8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 5:22 PM by Intel Corporation

Audio jack plug

MountainWalker

I have just aquired a NUC5i5RYK.  According to the spec the audio socket (headphones+speakers) takes a 3.5 mm jack plug.  But the socket is not deep enough to take a standard jack which has a shaft ~14mm long.  This is also true for the two-way (mic + headphone) jack that I bought to try.  The socket is only ~9mm deep and a standard jack will not work.  Is there a special type of jack I need to get - what is it called and where can I get one.   Thanks.

• 1. Re: Audio jack plug
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

To answer your inquiry, in this case the best thing to do will be to purchase an adapter to convert from 3.5mm to 14mm, that way you to be able to use the devices that work with that type of audio jack. 

On the following link, you will find an option to get that adapter, that is just a suggestion since there are a lot of different adapters and sites where you will be able to purchase it:

http://www.trianglecables.com/product/1-4-IN-Stereo-Jack-to-3-5mm-Stereo-Plug.aspx

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Audio jack plug
            MountainWalker

Hi thanks for response but does not seem to answer the query.   No 1/4 in stereo jack is involved, neither do I need to convert from 3.5mm to 14 mm.  The point is that the audio socket will not accomodate a stanadard 3.5mm plug which has the standard shaft length of 14mm.  It can only accomodate something that is 9mm long.  I have not seen anything that might do this - maybe its a US plug?

Regards,

Martin

• 3. Re: Audio jack plug
              MountainWalker

I have measured the depth of the audio socket again (with a thin piece of card) and now get it to 14 mm. I've also taken the base off and measured up the audio plug against the socket unit  and it looks as though it should fit.  I have tried a good deal of force to get the 3.5mm audio jack to click home but I'm reluctant to push too hard in case I break it.  I could be that the socket unit is defective. 

Regards, Martin

• 4. Re: Audio jack plug
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing those details, we really appreciate that.

To answer your question, on the TPS (Technical Product Specification) of the NUC it shows that the audio jack supports 4-Pin 3.5 mm (1/8 inch) audio jack pin out devices, please check page 26:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec.pdf

So, if that is the connector you are using, then yes, it should work with the NUC, and if it is not working then there could be a problem with the audio jack of the NUC itself, there is no need to push it too hard because as you mentioned it could get broken.

If the same problem is still happening, then please provide a picture of the device you are using to check the type of connector it has.

Do you have the option to test the audio jack port on the NUC with a different device?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Audio jack plug
                  MountainWalker

Hi thanks for your interest and efforts with this query _ I attach a few photos.  One shows the plug against a ruler , another shows the plug inserted as far as it will go  (I have already applied more force than I normally would) and another shows it against the NUC with the base removed and over the socket unit to show that it is indeed the right length (the central contact appears to be right at the end on that unit).  Of course I could use more force and it might eventually go in- but I might  bust the socket and do worse inside the computer. Thanks,

Martin.20170330_195756_s.jpg20170330_200456_s.jpg20170328_184618_s.jpg

• 6. Re: Audio jack plug
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for sharing those pictures.

Just to confirm, the audio jack on your device should fit the NUC, but please do not use more force in trying to insert it, because as you mentioned the NUC might get damage.

It seems to be there could be a problem with the case on the NUC, so at this point the best thing to do will be to replace it.

If you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@5

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Audio jack plug
                      MountainWalker

Hi Alberto -

thanks for that advice.   I have already set the machine up and it I'm very happy with the rest of it.  It would be a pain to replace it now so I think the best workaround for me will a small bluetooth speaker - with a aux socket so I can use headphones.  Thanks for taking the troube to reply to my post.

Regards,

Martin

• 8. Re: Audio jack plug
                        Intel Corporation

You are welcome.

Sure, thank you very much for letting us know that information, to use a bluetooth speaker is a pretty good work around and we are glad to hear you can use the headphones that way.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,
                        Alberto