9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 1:54 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading

DariusL

When I attempt to upload the example code (blink) to the Edison board, the Intel iot system studio comes up with an error:

"The program file specified in the launch configuration does not exist

C:\workspace\On_Board_LED_Blink\Debug\On_Board_LED_Blink not found"

There is also an error in the build console, which reads:

19:30:42 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project On_Board_LED_Blink ****

Info: Internal Builder is used for build

docker exec -i 8d4cd465312d8467e61082997e25391de2f7de2f2282fd23bf7caeebb651f53b /bin/bash -c "cd /workspace/On_Board_LED_Blink/Debug && i586-poky-linux-g++ -I/usr/include/upm -I/usr/include/mraa -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 --sysroot= -m32 -march=i586 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -o src/blink.o ../src/blink.cpp"

time="2017-03-24T19:30:42-04:00" level=info msg="Unable to use system certificate pool: crypto/x509: system root pool is not available on Windows"

/bin/bash: line 0: cd: /workspace/On_Board_LED_Blink/Debug: No such file or directory

19:30:42 Build Finished (took 277ms)

I think the first error is caused by the second because if it can't create (or save rather) the compiled file, that would explain why the ide can't find it. I have tried executing the command line "cd /workspace/On_Board_LED_Blink/Debug", which comes up with an error because that is not the actual work space. Any ideas how to fix this, or could it be a different problem entirely?

I have already read and tried what is in these posts to no avail.

c++ - The program file specified in the launch configuration does not exist - Stack Overflow

c++ - Eclipse SDL build error: "The program specified in the launch configuration does not exist" - Stack Overflow

I have attached a screenshot of the error below.

• 1. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Darius,

Thank you for reaching out, I would like to have some more information about your issue and current configuration.

1. Could you please tell me which OS you’re using? Also, which Edison image are you using?
          2. Is this the first time you try to use Intel System Studio to control your Edison board? Were you able to use it in the past?
          3. Have you tried uploading a different program instead of the Blink example?
          4. Could you share the instructions you used to set Intel System Studio on your computer? I would like to replicate the issue, if possible.
          I would also suggest you to check this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/96830. It talks about a similar issue to the one you’re now experiencing.

Regards,
          Pablo M.
          • 2. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
            DariusL

Thank you for the response.

I am currently using Windows (10), and although I do have a Linux computer, I have been having difficulty installing the ide on it.

This is the first time I have used the System Studio to attempt to program the Edison, and it has yet to work.

Yes, I have tried multiple example programs, and all of them run into the same problem.

As far as setup instructions, I just followed the ones found here: IoT - Installing the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition on Windows* | Intel® Software

I also followed this guide for setting up the environment and uploading to the Edison. Although, it should be noted that when I got to this step:  IoT - Enabling code examples | Intel® Software "For an Intel® Edison board or Intel® Galileo board with Yocto*-built Linux", the command 'opkg install azure-iot-sdk ibm-iotf-embeddedc coreutils' returned an error. Now, I don't think this has an effect on anything outside of the azure or ibm realm, but I just thought I would make note of it. Also, the System Studio IDE does come up with an error "improper of no jdk installed", but i'm not using Java, so I assumed this is not the problem either.

Thank you for the reference to the other thread, and I will make sure to try that with my editor.

Again, I am able to program the Intel Edison with both the XDK and Arduino, its just this IDE that seems to have problems.

Thank you for your help,

-Darius

• 3. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
              Intel Corporation

Hi Darius,

I haven’t tried to install Intel System Studio on Windows 10 (I currently use Windows 8), but I believe I can get a computer with Windows 10. I will try to get one and will run all the steps to install ISS and then run the Blink example, thank you for your detailed reply. And yes, please let me know if the thread I shared with you helps in some way.

Regards,
              Pablo M.

• 4. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                Intel Corporation

Hi Darius,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to find a computer with Windows 10, so I installed Intel System Studio on it to test the Blink example. First, I ran into some error messages regarding Docker but I just ignored them and it appeared to install successfully. When launching ISS I’m getting the “wrong or no JDK installed” error that you mentioned in your post, so I thought I would also have issues when running the Blink example, but that was not the case. I just followed the instructions from here https://software.intel.com/en-us/blinking-an-led-using-c-with-intel-system-studio-iot-edition and everything worked as expected.
                Did you make sure to connect your computer and board to the same network? I ran into this issue at some point, my Edison was connected to a different network so I was getting some error when trying to connect via SSH.

Regards,
                Pablo M.

• 5. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                  Intel Corporation

Hello DariusL,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.

• 6. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                    DariusL

Pedro M.,

Thank you again for your help. You confirmed what I suspected, that the problem has something to do with my machine, although it is good to know that the java jdk was not causing the issue, so I can stop messing with that. I tried uninstalling the system studio and docker, and then tried to reinstall using the instructions you referenced, which seem to be the same or similar to the ones I used originally. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with docker (multiple, actually), and was not able to get to the step of installing the iot system studio.

I then tried to install the iot system studio on a linux box I have. I got it and docker to install, but when I tried to create the project, it started running into errors, and ended up taking 10 minutes to finish creating the project (I'm not sure if this is another problem?). It did eventually create the "blink" example project, but there was a similar problem trying to upload to the Edison, taking much longer than it should have to compile, then ultimately not working, although I'm not sure why.

I also tried installing the iot system studio on another linux box I have (this one has has an Intel cpu instead of an amd, I wasn't sure if it would make a difference), but I ran into problems installing, and have not yet gotten around to solving them.

For the time being, I might just use the Intel sdk with node.js for programming the Edison, although I will continue to try and resolve the issues I am having with the Intel system studio. At the moment, there seems to be a lot of small problems, which I just need to get around to solving, so if I get to a specific problem (or the same one I had originally) I will make sure to update you.

Thank you for helping,

-Darius

• 7. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                      DariusL

Pedro,

I did check to make sure that the board and computer were on the same network (I also ran into this problem in the past), and they appear to be connected to the same router, and I can ssh from my computer to the Edison fine.

-Darius

• 8. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                        Intel Corporation

I've seen the long-time-compiling issue before, it was related to the PC's antivirus. Make sure you add exceptions for ISSIoT in your antivirus, then try to compile the code again and let us know how it goes. 

Regarding the issue installing ISSIoT on your Linux machine, could you please provide us more details about it? What steps did you follow and at what point did the installation failed?

We'll be waiting for your response.
                        Pedro M.

• 9. Re: Intel iss-iot system studio (eclipse C++) not uploading
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Darius,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.