1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2017 12:58 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially

tugboat05

I have a number of NUC5i5RYH units, these operate headless - however, if I need to see what is on the console I can plug in a mini-HDMI cable and see what is on the screen.

I recently purchased a NUC7i3BNH. What I have found is that unless there is an HDMI monitor plugged into the unit at initial boot time there is no HDMI output. Is there anyway to configure the BIOS so that the output will be sent to the HDMI output even when the HDMI is unplugged initially?

I have tried setting the BIOS parameter for the display to 'HDMI' (the default is 'auto'), however this makes no difference.

The fact that the HDMI is not plugged in at power on has no effect on the unit working. It boots correctly, runs the installed software, etc. It is just that I can't plug a monitor in and look at the console when I need to at some later time.

My test procedure is this:

1. Unplug all bootable media from the NUC.

2. Power the NUC on with an HDMI monitor attached. The BIOS attempts the PXE boot and then stops with the message about no boot media - all this is visible on the monitor.

3. Power the NUC off.

4. Unplug the HDMI cable from the NUC.

5. Power the NUC on (no HDMI monitor attached).

6. Wait long enough for the BIOS to perform the boot attempts. The plug in the HDMI cable - there is no display on the monitor (which goes into 'power saving' mode).

BIOS Version:

BNKBL357.86A.0036.2017.0105.1112

I have tested this with a number of HDMI monitors, old and new and the outcome is the same. I have also tried two NUCs, with the same result each time.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
          ytsejam1138

I just tried this with my NUC7i3BNH and mine works fine.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

I shutdown the NUC

Unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the NUC

Turned the NUC back on and waited 30 seconds

Plugged the HDMI cable back and my monitor came on and showed the Windows 10 login screen.

There is a recent BIOS update to Version 0042 - BNKBL357.86A.0042.2017.0303.1854 you might want to try.  However, I didn't see anything in the release notes that would fix what you are experiencing.  My BIOS is also running mostly default settings.  I have gone in and tweaked the LED lights a bit.  If there is a setting you would like me to check, let me know.

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
            tugboat05

I am not surprised that it works with Windows. I assume that the Windows drivers are doing all sorts of things, like detecting monitors being plugged in etc.

My problem is that it doesn't work in the BIOS, and it doesn't work with ESXi installed and running either. I didn't mention ESXi in my original post, because it only serves to complicate the story for no practical benefit. The issue is completely reproducible in the BIOS.

I will try the updated BIOS, one never knows whether the release notes are a complete list of the changes.

This is actually a real pain in the neck, because the whole point of headless systems is that there is no monitor plugged in. Yet when one needs to diagnose some problem you are stuck with no way to do this...

Tim

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
              ytsejam1138

I have now replicated your issue.  I booted the NUC without the HDMI connected and pressed F2 on the keyboard to get to BIOS and then hooked up the HDMI cable to see if the monitor comes up with the BIOS screen, it does not all I get is a black screen.   FYI, one difference between our two environments is that my SSD drives are still installed.

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ytsejam1138,

Try with different remote access software, such as Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection* or 2X RDP Client*. This workaround has been tested and verified to work successfully.

Uninstall the Intel® Graphics Driver from the Intel NUC and use the basic Windows* graphics driver instead.
                Plug an Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) emulator into a graphics port on the Intel NUC. Some customers have reported success with devices like Fit-Headless*, VGA Dummy*, or Dr. HDMI*.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                  tugboat05

Thanks,

At least the issue is now independently verified - thank you for taking time to do this.

I don't think that the SSD being installed or not matters - as your tests showed.

I also have a non-bootable HDD in my NUC and it doesn't make any difference.

I have updated to BIOS 0042 and the situation is still exactly the same. So there are no 'undocumented' changes in 0042 that relate to this issue.

Tim

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                    Intel Corporation

So, if you connect this unit directly to a monitor you don’t have video output either?

Just to be clear, does this happen to more than one unit you have with this specific model, correct?

is there an operating system installed?

Please let me know.

Ivan

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                      tugboat05

Hello Ivan,

The problem is this: you place the NUC on the bench, connect a power supply and keyboard, then turn the unit on. There is nothing connected to the HDMI connector on the NUC. Press F2 to select the BIOS. Wait for one minute or two.

Now plug in the HDMI cable.

The monitor is blank, there is no display, you cannot see the BIOS screen.

I have tried this with two (2) NUC7i3BNH and ytsejam1138  confirms it is the same with his unit (see reply '3.' above).

To demonstrate this you don't need an operating system.

Taking ytsejam1138 comments into account it sounds like if you have Windows 10 installed then once Windows 10 is running the HDMI will work if plugged in (see reply '1'.). In my case I am running ESXi 6.0.0 and the HDMI output never works after the unit is powered on with the HDMI connection unplugged.

Tim

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information and for kindly clear to me what the issue is.

I was able to replicate this issue, I unplug the HDMI cable, turn on the unit and I access the BIOS by pressing F2, then I plugged the HDMI back on and I did not get any video output.

We will further investigate on this issue and once we get an answer we will post it here.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 9. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                          rguevara

Hello All,

The issue that you are reporting is most likely what a would call a "handshake issue" which is the process of each device recognizing each other and determining that they are both authorized to transport this high quality digital signal.  This process is repeated constantly while the digital signal is being sent over the HDMI connection.  If for some reason the HDMI handshake is not successful, the signals are blocked and the video or audio stops until the HDMI handshake is successful. This process is also handled by the Graphics Driver.

If this issue is not exhibited while running Windows* 10 but it is there when running ESXi 6.0.0, I would definitely say that this is a driver limitation on the ESXi side. It is okay to have this Operating System running on a NUC but we have not validated it and therefore we don’t provide specific drivers for it.

Regards,

Ronny G

• 10. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                            TMASHP

I can confirm that this issue also happens on Skullcanyon NUCi7KYK over hdmi, my guess is that it is an issue with the internal DP to HDMI converter, as it works well with display port.

• 11. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                              cimbrum

Hi all!

Just bought today this NUC model and I have the same issue: I installed a brand new Hyper X 4 GB RAM module and the hard disk from my laptop. Then boot up the unit but my LG TV says ”No signal. Check input connection". First of all I thought there's something wrong with the HDD. Then tried with other 2 hard disks. Same issue.

Also into the NUC I connected 2 USB receivers both for keyboard and mouse and the network cable.

The worst thing is that I can't install any operating system onto this brand NEW NUC! And just paid a lot of money for it.

So, how can I solve this issue? Intel, please give me a solution because time is running out and I can't return it over 10 days.

• 12. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                                N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, as you power on the unit, do you see the LED in the power button flash? If you do, it is likely flashing three times and this will indicate that there is an issue with DRAM initialization. In this case, what we need to know is more about the DIMM that you purchased (i.e. its full part number)?

If the LED is coming on solid, then there is an issue with the HDMI connection or with the support of the TV (though I doubt it is the latter). This can be the result of the pedigree of the HDMI cable. You can't just use any old HDMI cable. Did you purchase a proper, HDMI 2.0-compliant cable? If not, I suggest that you do.

If the HDMI cable is good, next thing to try is a recovery power on. If the unit is currently powered on, hold the power button for a full 4 seconds and it will be completely powered off. Next, power on the unit, holding the power button down for a full 3 seconds before releasing. In this case, you should see the monitor initialize and a recovery menu appear. Use F2 from this menu to get into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 13. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                                  cimbrum

Thanks for your reply!

First: the LED is solid blue and I can hear the HDD sound.

Second: I'm using an HDMI cable that came with my daughter's Raspberry Pi 3. I don't know if it's a 2.0 or other kind. How can I check this?

• 14. Re: NUC7i3BNH no HDMI output unless HDMI plugged initially
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

If it came with a Pi3, it's likely only HDMI 1.4a compliant. Look on the cable itself for writing. You should see HDMI 2.0 or 18Gbps or something like High-Speed or (better) High-Speed with Ethernet. Here is a good quality one: Amazon.com: Netwe High-Speed HDMI Cable 6 Feet.

...S

1 2 Previous Next