6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 4:39 PM by quoix

HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC

rmilyard

From all my reading on Kodi Forums and AVS seems like there are issues on Kaby Lake CPUs with 3D playback on the HDMI 2.0 port.  Has this been looked into or addressed?  I have preordered an i7 NUC to replace my 5th Gen NUC and this would be an issue for me.

I have all my 3D movies stored on my server as ISO files.  I play them back via Kodi and PowerDVD 16 right now.

• 1. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi rmilyard,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

As far as I am aware, the issue you are referring to hasn't been reported to Intel; however, I would appreciate if you can provide any links/URLs where you found information about the issue.

In addition to this, if you experience issues when you receive your Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH I would recommend contacting support to open a case for you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
            rmilyard

Here is one of the threads from Kodi.

It is towards the back half of this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316

• 3. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
              Intel Corporation

Hi rmilyard,

I did further research and I found the following thread on our community that appears to be similar to the issue you mentioned:

INTEL NUCi7 3D MVC ISSUE

If you have further feedback or questions I recommend you posting on the above thread.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
              Juan Carlos

• 4. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
                quoix

The status of the thread you mentioned is that the issue of 3D frame packing failure on HDMI 2.0 has been acknowledged by INTEL and "engineering" is looking into it.   There is no solution at present and months have ticked by with no progress.  There is also another earlier thread  HD6000 3D Blu ray performance issue that started back in October 2015 on the same issue where the problem with playing 3D ISOs was also acknowledged and sent to engineering.  No solution or report back from engineering was ever provided and the thread was eventually marked "Assumed Answered". 

You would be ill advised to buy Kaby Lake for playing 3D ISO files.  In a nutshell, it does not work and the two threads where the issue is addressed are going nowhere.

• 5. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
                  Intel Corporation

Hello rmilyard,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, I recommend you to open a new thread and include your system configuration and the issue, this because the case related to this thread is already closed.

Best Regards,
                  Juan V.

• 6. Re: HDMI 2.0 3D iso playback on Kaby Lake NUC
                    quoix

The thread referenced by Intel above is eight months old and predecessor threads on the same issue go back approaching two years.  Many posts and assurances from Intel reps that the problem was being pursued.   No details of concrete steps taken have ever been provided (except that they acquired a current OLED and replicated the problem).  The tread has been repeatedly marked "Assumed Answered" (and then reopened after protests that that is clearly false).

Sadly, rmilyard, you will find that you are completely out of luck trying to play back 3D ISOs as all of us have been.  I for one will be astounded if after all this time INTEL actually comes up with a fix or even admits that one will not be forthcoming.  Far more likely they will continue to avoid acknowledging a lack of advertised functionality, and endlessly promise that the problem is being "addressed".