 initialised by user 'root' with EUID 0

Mar 31 22:12:27 ediElectrumpet libmraa[542]: gpio214: init: Failed to write to 'export': No such device

Mar 31 22:12:27 ediElectrumpet libmraa[542]: edison: Arduino board not detected, assuming Intel Edison Miniboard

Mar 31 22:12:27 ediElectrumpet libmraa[542]: libmraa initialised for platform 'Intel Edison' of type 2

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system#

In my new service file I also used the name of the service state of my USB device (I guess that if that is present it means that it is active, apparently so since the script works)

I could find the service state using this:

root@ediElectrumpet:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl status /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Microchip_Technology_Inc._GestIC_Bridge-if00

dev-serial-by\x2did-usb\x2dMicrochip_Technology_Inc._GestIC_Bridge\x2dif00.device - CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo

Follow: unit currently follows state of sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:11.0-dwc3\x2dhost.2-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1:1.0-tty-ttyACM0.device

Loaded: loaded

Active: active (plugged) since Fri 2017-03-31 22:08:40 UTC; 17min ago

Device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/dwc3-host.2/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/tty/ttyACM0

So my service file now looks like this:

[Unit]

Description=GestIC data in OSC to computer

Requires=sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:11.0-dwc3\x2dhost.2-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1:1.0-tty-ttyACM0.device

After=sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:11.0-dwc3\x2dhost.2-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1:1.0-tty-ttyACM0.device

[Service]

ExecStart=/usr/local/mergeGesticUDP/mergeGesticUDP

User=root

Group=root

Restart=on-failure

RestartSec=5s

[Install]

WantedBy=sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:11.0-dwc3\x2dhost.2-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1:1.0-tty-ttyACM0.device

Any further advice is welcome but I am happy because it works!!!!!!

Now further making art........

Best, Hans.