1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 3:22 PM by Intel Corporation

multi-color LED ring?

DocJL

I just received my NUC7i3BNH yesterday, and everything is going great, I am in the process of configuring it to replace my existing HTPC laptop.

One question, on the presentation page of the NUC, it says: "A multi-color LED ring lets you personalize your NUC with the look you want."

The ring i see is always blue, and flashes as would a cpu light, so I am wondering why its described as "personalizable" and "multi-color"

I have searched for explanation about this to no avail

• 1. Re: multi-color LED ring?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

To answer your question, the multi-color LED ring customizable on the Intel® NUC7i3BNH, you can personalize it with different colors and also assign different activities to it, like for example: power indicator or hard drive activity, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information, please check page 52:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i3BNB_TechProdSpec.pdf

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: multi-color LED ring?
            Intel Corporation

, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
            Alberto

• 3. Re: multi-color LED ring?
              DocJL

Yes, exactly the info I was looking for, I have not played with it yet though.

Maybe an additional question if I may.

My Windows password contains numbers and I noticed that once in a while, after a restart, numlock is disabled on boot, which cause wrong password to be entered. I believe numlock on boot is a bios setting, isn't it? What I don't get is how come sometime I have numlock on and other times its off on boot.

• 4. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                Intel Corporation

, excellent, it is great to hear that the information provided above was useful for you.

To answer your question, yes, you can configure the num lock on the BIOS, please enter “num” in the BIOS search bar and you should be able to see two options:
                Bootup NumLock state: On
                Num Lock: Checked

That way the keyboard should always work, after you do that remember to press F10 to save the changes and exit.

Regards,
                Alberto

• 5. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                  DocJL

Thanks, that would be all for now.

• 6. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                    DocJL

Oddly enough, both settings were already on (as they should be by default, I believe).

I can't reproduce the behaviour systematically, tried both restart and shutdown/manual start, most of the time, numlock is on.

But thanks for the concise instructions, it will be all for now.

JL

• 7. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                      Intel Corporation

You are very welcome. We do our best in order to try to assist you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                      Alberto

• 8. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                        DocJL

There is something else

I do realize it has nothing to do with original question. Sorry about that.

I was preparing my new NUC in my office on a computer monitor, but being all done, I've just installed it in the living room on the tv.

I've noticed as soon as I shut down the NUC, or just restart it, it seems to send a signal to my tv to switch input from its hdmi-2 (pc) input to hdmi-1 (cable box).

I do not want nor need this behaviour, I am sure its user-configurable to tell the NUC not to send any change input command when it's powering down, can you point me to where to go about it?

Thanks in advance

• 9. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                          Intel Corporation

, No problem at all. Not sure if I fully understand the issue. Based on the description it seems to be this is a behavior is related to the TV itself. When the TV does not detect any signal at the moment when the NUC goes off or restarts, the TV automatically will assign HDMI-1 to the product that is currently connected, in this case the cable box.

Just for testing purposes, if you physically switch the HDMI ports assign to the NUC and the cable box, is the problem the same?

If you disconnect the cable box from the HDMI port, do you see the same behavior?

Regards,
                          Alberto

• 10. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                            DocJL

I was reading back my previous message and I hope it would have been clearer.

Take 2.

I've had a laptop computer connected to this samsung tv for over 3 years, on hdmi port# 2 and the set top cable box on hdmi port# 1.

When I was restarting the laptop or shutting it down, the tv always stayed on hdmi#2.

A couple hours ago, I removed the old laptop and put the NUC in its place, same hdmi wire, same hdmi# 2 input.

All goes well, but if I either restart or shutdown the NUC, my tv seems to be getting a command to switch input from hdmi# 2 to hdmi# 1 (because it senses hdmi#2 is disconnected?).

EDIT: This might ring a bell for you:

At this time I see an Intel AnyNet popup on screen.

All this makes me think the NUC tells my tv "since I'm signing out, might as well switch your input..."

Is this clearer for you this way?

I doubt my tv would automatically switch input as it never did that in ithe 3 years I had it

As it started as soon as the NUC was connected, in my mind, it must be the NUC that sends some command thru the hdmi wire to the tv.

• 11. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                              Intel Corporation

, Thank you very much for clarifying that information, we really appreciate that.

You mentioned that when the NUC restarts or goes off, the TV switches it from HDMI-2 where it is originally connected to HDMI-1, in that case:

What happens with the cable box, Is it showing on HDMI-2?
                              Could you please disconnect the cable box and let us know if the problem is the same?

In order to check a further details about this case, please provide the model of the laptop and the model of the TV.

Regards,
                              Alberto

• 12. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                                DocJL

When I shutdown or just restart the NUC, the tv just switches its input from hdmi 2 to hdmi 1, but nothing else happens. (apart from the tv displaying the familiar check source, etc etc)

As for the cable box that's off, it stays off.

In case of a restart I then have to fix the tv input back to hdmi 2 so it displays the pc's input.

Intel's AnyNet+ that pop's up just as the pc's shutting down, I had never seen this until I connected the NUC this afternoon.

A quick google search points AnyNet+ as a Samsung tv feature. Just plain odd it never acted-up until I swapped the laptop for the NUC.

If I disconnect the cable box from the tv, then use the pc a minute then shutdown windows, it doesn't switch the tv input to hdmi1. Tried it only once but with cablebox connected, the input switch happens consistently

The (former) laptop was an Acer Aspire E-570

The tv is a Samsung PN59D550C1F

• 13. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                                  Intel Corporation

, Thank you for providing that information, we just wanted to confirm the HDMI version on them. The NUC works with HDMI 2.0 and the laptop seems to use a previous version of it, so the behavior might be different.

In regard to AnyNet, from the information that I found, it allows different Samsung devices communicate with each other in a way that eliminates the need for multiple remote controls. To use Anynet on a TV and an external device, both the television and external device must have the Anynet feature. It is part of the HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI by using only one remote control. So it seems to be that feature actually belongs to Samsung, the NUC supports it as well so that is why you are getting that pop up, and this problem could be related to that feature. I will look for further details on that to confirm the information above.

In order for us to be able to see what the TV actually does, is there any way that you can provide a video and attached it to the thread for us to see how the HDMI ports are switching and the moment the pop up appears? That will be really helpful for us, so we can try to look for possible options to fix this problem.

Regards,

Alberto

• 14. Re: multi-color LED ring?
                                    DocJL

Problem solved,

went thru the Samsung tv pages and pages of menu until I stumbled upon the infamous AnyNet (sounds like SkyNet, for Terminator fans), which was enabled by default). I disabled it, then proceeded to restart the NUC and lo and behold, the tv doesn't switch input anymore!

So all this time, the tv was the culprit, but my former computer wasn't advanced enough to work with this less than useful feature.

Sorry to have thought the NUC was responsible; well actually it was playing along, but mainly the Samsung tv was running the show. Thanks again.

Do you still need the video to try and fix your end of the problem?

IMO, it isn't useful one bit for 99.99% of user out there to have the tv change hdmi input when the pc is shutting down, just restarting, or even going to sleep. I work in telcom support and it seems to me like 50% of tv owners struggle to use a remote control to switch input. I must have heard a gazillion times: "when i press Input, something pops up but disappear before I can read what it says..." (on most tv, the source list will only appear about 3 seconds then go off if no further buttons are pressed).

AnyNet is SkyNet...

1 2 Previous Next