8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 11:20 AM by Intel Corporation

Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT

Venaci

I have an Alcatel Idol 4. I've done everything by instructions I could find, and have been unable to have the Edison detect my phone, during either when I use the Android OS manager (on version 6.0.1) or even using an external bluetooth manager I tried that was recommended.

I've also done the command to make the Edison discoverable, but my phone won't see the Edison. I've tested the bluetooth by turning on a BT Speaker, which both recognized at the same time. They just refuse to see each other.

I plan to use my phone for receiving bluetooth data for a project I'm working on, but can't even figure out how to get it paired.
      I also tried to connect a Bluetooth Module (I believe the HC-05), but the instructions for using it on the RPi do not work (lists files not present on the Edison), so I have no clue how to get it working, since I'm relatively a Linux novice... and I would PREFER to save some power (and GPIOs) by using the on-board BT as well.

I'm trying to so a RoadTest type thing for Element14, but am pretty much stuck at this hurdle in my software development... and I can't continue the hardware development aspect for a week or two.
      If anyone can help with getting my phone paired, I'd appreciate it.... else, at least I'd hope fora way to use an external module on this system.

One issues I've heard of that I'm not sure is relative, is that some device developers will block their devices from seeing/pairing a device with an ID of 0x00, but I don't know if the Edison or my phone does.... and if I could do anything to circumvent it, which is why I decided to use the module. I also figured I could change the Edison's BT ID, as I believe I've done that on the RPi years ago... but IDR how.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Venaci,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison™ Platform.

I actually handle a thread a few months ago, where a user couldn't pair his Android phone to the Edison (Re: Mobile Device to Intel Edison Bluetooth ). We came to a conclusion that this issue is due to the version of the BlueZ library, you can update this library by following the steps in this thread Re: Bluetooth SPP Edison to PC .

Hope this helps, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
            Venaci

Thanks for the response.

I followed the instructions listed there, and tried to scan again. It still did not find it, so I rebooted.
            I unblocked Bluetooth and tried again, they still don't see each other.

What Default-Agent should I set to default if I plan to use this for serial to my phone? Would that change if they are visible to each other?

Thanks for your time. If you get me the right answer, I'll also link to the answer on the question in Element14, which still remains unanswered (more feedback for people to find it helpful). I also hope Intel will sticky the answer or pin it, until they fix whatever the issue is.

• 3. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
              Intel Corporation

Hi Venaci,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your Bluetooth connection. Could you be so kind to provide me the steps that you are following in order to connect your phone. This in order to replicate your issue.

Also an Intel Support agent tried this guide How to run SPP-loopback.py on Edison  with the 5.22 version of BlueZ and it worked for him (edison C++ bluetooth SPP system call ). Maybe it will be useful to you.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose P.

• 4. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
                Venaci

Before moving further,, could you please respond to my question on if the type of agent would affect if they detect each other? Thanks!

For the instructions, I'm following the instructions here, even after the update. I've done the instructions you've sent me too (before the Bluez update), but it never would show my phone on the scan list, either way. The issue was not getting it paired, but getting them detected to begin with.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Venaci,

I apologize for not answering your question.

Now, regarding if the type of agent would affect if they detect each other. To be honest, I have only used the default-agent, if you are interested in knowing more about this I would encourage to contact the BlueZ developers BlueZ » Contact . Nevertheless, I did my own investigation and found this link 16.04 - bluetoothctl - What is a bluetooth agent? - Ask Ubuntu  where it explains that the agent is what manages the Bluetooth pairing code.

That said, since you are following the steps that I provided in the threads that I shared, could you be so kind to first follow this guide How to run SPP-loopback.py on Edison  and let me know your results.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                  -Jose P.

• 6. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Venaci,

Were you able to pair your phone to the Edison? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                    -Jose P.

• 7. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
                      Venaci

I have not worked on the BT side of the project since my last post as is it looks like it would be redundant to follow the instructions, at least to my understanding of them. The instructions for SPP-Loopback.py indicate to pair the phone before running the script. The issue is not Pairing, but that neither sees the other as a device as something it can interface with. I had even run connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX with the address of my phone listed in my Android Settings (tried both, the MAC and BT address). Making the phone discoverable just does not show it on a scan.

I'm presuming they refuse to acknowledge each other either because:
                      1) Hardware/Address conflicts: Either the 0x00 device exception or something else, or;
                      2) Neither wants to acknowledge the other as a MASTER device, so they omit each other from the scan list.

I'm not sure that I tried "Agent DisplayYesNo" since I did the update, but I tried before. Again, it sees and pairs with a BT speaker, so I know the BT works. I have a deadline to meet for having things together for a Panel at a convention this weekend, which I'm using the Edison for, so while I may come back and try different agents again later since I updated Bluez (and thanks for that instruction, by the way!), I feel my development time needs to be channeled towards something I know I can present at a convention for Robotics controllers. It would be great to have this working for that, but a bird in the hand.....

It just seems it's something developers of Linux and/or the Arduino BT soft/firmware need to look into a streamline....
                      Hopefully it will be either fixed, or someone else will shine light on it, by the time I make it back to that.
                      Thanks for your time!

• 8. Re: Edison BT not pairing / Installing external BT
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Venaci,

I understand your situation! If I were in your position I would probably also choose something that I'm familiar with.

Please don't hesitate to come back to the community if any questions come up, we will be happy to help you!

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
                        -Jose P.