0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 6:17 PM by TimsTips

Problems with audio - microphone....generic driver?

Microphones should be 'plug and play" with windows operating systems.

Obviously, make sure that the pink plug is plugged into the pink receptacle ot the receptacle with the microphone picture.

Some computers have a microphone built into the monitor and this will need to be unpluuged and the new microphone plugged in its place. The green position/receptacle is for your main speakers. The blue slot/receptacle is for additional speakers.

Some monitors have a receptacle which is for head phones and desk tops have a receptacle in the front, also generally for headphones only.

So if it is plugged in correctly: 1) click on start 2) click on all programs 3) click on accessories near the top of the list 4) click on entertainment 5) click on recorder 6) click on red record button (lasts 1 minute) 7) speak into microphone - do you get any wiggly lines indicating sound waves are being received? If no there are two main reasons for this:

Reason 1: (simplest fix) check your microphone level and also make sure mute is not checked: Use the recorder and set sound levels or

1.)   click on start  2. )  click on control panel  3.) click on  sounds and audio devices 4) make sure device volume is slid to right near high and make sure mute box is NOT checked. 5)  click on  audio or voice tabs (either does the same) 6.) click on volume button under the microphone symbol 7.) Set microphone volume to high - make sure it isn't muted. (Note: if was set ok then this isn't the problem, if you had to make some changes, however, go back and try to record and speak into your microphone - is it picking up sound now?

While you are looking at the "sounds and audio devices" write down the name of the driver in the sound playback and sound record boxes under the audio and voice tabs. (Note; Generally, they should all be the same driver) This information is important when addressing reason 2.

Reason 2;: (more involved solution but may be necessary to get microphone to get sound card to work with microphone)  The driver (software instructions) that controls how your computer processes sound may be "GENERIC", may be corrupted, or an update could have changed its original confiiguration. Determine what brand of computer that you have. Do you have the original disk the manufacture supllied with it - Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc. If you bought your computer second hand you may not have this disc. If you have the disc you can un-install the current sound & audio driver and re-install the driver found on the installation disc.  If the driver has been updated you can have the computer revert back to the original/previous version - provided you know the microphone worked with that version.  If you have the intel (r) 82801 BA/BAM AC 97 Audio Controller driver listed on your system then you have a generic driver. Some web sites offer it as a download, but it was not intended to be used in its generic form as Intel does not support it for the public or provide upgrades. It is generic because it is sold to the computer companies for their systems - such as Dell, Compaq, IBM etc. Each company modifies the generic version to work within their configurations and with windows. So if you have a generic version of a driver, such as the one listed above it is best to go to your manufacturer's web site and download their brand name of the sound & audio driver. After you have downloaded it to a folder & know where it is 1) uninstall your generic driver & 2) install the brandname driver. Then check to see if your voice recorder will pick-up sound from the microphone & record it.

In my situation, I have a Dell (9 years old - 2001 desk top model) so I uninstalled the Intel (r) 82801 & replaced it with Dell's proprietary version called "Sound Max digital Audio". Each company has their own unique name for the audio software that drives the sound board/card hardware in your computer. when you go back through the steps above you will see that the name of the new driver has replaced the driver with the issue. Note: Some sites may actually up-grade the generic driver and offer it as a download, but I believe you are exposing yourself to viruses and limited support in the future should they go south so to speak.

Hint: when downloading drivers, or before removing them save them to a disc or USB flash device incase you ever need to reinstall them, i.e. driver becomes corrupted or non-responsive.

Steps to un-install sound & audio drivers: 1) follw the steps above through step 3 - click on sound and audio devices 2) click on the Hardware Tab 3)  Highlight the driver, i.e. intel (r) 82801 you want un-install 4) click on properties button 5) when box opens make sure it list the driver you intend to uninstall 6) click on drivers tab 7) look at the buttons in the list - update,  roll-back driver (reverts back to previous edition discussed above) and un-install. Only un-install when you are ready to install another driver that will replace it and/or have saved it to your hard drive or a Disc/USB.

Good luck - this fixed my audio problem and now microphones work with my system.

TimsTips

Give Kudos