1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 5:09 PM by Intel Corporation

How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?

tgoneil

My system frequently freezes every few days -- OUCH! The mouse arrow gets stuck and the keyboard is unresponsive. This article acknowledges the freeze issue:

Skylake bug causes Intel chips to freeze under 'complex workloads' - ExtremeTech

The recommended work around is to disable hyper-threading. Rummaging around the bios settings didn't reveal anything obvious.

So how do I disable hyper-threading?

Bonus question: what performance degradation would I expect? I typically run 2 virtualbox machines (one is windows and another is linux) at the same time, in addition to various loads in the host os which is LInux Mint.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello tgoneil,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

To disable the Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology follow the next steps:

Go to the BIOS (F2 during POST) > Advanced > Performance > Processor > uncheck Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology > Press F10 to save and exit.

In regards to the link you shared, the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK is not affected by the issue listed in the article, in addition, it is recommended to have the latest BIOS installed.

Running two virtual machines at the same time along with a non-validated OS for this device may cause performance issues.

For supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products click here.

"Customer-reported operating systems
          These operating system versions are reported as compatible by owners of Intel® NUC Boards and Kits. Intel hasn't validated these operating systems. We recommend you use the latest kernel. If you need assistance with Linux* on Intel NUC, check your distro's website and forums for peer assistance."

You can also check this website that provides information on how Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology helps the system run better.

Hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us again if you need further assistance.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
            tgoneil

Thank you Juan Carlos. I was able to disable hyper-threading per your instructions. Now we'll see if the freeze issue happens again. I was able to bring up both virtualbox vms that I routinely run, so I'm not seeing a performance degradation without hyper-threading enabled. That surprised me. Thought I might have seen some slowness, but not yet. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Greg

• 3. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
              Intel Corporation

Hi tgoneil,

You are welcome.

Please don't hesitate in reaching us again if you need further assistance.

Regards,
              Juan Carlos

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                tgoneil

System froze up again. It lasted about 11 hours since I disabled hyper-threading. Just now after forcing a reset by holding the power button, I verified that hyper-threading was in fact still disabled.

So, contrary to the suggestion in the article I posted, disabling hyper-threading did nothing to prevent a system freeze.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this recurring and completely annoying system freeze?

Back to square one.

Greg

• 5. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi tgoneil,

I am sorry to hear the system keeps freezing.

I know it is important how you allocate resources when setting up virtual machines, I can't provide much advice on that, but I can help you determine if there is a hardware issue (since the system isn't experiencing issues until after 11 hours, it doesn't sound like hardware to me).

I recommend the following:

• Make sure you have the latest BIOS (version 0059 was just released).
                  • Make sure all components are compatible (memory, especially the frequency).
                  • Test in a Windows environment, Windows® 10 Pro edition preferably, to see if you get the same behavior.
                  • Check some Linux Mint forums
                  • Check that the system is not overheating (check temperatures in BIOS).
                  Maybe another contributor can provide more information.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
                  JC
                  • 6. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                    tgoneil

Hello Juan Carlos,

Now the nuc is stuck while performing the BIOS update. I'm writing this note from my laptop.

I downloaded the bios file, SY0059.bio, (since I'm running linux mint on the nuc and NOT Windows) for my nuc6i3syk. MD5 value was verified as

fc3cc0788be1e9d040118ae6286beaf8  SY0059.bio

I saved it to an MS-DOS formatted USB drive, and it's the only file on the drive (aside from the hidden files the mac os creates automatically).

I rebooted the nuc with the flash drive installed and selected F7 followed by the bios file that showed up, SY0059.bio.

After pressing 'Enter' to confirm the bios update, the NUC has been stuck with the orange light continuously flashing on and off for the last 15 minutes.

Google searches indicated the flash process should take only 2 to 5 minutes.

So now what do I do?

Please respond as soon as you can (or anyone that can help), as I'm now dead in the water.

Thank you.

Greg

P.S. I just finished a memory test with memtest86 (as noted in this post: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?

and it passed with no errors)

• 7. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                      tgoneil

Ok, I was able to get the NUC to boot. I don't think version 59 got installed. sudo lshw reports the same firmware version as:

SYSKLi35.86A.0024.2015.1027.2142

So it looks like nothing changed.

• 8. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                        Intel Corporation

Hi tgoneil,

Let me apologize as I should have told you about the BIOS update methods.

Please try again updating the BIOS using the BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper method and let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
                        JC

• 9. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello tgoneil,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

If so, please don't hesitate in replying to this post.

Regards,
                          JC

• 10. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                            tgoneil

Thanks JC. The freeze issue keeps happening, but at this point I'm kind of done messing around with my 6i3 and am waiting for the Nuc7i5 to finally make its way to stores. If you got any insight into when Intel will actually make the 7i5 and 7i7 machines available, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Greg

• 11. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                              Intel Corporation

Hello tgoneil,

In this case, I would recommend contacting support for any possible warranty replacement:

Online Service Request
                              Live Chat

In regards to your last question about the availability of the new machines, I can see that you have another thread for that issue:

Is there a specific release date for NUC7i5BNK?

I would recommend checking the thread above to see if any peer has new information as there isn't any ETA yet, however; the products should be available at any moment.

Best Regards,
                              JC

• 12. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                                tgoneil

Thank you Juan Carlos for the update.

I've decided I am going to to try the BIOS update using the jumper instructions you provided. I'm also going to update the OS from mint 17.3 to 18.1.

I bought the NUC6i3syk with Linux Mint 17.3 pre-installed from zareason.com, who have been very responsive to my questions so far about the freeze issue also and suggested the OS upgrade.

So here's my question now. After the BIOS and OS upgrades, if the system is still freezing, would I have to pursue the warranty replacement through Intel directory or would I send it back to zareason for the them to handle the warranty replacement?

THANK YOU!

Greg

• 13. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello tgoneil,

The Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK is sold without any RAM, SSD nor OS, if you got the item with a preinstalled OS, it means that it was customized by the vendor (Zareason), then you can contact them to check for any warranty status. In case they refuse to replace the item, then you can contact support to check for any warranty options, however; you may remove the SSD and the RAM that was preinstalled.

Hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                                  JC

• 14. Re: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?
                                    tgoneil

I tried updating the BIOS with the 'security jumper method' as you suggested.  The instructions said that after removing the jumper, inserting the usb flash drive with the bios update file and powering on, that the procedure would automatically happen with a subsequent power off less than 5 minutes later.

However, the instructions said NOTHING about the menu that would be presented to me:

20170413_161744.jpg

Which key am I supposed to press?  I did try pressing several, but it was unresponsive to all key presses.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next