3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 2:10 AM by RonanB

How to speed up ISSM Build Time

RonanB

The build times for my projects take a long time, I'm working on a large project which takes 4-12 minutes to build after doing a clean, a non cleaned build will take 20s -4 minutes, other colleagues building the same project take alot less time, less then 2 minutes for the clean build(some even a few seconds on higher spec laptops). I'm on windows 10, 8GB of RAM and i5 processor so I think it should be this slow.

So is there anyway I can speed up this build time?

• 1. Re: How to speed up ISSM Build Time
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello RonanB,

Thanks for reaching out!

This behavior is not expected, hardware wise your PC sounds very well equipped for running ISSM, however, you may be using an old version of i5, which could be a factor that is limiting your build speed. If you'd like to check your CPU's generation you can go to your device manager under the processors tab, there you will be able to see your CPU's model number. For example mine is i5-3360M which means that I'm using a third generation i5, the key is the first number. So, in my opinion, if you are on a fourth generation or above, you will be able to work without any issues, but third generation or below may struggle a little bit (this is my opinion, and it is based on my experiences alone, please don't take this as an "official minimum requirement").

If you believe hardware should not be limiting you in any way, then, there might be something strange on your OS. In that case, if it is possible, I would suggest you to perform a fresh install on your PC to see if this helps. Another thing that you could try is asking your colleagues if they tried anything not mentioned in the ISSM install guide in order to help them boost the build time of their projects. I believe if you are following the guide (https://software.intel.com/en-us/issm-2016-user-ref-guide) you should not have any issues, so, I would suggest you to check your PC's hardware or software to see if there is any factor that could be limiting you.

I hope this information helps you,
          Pedro M.

• 2. Re: How to speed up ISSM Build Time
            SergeyK

Short answer: Check your antivirus settings, or use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04/64-bit) host instead :-)

Long answer:

The build process calls multiple executable files (make, MinGW utilities, compiler, linker, and so on). Some antiviruses will scan each executable file at the time it is executed, which will result in hundreds of scans during a single build.

You might try adding the C:\IntelSWTools\ISSM_2016.1.067 and your workspace to the list of excluded directories... Here is an article on the topic: http://ardalis.com/speed-up-visual-studio-build-times

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to speed up ISSM Build Time
              RonanB

In the end I decided to reinstall ISSM and change from avast to just windows defender as my antivirus, I had the exclusions in avast but it didn't speed it up too much but it does seem faster now(rebuilds are usually less than 20s and clean builds less than 5 minutes) using windows defender with the same exclusions. I'm not going to do a fresh install of the OS because it would be too much hassle reinstalling all of the softwares.

But thanks Pedro and Sergey for the help