10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 7:07 PM by Chezara

Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...

3KyNoX

Hello there,

Just get recently a brand new Dell XPS 15 9560 and bought an Thunderbolt/USB-C -> HDMI adapter yesterday.

Latest drivers have been installed from Dell / Intel officiel driver files to a Windows 10 LTSB x64.

Everything was working fine this morning and yesterday with the adapter and my attached screen but went down my office to drink a coffee, and when coming back to my desk, laptop was in sleep mode, I went out from the sleep mode and screen became black with no more luck to get it work back..

Restarted laptop, removed drivers and reinstalled it, tried to launch firmware upgrade but istallation replied :

ucvZoHX.png

From my device manager I get this :

q1OH5k8.png

Hzy5DmD.png

Some help required here, I really don't know what happened.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello 3KyNoX,

Please bear in mind that Intel sells products to various OEM’s (Original Equipment Manufacturers), who then integrate them, with other system components (power supplies, disk drives, add in cards, software, etc). These products may be customized to the OEM’s specifications. At this point your best contact support for your Dell system is with your computer manufacture as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

You should be able to get support here:
          http://www.dell.com/support/home/cr/es/crbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=1D9H4&fileId=3646714280&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9560-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

You can also try to get some help here:

Contact Us | Thunderbolt Technology Community

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Ivan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
            3KyNoX

Same exact problem : NUC6I7KYK THUNDERBOLT PROBLEMS?

Elaborate your answers Intel please ! It's not satisfaisant !

I'm not happy with the *no* solution provided, cf. Re: NUC6I7KYK THUNDERBOLT PROBLEMS?

• 3. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
              Intel Corporation

The issue at the other thread that I’m handling is related with the Intel® NUC, you have a Dell system, Dell should be able to provide you with better support as they know your system better than we do since they built it.

I’m not giving you a “no” solution, what I mean is that you will find a solution from your computer manufacturer.

Did you try contacting them by any chance?

Regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                3KyNoX

Following the previous posts, I did contact Dell Support.

After three weeks of remote laptop control and many actions around display / TB3 drivers, Dell support suggested me to re-install Windows (I did it already three times).

My answer was : It's not because I re-install Windows 10 times it will resolve the problem.

Status still the same, TB3 plugged screen works great on a minimalist fresh arch-linux install, but nothing more througth Windows.

I know I suggested another thread that face the *exact* same problem I have and it is on Intel NUC, the fact is we talk about TB3 in this thread, it looks like related to a driver problem, and the hardware is from Intel as well for me.

• 5. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                  Intel Corporation

Hello 3KyNoX,

I’m sorry that this issue still persists on your laptop computer; we have tested the TB3 plenty of times and it is working perfectly fine, the no active thunderbolt issue is because you need to have a software and thunderbolt device connected. The Thunderbolt driver is required if you plan to connect Thunderbolt devices.  

I sent you a private message.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 6. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                    Chezara

I too have been having this EXACT same issue with my Asus computer.  Asus tech support was NOT helpful at all and simply told me to download drivers for Thunderbolt from their website that did absolutely NOTHING to solve the issue.  I have tried multiple websites and asked for help from multiple people in determining how to fix this issue and still my monitor will NOT be recognized by the thunderbolt software on my computer.  If anyone has a solution I would be VERY  happy to hear it as I am truly frustrated.  I have display port to thunderbolt 3 cable that I am using at the moment to connect my monitor to my laptop.  When I plug it in, windows 10 will make that sound that says "you've plugged something in" however the thunderbolt software will not pop up like all the help articles say it should.  A friend of mine did some kind of work around to get it to function as a display, however he did not fix the thunderbolt issue.  My monitor CAN display up to 240hz refresh rate, but its locked at 120hz because the thunderbolt 3 port is not functioning at capacity i imagine.  Either way I am not geting the most out of this technology and I CANNOT fix this issue.  Please help!  Thank you!

• 7. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Chezara,

Please reply with the following information:
                      System model:
                      Processor model:
                      TV/monitor model:
                      Cable model that you use to connect the computer to the monitor:

Do you have the BIOS up to date?

Please bear in mind that your best contact support is with your system manufacturer and I understand that they did not help you but they should be able to help you as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Regards,

Ivan U.

• 8. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                        Chezara

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for responding to my issue.  I apologize but I am not sure how to find some of the info you are seeking  because I am not that knowlegeable computer-wise.  I can tell you that I own a BRAND new pc and the PC is the Zephyrus GX501VI-XS74.  I will do my best to fill in your blanks. 

System model:  I am guessing you mean what windows I use? I am not sure?  I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 or if you mean the model of the processor I know it was Kabylake

Processor model:  Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz)

Tv/Monitor model:  ASUS ROG PG258Q

BIOS up to date:  well heck I should hope so!  I literally just purchased this computer a few weeks ago BRAND NEW.  If something is not up to date THERE I would be rather disappointed, so I am going to say yes.

Cable to connect:  I have a "thunderbolt 3 to display port" cable.  The monitor only came with a displayport slot, and my laptop only has a thunderbolt 3 port.  However when I plugged it in, windows did that "you plugged something in" sound, however the thunderbolt software would NOT identify it.  When I tried to download any drivers or such that asus tech support suggested, nothing worked. 

Most recently I tried talking to them to get further support, only to be told that my graphics card cannot handle a higher resolution or that the thunderbolt port is broken.   These are the same tech support people that "guided" me to the wrong power adapter by telling me the wrong part number for it (costing me much money as I have already purchased 2 adapters before finding this out and had to return them), even directing me to their store which was the wrong adapter completely, even AFTER telling them the exact computer I had.  Asus has VERY poor tech support with people who are clearly inept at their job, which is why I am here, and very frustrated. 

I KNOW the thunderbolt port is capable of my display.  I do not have a 4k display that is only capable of 60hz. I have a 240hz display and currently i can ONLY get 120hz which is native on my laptop.  According to my very computer literate friend who fixes computers for a living, the port IS capable entirely of giving me full 240hz resolution, but he cannot figure out how to fix it because Thunderbolt 3 technology is just too new to him.  (it is like Bluetooth when it first came out.  most computers came with the basics for it but things just would not work properly).  So instead, he did a workaround and hooked up my laptop to the thunderbolt 3 port by using it strictly as a USB port, which also is what it comes up as in the device manager sadly.  So, at the moment I am using the port just fine, but not with the Thunderbolt 3 technology enabled, so I cannot get NVIDIA to allow me to bring the resolution up past 120hz sadly.  Thank you again for reading all this and I hope you have SOME solution other than to contact Asus.  I am thoroughly fed up with their support and am looking for someone with some know-how to fix this issue which I am sure is not that hard to fix.  Take care!

• 9. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                          Intel Corporation

Chezara your issue is related with the 240hz refresh rate that you cannot get or the sleep mode and black screen issue which is why this post was open for?

This issue that your report here is deferent issue, for you to get better support I strongly recommend creating a new post, you can create it here:
                          https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/nuc

Ivan U.

• 10. Re: Dell XPS 9560 - No active Thunderbolt(tm) controller found in the system ...
                            Chezara

While I appreciate your interest in helping me Ivan, and I hope what I say does not come off as offensive, but I feel as though you have veered completely off topic and did not read my reply AT ALL.  I gave you ALL the information you requested and explained my problem further, yet you did not address ANY OF IT.  I do NOT know if you simply have me confused with someone else but I in no way, shape or form did I mention a "black screen" or spoke at all about my computer having sleep issues.  Where in the WORLD did you gleam this information from my reply?  I certainly would like to know.  My topic is 100% related to THIS TOPIC.  The original poster had the EXACT same issue as myself, however a solution was dealt with privately with them and with their computer manufacturer, which I clearly stated did not work for me.  As far as the refresh rate issue goes, again, I clearly stated in my post that the reason I cannot get the proper refresh rate (as far as I know) is due to the fact I cannot use my thunderbolt port in the way it was intended.  Please respond to my post properly and not ask me to create a new post when the one that I did post is 100% relevant where it is right now.  You are simply frustrating me further and not making any sense whatsoever with your current post.  Thank you.