7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 9:33 AM by Intel Corporation

Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset

ship69

Hello

I need a storage controller driver for my Samsung NP740U3E-S04UK laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset (I think).

Background:
      I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 on a Samsung NP740U3E-S04UK laptop.

The original 128GB SSD was too small, so I got someone to replace it with at 512GB mSATA Samsung (PM841 Series MZMTD512HAGL-00000 mSATA 512GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD). Eventually I upgraded my Window 8 to Windows 10. Unfortunately Windows 10 eventually became corrupted.

I have used MediaCreationTool to created a Windows 10 recovery disk on a memory stick, but although Windows Setup runs off the memory stick, Windows now can't see my SSD(!)

I can get a command prompt, but when I tried downloading Minitool Partition Wizard but it won't run.

I am told that I need a storage controller driver for my motherboard.

Can anyone help?

J

• 1. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ship69,

I understand you are trying to get the proper storage controller driver so you can make the operating system recognize your new SSD.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

I regret to inform you that the Intel HM76 Express Chipset supports up to Windows 8.1*.  What I can recommend is reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.  You can reinstall the operating system that came with the computer using the Samsung* Recovery Discs.  This link will show you how to get them http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/skp/faq/1083552

Regards,
          Fred

• 2. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
            ship69

Wait - are you saying that the Intel HM76 Express chipset does not work at all with Windows 10?

Or are you saying that it will not work reliably?

The fact is that I have been using my 512GB SSD with Windows 10 perfectly reliably for the last 9 months. Only recently in the last week have problems started!

With thanks

J

• 3. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
              Intel Corporation

Hello ship69,

Due to there are no drivers available for Windows 10* some of the chipset features might work and some of other features might not work.  Depending on the generic drivers the operating system will be able to load then the features of the computer that are going to work.

If you are currently having issues with Windows 10* the best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.

Regards,
              Fred

• 4. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
                ship69

Fred

I'm not sure that I understand you. Are you just talking about the HM76 chipset or are you saying that Intel is completely unready for Windows 10 or what?

> Depending on the generic drivers the operating system will be able to load then the
                > features of the computer that are going to work.
                What are these generic drivers? Where do they come from? And what are they likely to do?

Will Samsung have written their own drivers?

What sorts of things are likely to go wrong when this happens?
                Will it immediately be obvious in the windows 10 Device Manager if anything has gone wrong?

i.e. Will it display a yellow "!" on the devices that don't have the correct drivers?

Like I say Window 10 has worked just fine on my Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook (model: NP740U3E-S04UK) for many months. The current problem however is that my Windows 10 Recovery DVD is failing to see the 512GB SSD. However the SSD may be faulty, I'm not yet sure.

Thanks

J

• 5. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
                  Intel Corporation

Hello ship69,

What I am saying is that the Intel HM76 chipset is not fully compatible with Windows 10* so we cannot provide a storage driver for it.

Generic drivers allow you to use just the basic features of the chipset.  These are drivers the operating system installs through Windows* Update.  These drivers will just allow the operating system to recognize the device, but it might not work properly.

Samsung* has tested and validated drivers for your computer, but their drivers will work with the operating system that came preinstalled in the computer only.

We can expect any type of behavior in the computer if generic graphics drivers are being used.  Some examples of different behaviors the computer might have are performance issues, error messages in Windows*, blue screens of death, devices not being properly recognized, etc.

In Device Manager you may get several devices with yellow exclamation marks because no drives can be installed for that device.

I know that Windows 10* has been working fine for many months in your computer, but there are no fixes, drivers or workaround we can provide if the operating system is not compatible.

The best option would be reinstalling the operating system that came with the computer so you can have drivers for it.  You can reinstall the operating system that came with the computer using the Samsung* Recovery Discs.  This link will show you how to get them http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/skp/faq/1083552

Regards,
                  Fred

• 6. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
                    ship69

Going back to Window 8 is not really an option.

As there are no "!" marks in my Devices Manager, and given that Windows 10 did work just fine for many months I suppose I will just have to risk it.

There is also a piece of software called Samsung Update (or similar) which I shall install to help recover any Samsung drivers that the system might need.

Btw when the new version of Windows 10 arrives here in the UK (in the next couple days I am told) will that be likely to help or make the system even less stable?

J

• 7. Re: Storage controller driver needed for a Samsung laptop which has a HM76 Express chipset
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ship69,

Depending on the changes Microsoft* is going to do to their operating system then the way your computer is going to behave.  Due to the lack of Windows 10* drivers I cannot guarantee the computer will work fine.

You can try checking with Samsung* if they have any information about if they have tested or not the new Windows* update in your specific laptop model.

Regards,
                      Fred