1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 5:11 PM by Intel Corporation

Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?

tgoneil

I have mint17.3 installed and it takes 48 seconds to boot to the login screen on my NUC6i3SYK. By comparison, Windows 7 running in virtual box vm in the same machine takes only 15 seconds to boot to the login screen.

Is this common? Any way to shorten the host boot time? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
          lw1948

Hello tgoneil

Disable network boot in bios settings.

Leon

• 2. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
            tgoneil

Thank you for the suggestion Leon, but I can't get the setting to boot to the internal SSD to persist. It takes most of the boot time (30-35 seconds) just to reach the F2,F7,F10 choices before the boot sequence finishes. Selecting the SSD then takes another 12-15 seconds to finally reach the login screen. The settings menu shows boot priority to Legacy Boot with the internal SSD first choice.  Details in the image below.

Screenshot from 2017-03-25 19:33:36.png

• 3. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
              lw1948

Hello tgoneil

1. From your image I see that you are working with legacy boot and the UEFI boot is disabled.

2. Try to do the following change:

2.1 enter bios setting and press F9 to set bios defaults

2.2 enable UEFI boot and disable the legacy boot (mint 17.3 shall work with UEFI boot)

2.3 disable Network boot.

2.4 verify that the Secure Boot is not enabled

2.5 press F10 to save changes and exit to O.S.

3. See the attached images.

Hope this will help

Leon

• 4. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for the suggestions provided above.

To :

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your inquiry, the steps provided previously are very useful, besides trying those steps another option to shorten the boot time will be to enable “fast boot”, you can see that option under the “boot configuration” tab.

Please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 5. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                  lw1948

Hello Alberto

In my opinion "Fast Boot" function doesn't shorten the boot time like it would be expected.  It should be noted that when this function is activated, the F2, F7 and F10 menu is no longer displayed and is more difficult to enter bios setting.

Regards

Leon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                    tgoneil

lw1948

Thanks for hanging in there with me Leon and sorry for the delay.

When you said to press F9, did you mean F7 to set bios defaults? When I pressed F7, I got this screen. Clicking on the choices didn't do anything. Screenshot from 2017-03-28 10:59:48.png

When it rebooted and I pressed F2 to enable UEFI boot, the screen showed there was no UEFI boot drive:

Screenshot from 2017-03-28 11:00:21.png

My operating system is Linux Mint.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

• 7. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                      tgoneil

The reason I've been needing to boot frequently is because every few days (more frequently, lately) the NUC freezes (mouse arrow is stuck and keyboard is unresponsive). This forces me to do a reboot by holding down the power key several seconds until it turns off. SO ANNOYING! Then I came across this article Skylake bug causes Intel chips to freeze under 'complex workloads' - ExtremeTech

It acknowledges the tendency for the chip to freeze. The recommended work around in the article is to disable hyper-threading. How do I do that?

I started a new thread about this: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?

• 8. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello:

Once again thank you very much to for the information provided above.

To :

Thank you very much for providing those details.

At this point, we will try to find out the source of the problem and try isolate the issue.

Based on that, by any chance do you have the option to test another live version of any other operating system, this is just to rule out a possible problem with Linux Mint itself.

And the same thing with the hard drive, do you have the option to test the NUC with a different hard drive/SSD?

The steps above are provided in order to try to identify if the NUC getting freeze is a problem maybe with the NUC itself.

What is the model of the memory RAM you are using? This is in order for us to verify the specifications of it, to make sure it is fully compatible, you will find a part number for it on the stick itself.

Please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                          lw1948

Hello tgoneil

1. I really meant to press F9 to set BIOS defaults. Pressing F7 will bring you to BIOS update (and this is on your attached image where I see your HD and your external disk). So press F9 to set bios default and F10 to save the setting and exit from bios to O.S.

2. For some reason your SSD Samsung 850 EVO is not visible on the boot menu, so is not visible in Bios. I understand that this is drive installed in M.2 slot.  Please remove it from its slot end reinstall again. Take care that  that the drive sits correctly in the M.2 slot and the holding screw is fastened.

3. After reinstalling your SSD, enter Bios and look if your SSD is recognized and the M.2 slot is enabled.  See the attached images from my NUC. Yours shall looks similar except that your drive is not and NVMe rather SATA drive.

4. If your drive will be visible, disable the network boot and continue to O.S.

Leon

• 10. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                            Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to for the comments above.

To :

Please try the suggestions provided on the last 2 posts and let us know the results.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                              tgoneil

I tried pressing F9, and even repeatedly pressed it up and down after boot, but the nuc didn't recognize F9 and continued on with the boot process. Tried this twice and started tapping F9 immediately after a pressing the power button to start it.

At this point, I think it's prudent to upgrade to the host OS from mint 17.3 to 18.1. Meanwhile, I've disabled hyperthreading, per the directions from the 'freeze' issue thread I started separately: How do I disable hyper-threading on the NUC6i3SYK?

After disabling hyper-threading, I was able to start both virtualbox vms and they are running together simultaneously as before. So now I wonder about the benefit of hyper-threading.

We'll see if this work around resolves the freeze issue, or if it happens again.

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen!

Greg

• 12. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                                lw1948

I was not clear enough.  Sorry for this. During boot process when you see the Intel logo, in the bottom right corner you will see F2, F7,F10 menu.  Press F2 to enter Bios setting then press F9 to set Bios default settings.  Now you can disable  the network boot. Press F10 to save settings and exit.

Regards

Leon

• 13. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                                  tgoneil

Thanks for clarifying F9 after F2. I do now have network boot bypassed. Thank you Leon.

Greg

• 14. Re: Any way to shorten the boot time for NUC6i3syk?
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you to  , we really appreciate all the suggestions provided on this thread.

To :

Excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to access the BIOS and now the network boot is bypassed.

In regard to your question, the Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology delivers two processing threads per physical core. So highly threaded applications can get more work done in parallel, completing tasks sooner, so that is a really helpful feature

Also, I just wanted to confirm if the problem with the NUC getting freeze got resolved or if it still persists?

Regards

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next