5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 2:47 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.

arcam

I have a client with a NUC5I7RYH, 2500 Series 180GB SATA M.2 SSD, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L Non ECC CL11, and Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

It's been running fine for a year, but it has started to do two things regularly.  Sometimes it will just lock up.  Only a hard reset will clear it.

Some times, it will just reboot itself and fail to see the boot drive.  Black screen with the "no operating system" message.  If I power it down, then power back up, it boots into Windows.

These freezes and reboots are becoming a daily thing.

Box if fully patched and drivers have been updated.  SSD toolbox shows all is good with the drive.  Nothing shows up in the event logs.  No new software added.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.
          N.Scott.Pearson

Lockups and spontaneous resets are often the result of a failure in the memory subsystem. Noise on the bus can cause these failures; if noise garbles the signal to threshold levels (making 1's look like 0's), the bus will hang and the system will eventually be reset by the recovery watchdog. Noise can build up as components wear -- though I wouldn't have expected this after only a year. Still, try disabling the (1600MHz) XMP profile and manually configure the memory to run at 1333MHz and see if this alleviates the issue. Alternatively, you could try another SODIMM (or pair of SODIMMs).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.
            arcam

I can try this.  I have replacement memory too.

I'm puzzle by the not being able to see the boot drive.  I've only seen this before when there is no drive or a failed drive.  I've never seen it give this error and then on power down/power up boot back into windows (it does go into the screen where you can choose to boot normally or into safe mode).

• 3. Re: NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello arcam,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

That is a good recommendation N. Scott Pearson is providing, I have seen as well this behavior when the system is overheating, have you checked the NUC temperature? If this recommendation does not solve the issue, please bear in mind that you have three years warranty for the unit and you can contact support for a replacement.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.
                arcam

Bios shows all temperatures as normal.  I tried the recommendations and the issue persisted.  I moved the SSD to another NUC and the issue followed.

I erased the SSD, installed it in another NUC and attempted to install Windows.  The installation starts, installs files, then on reboot, the SSD disappears.  On the forth installation attempt, the installation made it past the reboot, but shortly afterwards, it shut down as before.  The bios would not see the drive until a complete power cycle.

99% certain it's the SSD.

I installed a replacement SSD in the original NUC, installed Windows and the NUC has been running without issues.

• 5. Re: NUC5I7RYH reboots then can not find a boot drive.
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

arcam I really appreciate you have taken your time to share your findings with us, I hope this can help others with similar issues.

I hope this can solve this issue completely.

Best regards,

Ivan.