9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 12:35 PM by Intel Corporation

Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH

fubu

Hello,

I'm trying to create a custom BIOS for the NUC 5CPYH kits with the Integrator Toolkit 6.1.5, which according to the download page is the most recent version and should work with my model.

I followed section 2.3.2 ("Importing Features: Step-by-step example") from the included User Guide PDF to create a custom BIO file, based on the newest BIOS revision PY0062, with my custom Visual BIOS settings, custom SMBIOS configuration and a custom logo file, with the following command in the UEFI shell:

ITK6.efi –b –x myCustomBio.bio –ib PY0062.bio –is –ic –il myLogo.jpg

The first problem was that including the SMBIOS configuration does not seem to work: The above command fails with "There was an issue getting feature data for the BIO". When I execute the above command without the "-is" flag, the "myCustomBio.bio" file was successfully created.

Since the SMBIOS is only "nice-to-have" but not strictly necessary, I went on to install the resulting custom BIOS onto another unit (same kit, same internals). The BIOS update process ran through without a problem, the BIOS settings were set as customized, but on reboot the custom logo file didn't get loaded. Instead I now have a blank screen; the different boot options (F2, F7 etc) on the bottom right are still displayed, so I assume it's only some problem with the logo file.

Re-flashing with the "pure" PY0062.bio image does not get me the "Intel NUC" logo back. After reading this thread I'm reluctant to create yet another custom image with the "default" Intel logo file, as I don't want to brick my two test units just yet.

Is there a way to create a custom BIOS image for the NUC5CPYH kit which includes a custom logo and/or a custom SMBIOS configuration?

• 1. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello fubu,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I will do some tests in order to gather some information.

Once I have further details I will update this thread.

Regards,
          Juan Carlos

• 2. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
            Intel Corporation

Hi fubu,

Please find below the steps we followed:

1. Download ITK6.1.5 from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26307/Intel-Integrator-Toolkit
            2. Extract the zip file in a USB thumb drive and insert it into a USB port
            3. Copy the .jpg file in the thumb drive 
              1. .jpg file must be less than 120KB
              2. Width/height larger than 120 px
              3. Width/height less than 1920 / 1080 px
            4. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup
            5. Go to Advanced -> Boot -> Boot Configuration
            6. In the Boot devices pane, enable Internal UEFI Shell
            7. Press F10 to save changes and exit BIOS Setup
            8. When Shell screen in displayed, identify the fs(x) where the Removable device is located
            9. At the command prompt: 
              1. Fsx: <enter> - Where x is the port identification
              2. ITX6.efi -b -x myCustomBio.bio -ic -il file.jpg
            10. The file myCustomBio.bio will be created in the thumb drive directory
            11. Restart the system and update the BIOS using F7 key and select the myCustomBio.bio file
            12. When the screen prompt, press 9 to allow changes in Graphics settings.
            13. Once the update finishes, the new splash image will be displayed.

Please try the steps above and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
            Juan Carlos

• 3. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
              fubu

Hey Juan Carlos,

I followed your instructions to the letter, without success. According to the screen output everything went fine with creating and flashing the image, but there is still no splash image displayed. For reference, here's the logo I used to test this, and the resulting BIO file, which does not work as expected on both my 5CPYH kits. Inspecting the BIO file with a HEX editor also didn't result in anything useful.

Just to be sure not to miss anything:

• I'm using the NUC5CPYH kit (2 units) with my own RAM and SSD installed.
              • BIOS version which was installed on both units was PY0062.bio
              • You tested the same configuration (a NUC5CPYH kit), and following your steps produced an image with custom splash logo?

I quickly tested an older unit I had bought earlier, which is still on PY0050.bio, but no success either: That unit now also has a "blank" splash logo.

Thanks for the help so far!

Kind regards,

fubu

• 4. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                noah.mcaulay

Hey fubu,

I've sent you a private message for assistance with helping me debug this issue. Could you please respond when you get a chance?

Thanks!

-Noah

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                  Intel Corporation

Hi fubu,

I wanted to know if the information shared by noah.mcaulay helped you to solve the issue?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
                  Juan Carlos

• 6. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                    fubu

Hey Juan Carlos,

yes, I talked to Noah about the issue and he gave me access to a modified ITK binary which resolved the issue. In short: The issue was triggered by my monitor, which is a custom-made solution for a customer. With off-the-shelf monitors the original ITK (and the steps described by you and the manual) work as expected.

While debugging this we also solved the SMBIOS issue: ITK wasn't able to copy the SMBIOS configuration into my BIO image because the "Chassis Type" has to be set explicitly - on a fresh unit it currently shows up as set to 1 (according to "ITK.efi -s -p"), although the value is actually not yet set. As soon as I set it (with e.g. "ITK.efi -s -t chassis -f type -v 1"), I was also able to include the SMBIOS config into my custom image.

According to Noah the fix for the monitor issue will land in an official release sometimes in the future, as well as some improvements to the SMBIOS handling which we discovered along the way.

Thanks for all the help!

• 7. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                      Intel Corporation

Hi fubu,

Thank you for the update.

I am glad to hear it worked now.

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                      JC

• 8. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                        BasdenBoer

Hi Juan,

I think I have the same problem. I also have a NUC5PYH and when using this cmd line: "itk6.efi -b -x MyCustomBios.bio -il MyLogo.jpg" then I get "There was an issue creating/opening the .bio: MyCustomBios.bio.

When Using "itk6.efi -b -x MyCustomBios.bio -ic -il MyLogo.jpg" I get "There was an issue getting the current BIOS custom settings"

I have the PY0064 Firmware.

Please help?

Thanks,

Bas den Boer

NC Automatisering

• 9. Re: Problems with Integrator Toolkit on 5CPYH
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® NUC communities. We are sorry to hear the tool is not working as expected.

In order for us to better assist you, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:
                          https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
                          Alberto R