cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

msata / m.2 via USB

TFlai
New Contributor

I want to access files from an Dell imaged mSata ssd. I want to do this via USB sata adapter cable to a sata to mSata adapter card. I know the adapter works because I have used it with other drives, and I know the drive works because when it's installed in the PC it boots right up. However Dell uses IRRT and the bios is set to "Raid On" out of the box. When I connect these particular drives to the adapter setup, The appear in disk management, but as "no media" same with disk part. I have also tried RAID specific recovery software such as UFS to no avail. I suspect that it has something to do with the Raid configuration, but in all my googlings I can't seem to find out any way to recover those sorts of configurations without the installation media from the same PC.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Tripe46,

We understand you would like to access some files from an mSata SSD.-Did the SSD come with the computer?-What is the brand of SSD you are trying to access?-Did you contact Dell* about this situation already?We'll be waiting for your response.Regards,Nestor C

TFlai
New Contributor

Hi,

Yes, the ssd came with the computer. It is a Samsung PM851. p/n mzmte256hmhp-000D1.

I did contact Dell with whom we have pro level support, but the rep with whom I spoke was not very helpful. I'm actually trying again with a new rep via web chat now. The last rep told me that Dell does not touch the "data side" of things...

However the more I experiment, the less I want to blame Dell. I've just done a clean (non dell) windows 10 install on the drive in question. I configured the BIOS for AHCI (instead of RAID). However I still cannot access the drive via USB cable. 2.5" ssds work fine with the same cable

Luckily I'm not currently in a situation where I need to recover files, I'm just trying to be proactive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Tripe46,

That is interesting. We are not sure how Samsung works with the drives when you connect them through an adapter. In this case, since we only provide support for Intel SSDs, we do recommend you to get in touch with Samsung support and verify if they have heard about this situation.Regards,Nestor C