8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 3:10 PM by Intel Corporation

Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)

Appiah

When I turn on my computer, this is what I see

after logo.JPG

When I enter Configuration Utilities, this is what I see

config.DSC01569.JPG

I have run the Diagnostics and it says everything is working fine - no problem with any of the hardware. Some think the problem has to do with RAID. Perhaps the RAID on my computer failed, or something. I would appreciate any comment on my problem. For instance how to go about fixing the RAID problem or whatever issue might be happening with the computer.

FYI: I have not lost anything on the computer yet. The only problem I seem to be experiencing are occasional freezes and slowness.

• 1. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Appiah,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

First of all, back up all the information you need to avoid losing of data.

Try installing the latest Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

You can also try updating you system BIOS and the chipset driver, you should be able to access the website from your system manufacturer and update these drivers.

Also, make sure that you are using an operating system that is supported by your system, if that not so, this type of errors can occur.

Right now your system has not failed, is an error that your get, the volume and the SSDs are ok just try to update the BIOS, IRST and chipset to see the result.

You can also access the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and click “mark as normal”.

I hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
            Appiah

Thanks a bunch for the great response. I am going to follow your recommendations.

• 3. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
              Intel Corporation

You are more than welcome!

Please keep us posted how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 5. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                  Appiah

Thanks so much for the follow-up. Unfortunately the short answer is NO. I still have the problem.

This is what I have done so far.

1. I followed the link above - Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

2. I downloaded the required RAID driver

3. The instructions said to perform F6 and RAID BIOS configurations prior to installation of this driver for proper operation.

4. To perform item 3, I went here - Configure RAID Controller in the BIOS Setup Utility

and I was set to follow the following steps.....

procedure icon  Configure RAID Controller in BIOS

1. Reboot the server and press F2 when the Sun Logo appears.

The BIOS Setup utility dialog appears.

2. In the BIOS Setup utility dialog, select Advanced --> IDE Configuration.

The IDE Configuration menu appears.

3. In the IDE Configuration menu, select Configure SATA AS, then press Enter.

A menu appears listing the SATA options: IDE, RAID, and AHCI. AHCI is set by default.

4. In the SATA Options menu, select RAID, then press Enter.

5. Press F10 to save your changes, exit the BIOS utility, and reboot the server.

6. While the server is rebooting, press <Ctrl-I> to access the RAID configuration.

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM dialog appears.

7. In the main menu of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM dialog, select (1) Create RAID Volume, then press Enter.

The Create RAID Volume menu appears.

8. In the Create RAID Volume menu, do the following:

a. Provide a name for the RAID volume and press Enter, or press Enter to accept the default name.

b. Select either RAID 1 (Mirror) or RAID 0 (Stripe) as the RAID level, then press Enter.

Use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the available RAID level values.

c. Specify the volume capacity and press Enter, or press Enter to accept the default volume capacity.

d. Select Create Volume, then press Enter.

A warning message appears stating that all data could be lost. Are you sure you want to create this volume? Y or N.

e. In the warning message press Y to confirm the volume creation.

The new RAID volume is created. Information describing the RAID volume appears (for example, the RAID ID, Volume Name, Level, Status).

9. Select EXIT and press Enter to exit the Intel Matrix Storage Manager utility.

A confirmation message appears confirming that you want to exit the Intel Matrix Storage Manager utility.

10. In the confirmation message, press Y to confirm the exit.

However when I reached step 7 above I got stuck. The computer keeps returning this message to me: "Not enough available space to create a volume". Even after emptying the disk of most of my stuff and making plenty of space available I still keep getting the same message. So, that is where I am now.

• 6. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                    Intel Corporation

Please check this post:
                    How do I defeat "Not enough space to create a volume"?

Are you using different HDDs from different vendors?
                    Most likely it's due to HDDs from different vendors have slight difference in capacity, even though the claimed capacity is same. Solutions could be:
                    1. Use HDDs with same vendor/model, or
                    2. Use a larger HDD, or
                    3. Perform a full backup, re-create the RAID from scratch, and restore the data.

I’m sorry if I couldn’t be much of a help here.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 7. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                      Appiah

I am going to try using option 2 - larger HDD - tomorrow, and will report back about the outcome. Thanks once again for your continuing interest.

• 8. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                        Intel Corporation

You are more than welcome!

Please keep us posted how it goes.

Ivan.

• 9. Re: Physical Devices Error Occurred (0)
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.