2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2017 2:21 AM by Moonswalker

H170 chipset and 2400MHz RAM

Moonswalker

Can I use with motherboard H170 chipset RAM with 2400MHz speed?

In specifications of this chipset not says about RAM speed.

Only in CPU specification says about support RAM speed: 6th generation 2133MHz, 7th generation 2133\2400MHz.

Now I use CPU I3-6300, but think to change on I5-7500.

Ram: TEAM 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz, now working on 2133MHz. Want make work on 2400MHz.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H170-D3H with latest BIOS F21

• 1. Re: H170 chipset and 2400MHz RAM
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the memory controllers are in the processor, so the speed of the RAM has absolutely nothing to do with what chipset is actually present. This has been the case since the introduction of the first generation Core processors seven years ago.

The Core i3-6300 and Core i5-7500 processors should both be able to support the use of 2400GHz memory. You need to understand that, when you enable the XMP profile for the DIMMs, you technically are overclocking a portion of the processor and this could, at times, cause you to see slightly higher processor temperatures and it could, in theory, shorten the lifetime of your processor (I wouldn't worry about this, however; Intel rates things very conservatively).

Ok, all of that said, the most important thing you need to look at is the motherboard. The motherboard must be designed to support the higher clock speeds on the memory buses and the components used on the motherboard must be of sufficient quality to support the higher clock speeds. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible to have a motherboard that is designed for the higher clock speeds but the particular board is never able to consistently achieve these speeds. The solution must be able to suppress component noise on the bus and from components around it. Unfortunately, even a single poor-quality or poorly-operating decoupling capacitor or termination resistor (or oth4er component), costing a tiny fraction of a cent (or peso or frank or pound, whatever your country's currency), could cause the solution to not work - and worse, this could happen randomly.

I realize that this all sounds a little doom and gloomy. In most cases, no issues will occur and it will work just fine for you (well, presuming the motherboard is properly designed to support it). It's just that there could be the odd motherboard out there that, even though designed to support it, has component issues and will never be able to consistently achieve the clock speeds you want.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: H170 chipset and 2400MHz RAM
            Moonswalker

I overcocked my notebook on I5-3210m and 1866MHz RAM   - now work 3d year fine

Maybe need ask in Gigabyte suport, how will be work motherboard witn new CPU and Higher speed RAM?

Because now any RAM work only max in 2133MHz speed.. for 6th generation CPU its maximum, but for 7th....